Sponsored

Just another reason for additional driving lights... headlights covered in snow / ice

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Driving home would have been extremely difficult this morning. Headlights were worthless on dims.

Ford Bronco Just another reason for additional driving lights... headlights covered in snow / ice IMG_4032
Ford Bronco Just another reason for additional driving lights... headlights covered in snow / ice IMG_4034
Sponsored

OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I actually checked to make sure they hadn’t somehow got turned to park lights. I’d turn my driving lights off when I met another car and I couldn’t see shit in front of me.

Sponsored
OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've had this issue as well, though I really think it depends on the type of snow falling.
Yeah. This was wet snow, but still not that much.
This is how much we got, but enough to cut out almost all the dim light.
Ford Bronco Just another reason for additional driving lights... headlights covered in snow / ice IMG_4037

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I actually checked to make sure they hadn’t somehow got turned to park lights. I’d turn my driving lights off when I met another car and I couldn’t see shit in front of me.
Are you using ditch lights, roof mounted or fogs to supplement? Or all of the above?

Dan-O

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Snow/ice accumulation used to be hindered as halogen headlights generated some heat to prevent build up, now with LED headlights they don’t generate quite as much heat and the build up is easier in cold conditions…..You could always move down here to Arizona instead of installing additional lights….😁

KC5MO

Wildtrak
First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak, 1975 CJ5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
LEDs are useless in ice or snow conditions because they can't generate enough heat to melt the ice/snow. Same issue with early production LED tower obstruction beacons. They now have heaters to melt the ice and snow.

Sponsored

mrjking2000

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BadSasquatch, 2019 F-250 PowerStroker
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
LEDs don't make heat. driving in a full on snowstorm it just happens. something you have to be aware of now adays. Major PITA when we deploy on winter blizzard SAR missions.

my aftermarket DOT legal yellow fogs on the other hand seem to generate enough heat (higher intensity or just more heat in that small lamp) and snow hasn't built up on them yet. and I don't feel bad for driving with them on since they have an extremely sharp cutoff line that doesn't blind the hell out of oncoming traffic.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last winter I drove through major blizzards in Colorado and Utah on a Ski trip -- turned out to be a historical record for snow. Never had a problem with headlights. I cleaned them off once at a gas stop and the buildup was worse than these photos, but the reduction in light was hardly noticeable. Most aftermarket lights are for off road use only, and there are plenty of idiots driving on road with these lights putting everyone else at risk. If you cause an accident driving with illegal lights, you will be at liable and at fault - -just saying...

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

LEDs are useless in ice or snow conditions because they can't generate enough heat to melt the ice/snow. Same issue with early production LED tower obstruction beacons. They now have heaters to melt the ice and snow.
Incandescent are the same actually. LEDs themselves don't produce heat but there is heat produced by the electronics. That's why a lot of these LED Lights are in such big housings. To help aim that light AND to help cool things down.

I've been living in NY since... well since I was born. I've always had issues with every car in the winter IF the snow and it was falling down hard.

I remember times driving in NJ in my old truck where I had to stop every few miles and clean the headlights off because the wet snow kept sticking to them.

It's going to happen unless you've got this big massive heater BUT that heater is going to cause the bulbs to fail quickly.

Incandescent have the heat AT the bulb and LEDs have them behind so yes there IS a heat difference but in my opinion not enough that it's going to make much of a difference.

People have been battling snow on headlights since the headlight was created. HID, Incandescent, LED, Laser... eventually the right type of snow WILL stick especially when you are driving down the highway and you're COOLING the housing down as you drive.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

bronco headlights are worthless in normal conditions
You're either blind, have the standard headlights, or are exaggerating.

Signature lights are great on my Badlands.
Sponsored