Sponsored

Let there be power: Dual-battery setup? Other options?

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, as I've been trying to get ideas together for mods for my Badlands Lux, I've been thinking about the Bronco having multiple outlets, Zone Lighting, and all that. I would like to be able to use those lights or power ports without killing the battery, and have been wondering about what it would take to avoid killing the battery.

I don't want a huge power cell sitting in the cargo area since that takes up a bunch of space, and I haven't really looking into specifics of the 6G Bronco itself, so I was wondering if anyone had tips or had gotten creative. I am thinking about a dual-battery system since that's so common, but that is only because that's the only knowledge I have of this kind of stuff. I'd also love if there was some official Ford setup, but that's just me wanting to cover myself for the warranty.

Dual-battery info:
https://www.drivingline.com/articles/dual-battery-systems-what-you-need-to-know/
https://battlebornbatteries.com/best-overland-battery-setup/

Dakota Lithium setup:
https://www.takethetruck.com/blog/overlanding-battery

Mods, I put this post in Electrical, but if it makes sense to put it under Rig Builds or something else please move it!
Sponsored

Last edited:

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Whatever you decide make sure your lithium battery won’t charge below 32 ambient or has a heater. Rumor has it upper mid west can get a little cold and lithium batteries get mad when you charge them in the cold. Pretty cool you’re looking at batteries from my neck of the woods. (Battle Born).

vicorjh

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

"The DL+ 135ah overland battery is made with high quality LiFePO4 lithium cells and rated for up to 2500 cycles at 80%, and it has internal heating for low temp charging and protection in extremely cold climates. Dakota Lithium indicates a optimal operation temperature range as low as -20℉, or up to +150℉. The internal even-heat technology allows for charging below 32℉ and the BMS high temp cuts off at 167℉."

Built-in heater? Or is it simply charging loss that heats the battery?

edit: damn, those things are some $$$.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Look up Will Prowse on YouTube. He's got alotta information on lithium batteries and solar related stuff. The whole freezing weather and cost of lithium caused me to go simple lead acid when I built my trailer. Yes, I'm aware of why that was a bad idea, but that's what I did.

OP
OP
l88m22vette

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The weather was definitely a consideration, Chicagoland can get really cold and I get to Wisconsin and Michigan pretty often. The Dakota Lithium is cool, but I do wonder about weather reliability, and I'm kind of sketchy about lithium batteries overall. I like the idea of a solar panel, I hadn't thought about that. I have thought about trying to squirrel away a dry cell battery in the interior to skip some of the drama of battery chemistry and temps, but I don't think the capacity would be worth the effort since there isn't a big chunk of extra room anywhere.

Sponsored

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Pretty limited on batteries and cannot use LiPo. I run Std, AMG Deep Cycle and LiPo in my boat and have 3 different chargers. Could get away with 2 but my Lipo charger can use 120 Volt or solar to charge. I can run my trolling motor for 2-days on the LiPo as compared to about 6 hours with the Deep Cycle. If I'm not using it for a few days I just let the solar charger do its thing. If I'm using it the next day the 110 side will top it off in a few hours.

wisaabi

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Pretty limited on batteries and cannot use LiPo. I run Std, AMG Deep Cycle and LiPo in my boat and have 3 different chargers. Could get away with 2 but my Lipo charger can use 120 Volt or solar to charge. I can run my trolling motor for 2-days on the LiPo as compared to about 6 hours with the Deep Cycle. If I'm not using it for a few days I just let the solar charger do its thing. If I'm using it the next day the 110 side will top it off in a few hours.
They show mostly AGM but in thier videos they indicated it works with lithium (it doesn’t care what type of battery as long as they match) but they did say not to use lead acid. I’m going for lithium as well. The concern I have is the limit on alternator amperage with the lithium batteries, I’m trying to figure out if it should be a concern since it’s a 240amp alternator.

Seems like it would be fairly easy to go from this system to an inverter and solar setups.

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

edit: damn, those things are some $$$.
Yeah, and some of the sub $500 batteries have the same specs and some have better warranties with more recharge cycles. Before I bought mine for the boat I spent months reviewing LiPo's and after watching teardowns, component comparisons, cell voltage balance comparisons, torture tests, etc. decided that Battle Born and Dakota, etc. were just not worth double or triple the price.

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

They show mostly AGM but in thier videos they indicated it works with lithium (it doesn’t care what type of battery as long as they match) but they did say not to use lead acid. I’m going for lithium as well. The concern I have is the limit on alternator amperage with the lithium batteries, I’m trying to figure out if it should be a concern since it’s a 240amp alternator.

Seems like it would be fairly easy to go from this system to an inverter and solar setups.
You need to check with LiPo mfgs and their recommendations for using stock alternators. I would hate to see someone spend that kind of money only to have the battery mfg walk away from the warranty because of charging or Ford walking away because your alternator is toast.

Another consideration is the "brains" in the LiPo battery, it may not accept a charge with high under hood temps..

Sponsored

Fishwrinkle

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 GC overland 5.7, 18 GC srt 6.4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
1st off i'm no electrician, but the 135ah lipo can handle a max of a 135a alt. the bronco has a 240a alt. curious as how you'd dumb it down?

wisaabi

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That’s my same question. And I need to do a little research on how these new alternators work. I’m going to see if Genisis Offroad has any input.

My other thought is if these guys would sell just the bracket setup you could manage everything with a reward dc-dc charger which will work with our alternator.
Sponsored