First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I called fumoto 2 months ago. They have been trying to develop a valve for the plastic oil pan BUT from the sounds of it they were not having much luck then covid hit. I told them the bronco is coming so additional sales could be had if they get back and try again.

Fumoto is the biggest player in the market .. I doubt we see someone else trying to do something. Ford plastic oil pans have been out for over 5 years now and ronin is the only one doing it right now.

a bit more expensive than a fumoto, but there are options like this that work on the plastic pans. I suspect we will see more options of these come to market in the coming years too.

https://roninfactory.com/products/ford-f150-raptor-oil-drain-ronin-factory

putting the brakes into maintenance mode takes like 30 seconds and no tools on the f-150, I suspect the bronco will be similar. I wouldnā€™t consider this a detriment to maintenance.
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder how you release the parking brake for a dead battery? Seems like some BMWs had an access plate to ratchet the mechanism. It's still more work than just releasing a handle or pushing a pedal. If your brakes fail going down the road, is the procedure to apply the parking brake to hold the lever out from the dash and pray?
For a brake failure, electronic parking brakes are typically a separate system (basically a traditional parking brake actuated by a small motor). If the car is in motion/driving, applying the electronic parking brake results in a slow and even application of braking force to bring the vehicle to a safe and controlled stop.

For dead battery, what type of situation are you envisioning? It would not take a lot of residual charge to disengage the brakes, so thereā€™s a chance you could do that anyway. If what youā€™re imagining is the vehicle is 100% dead, or there is no battery in the vehicle, and you need to push it around... you could temp apply 12v to actuate the electronic circuit (if there is not an easy manual override).
If the question is what happens if that specific circuit fails for whatever reason, well then weā€™re going down the rabbit hole of ā€œwhat ifā€™sā€ on modern vehicles.

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I called fumoto 2 months ago. They have been trying to develop a valve for the plastic oil pan BUT from the sounds of it they were not having much luck then covid hit. I told them the bronco is coming so additional sales could be had if they get back and try again.

Fumoto is the biggest player in the market .. I doubt we see someone else trying to do something. Ford plastic oil pans have been out for over 5 years now and ronin is the only one doing it right now.
Fair point, hopefully fumoto has some success in that.

I think part of it is that so few people change their own oil that there isnā€™t much of a market for stuff to make it easier, but thatā€™s just a guess.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
the current gen f150 with the 3.5EB has a plastic oil pan. For whatever reason, Ford stopped using the plastic oil pan on Feb 26 2018 and no one knows why. I know on the raptor forum there are several guys with 2017 and 2018 trucks has have had issues with leaking. Some owners are on their 3rd plastic oil pan,

A member on the Raptor forum who is Ford mechanic said it was a defective adhesive or the incorrect usage of that adhesive.

I just hope ford uses a metal oil pan instead of the plastic on the 2.7. The 2.3 comes with a metal oil pan.

Fair point, hopefully fumoto has some success in that.

I think part of it is that so few people change their own oil that there isnā€™t much of a market for stuff to make it easier, but thatā€™s just a guess.

Last edited:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the current gen f150 with the 3.5EB has a plastic oil pan. For whatever reason, Ford stopped using the plastic oil on Feb 26 2018 and no one knows why. I know on the raptor forum there are several guys with 2017 and 2018 trucks has have had issues with leaking. Some owners are on their 3rd plastic oil pan,

A member on the Raptor forum who is Ford mechanic said it was a defective adhesive or the incorrect usage of that adhesive.

I just hope ford uses a metal oil pan instead of the plastic on the 2.7. The 2.3 comes with a metal oil pan.
Im one of these guys. Have a ā€˜17 f150 w/ 3.5 and had the plastic pan replaced at 35k miles for leaking.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Similar to my aftermarket jeep skid plates, the company drilled an access hole to stick the fumoto drain tube down. Would be easy to do to a stock skid plate. Lets hope they use the metal pan in the bronco and not the plastic pan like my 3.5.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thatā€™s always been my Dadā€™s philosophy. He would rather work more and pay the mechanic what heā€™s good at vs waste his own time trying to puzzle through a modern engine bay.

That does not apply to good-old-fashioned elbow grease stuff though. Or home improvement, because he actually enjoys that stuff.

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

the current gen f150 with the 3.5EB has a plastic oil pan. For whatever reason, Ford stopped using the plastic oil pan on Feb 26 2018 and no one knows why. I know on the raptor forum there are several guys with 2017 and 2018 trucks has have had issues with leaking. Some owners are on their 3rd plastic oil pan,

I had heard on this forum that the 2.7 is a plastic oil pan. I don't get why they would metal on one engine and plastic on another.

Treeza61

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2013 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think all of those things are super easy...I drop it off around 7:30 and pick it up at 5...I barely even get my hands greasy...: )
I canā€™t even see inside my F250!

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I canā€™t even see inside my F250!
I had an '01 250 and it stalled in the middle of the largest intersection in San Antonio. Being a supercrew on 39.5 x 15.5 tires four guys could not budge that pig. Thankfully I carried a 10mm box wrench and a CPS (Cam Positioning Sensor) in the glove box. 10 minutes later I was on the road.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
correct! The 2.7 has a plastic oil pan. BUT the 3.5 started with a plastic one then was switched on Feb 2018 to metal ...

I had heard on this forum that the 2.7 is a plastic oil pan. I don't get why they would metal on one engine and plastic on another.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
As somebody who has participated in the issues of a flatty head gasket replacement on a buddy's '41, and those 24 friken head bolts (on each side), what a PITA those are! Having to track which bolts go in which location due to water passages, exhaust passages, depth, etc. Then having coolant dripping everywhere and gaskets which are unique for each bank of cylinders.....

Ford Bronco Let's get real on maintenance 20180509_193013

Modern cars are so easy to work on for basic maintenance. Especially as any actual regular maintenance has been engineered to be easy/accessible, and anything else is mostly replacing parts or drinking a beer at home while the tech plugs in diagnostic tools so the ECU tells them what's the problem.
Sponsored