Sponsored

Keeping a GoPro Hero 11 Cooler (and running)

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bought a GoPro to document our off-road adventures including an upcoming trip to Death Valley and Moab. So I'm learning how to use it. Won't be used as a dash cam. May handheld occasionally. Very cool tech if it just didn't overheat and shut down.

Generally mount in the center of the dash on 67 Designs Bronco ball and GoPro mount and connect to the Lux usb power nearby when we head off road. Of course it works fine until it doesn't and shuts down. I've spent quite a bit of time researching the why and how to fix overheating. Have changed all the settings so camera doesn't have to work as hard including 4k/30 from 5.3/30, lower bit rate, one minute rear screen time, high quality memory card, etc, etc. All the usual stuff. Not willing to go any lower on video quality. I guess they all help to some extent. Removing the battery door and battery while connected to power yields a big improvement but the inevitable still occurs. None of these solutions allow me to record an entire day on the trail then edit it down to a condensed form later.

Does anyone have any fixes or ideas? I know the CAMCooler 9Ten11 exists. Anyone use it.

Thanks. Contented

Ford Bronco Keeping a GoPro Hero 11 Cooler (and running) IMG_1527

Ford Bronco Keeping a GoPro Hero 11 Cooler (and running) IMG_1528
Sponsored

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.buckwalter.racing
Vehicle(s)
Charger, Durango, Grand Caravan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We use 3BR Powersports (https://3brpowersports.com/) mounts to record 8+ straight hours Racing in Baja. GoPro battery removed, and each GoPro powered by an Anker external battery. We’re on Hero 8 and 9, so I can’t speak to the 11.

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I run a $80 Akaso that goes unlimited at 4K without overheating. I keep it on as a dash cam.
Ford Bronco Keeping a GoPro Hero 11 Cooler (and running) 1679918458956

voxel

Heritage
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

So is CAMCooler the only solution? (https://camcooler.com/product/camcooler-a-gopro-cooler-for-hero-9-10-11-12/)

My GoPro 11 Black has overheated almost a dozen times in various trail rides I've done in the past 3 months. It was incredibility annoying yesterday as it shut down three times in 5 hours - each time I threw it into my cooler in the passenger seat. I can't imagine the GoPro lasting a Florida summer.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
And now I'm rethinking my ideas of getting a GoPro and doing exactly this. I thought it was the best solution, I had no idea they overheated so easily. Seems like a pisspoor design to me.
Sponsored