The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just use an oil extractor. Takes maybe 10 minutes to replace the oil/filter, no jacks/lift, no drain pan to mess with, no skid plates to remove, no crush washer to replace.

The bias against extractors seems to hinge on folks forgetting that there is a FILTER between the oil pan and the oil pump. It's not like draining through the bottom magically scrapes all the sludge and solid matter off the bottom of the pan, either.

Last edited:

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not really all that interesting. They’re just a lot easier to remove in an F-18 than it was in an F-14.
I guess F-18 is new Gen, I love the F-14 Tomcat. Sad that the Military is now destroying all the remaining Tomcats which are no longer in use.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I used to DIY when I wore a younger mans cloths, but that has changed. Like Michael above I would rather let the dealers Techs do the work while I walk around the lot with a cup of Joe, looking at the new cars/trucks, or just shoot the breeze with a couple friends that work there.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I used to DIY when I wore a younger mans cloths, but that has changed. Like Michael above I would rather let the dealers Techs do the work while I walk around the lot with a cup of Joe, looking at the new cars/trucks, or just shoot the breeze with a couple friends that work there.
Yep

When I had my 04 and then 07 Mustang I used to like changing the oil and doing some work my self. Not anymore. I'd rather just let them do it. I just told the wife the other day that her explorer is going to be due for brakes soon. I am fully capable of doing brakes, I just hate doing it now.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

1. The 2.7 it is on top of the engine towards the front, super easy, but it is a canister, replace the filter, and o rings, then just make sure you use a torque wrench to re-install.

edit: see next comment by @Rick Astley about ranger/2.3 oil change.

2. both engines seem to have the coils and plugs pretty accessible. The 2.3 may be slightly easier (in the pictures all the coils are right on top, and I suspect the plug is just a deep reach extension. Mustang or ranger guys may have more input on this though.)

for my 2.7, I haven’t had to bother with the plugs yet, they last for nearly 100k, but having seen some videos on it, same process, pull the plastic engine cover, pull the coil out, deep reach wrench and pull the plug.

3. Brake pads are going to be roughly the same as any other modern vehicle....

4. Haven’t gotten to this on my 2.7 yet (haven’t needed to) but I've heard they don’t use a tensioner, and instead you slip it on then rotate the engine (like installing a bike chain). With all the plumbing it definitely won’t be as easy as the 5.8 on my 96 bronco was.

5. Both engines it’s on the front of it, getting a good seal may be a little bit of a pain if you try and work around the plumbing, personally I’d pull all the intake ducting before doing this. That being said, I haven’t heard of water pump issues with either of these engines.

6. All pictures show the battery should be easily accessible.

C81ABD4C-ADCD-41E8-A042-9809F9A8D889.jpeg

5B6C85F9-C8D4-4ED5-A784-366BE8FB5CAD.jpeg

1413330F-2596-4FD2-8F72-EE04A4933D0A.jpeg

1115BFFA-4F64-4A43-AB02-33F7E576881F.jpeg

DA98F3DF-4B38-4CDD-A1A9-379697897885.png

1AF304BA-0CE6-4599-8D28-65AA37BC6392.png

D435B824-E582-482B-A5F9-0B9EC27B2EBE.jpeg

edit: typos.
Your narrative is encouraging, your photos depressing...

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Betting that on Bronco there was consideration for impact while operating in reverse (such as getting down from high-center, or backing down rocks to take a better/different line up), and that would be what necessitates having to remove bash plates to access the oil drain plug.
Hoping that the bash plates are extended, but they still leave an access hole to remove the drain plug.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

1597770172678.jpeg

That‘s got to be the most accessible engine I’ve ever seen. ?
This is the illustration for step #457 of the "how to replace the water pump" in the service manual

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Let's pray that Ford uses a metal oil pan on the 2.7. BTW .. the 3.5 use to have a plastic oil pan and on Feb 28, 2018 Ford replaced it with a metal oil pan. YAY!

PLEASE FORD! I don't care about a white top. I care about functionality. A metal oil pan allows me to use a Fumoto valve so that oil does not gush out all over my drive way.

BTW .. no one has mentioned this. The bronco uses a electric parking brake so there is a sequence you must go through to release it before you can access the rear pads.

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I wonder how you release the parking brake for a dead battery? Seems like some BMWs had an access plate to ratchet the mechanism. It's still more work than just releasing a handle or pushing a pedal. If your brakes fail going down the road, is the procedure to apply the parking brake to hold the lever out from the dash and pray?

Sponsored

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I wonder how you release the parking brake for a dead battery? Seems like some BMWs had an access plate to ratchet the mechanism. It's still more work than just releasing a handle or pushing a pedal. If your brakes fail going down the road, is the procedure to apply the parking brake to hold the lever out from the dash and pray?
Hmm, dead battery would be an issue. I would install a mechanical emergency disc brake at the end of the driveshaft where it connects to the t-case. They work incredibly.

Brocked

Wildtrak
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Let's pray that Ford uses a metal oil pan on the 2.7. BTW .. the 3.5 use to have a plastic oil pan and on Feb 28, 2018 Ford replaced it with a metal oil pan. YAY!

PLEASE FORD! I don't care about a white top. I care about functionality. A metal oil pan allows me to use a Fumoto valve so that oil does not gush out all over my drive way.

BTW .. no one has mentioned this. The bronco uses a electric parking brake so there is a sequence you must go through to release it before you can access the rear pads.
I know newer Lincoln’s all have electronic parking brakes. You can put the car in “brake service” mode from the dash interface. This will allow you to service the brakes.

splatrd

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado, Chevy Camaro SS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So, the Bronco looks amazing and it appears the designers emphasized ease of adding/removing accessories. However, I want to know what really matters....

1. Is the oil filter in easy accessible location for replacement?
2. Do I have to take the whole top end apart to replace the spark plugs?
3. Are the brake pads easy to replace or do I need some stupid special metric tool?
4. How about changing that serpentine belt? Is the tensioner easy to get at?
5. Is the waterpump easy to get at?
6. Can I access the battery terminals to jump start a friend?
Modern cars should not require that much in the way of maintenance other than routine oil changes, tires, and air filters. If I have to do anything more than that to a new vehicle in the first 100k miles, than I trade or sell it. The biggest problem with modern engines is direct injection that in some makes can wreak havoc in as little as 40k miles, but some can be attributed to owner and driving habits. If I had to replace spark plugs or water pump inside of 5 years or 100k miles, I would never buy another vehicle from that manufacturer. My wife had a Subaru Crosstrek we ordered brand new. Inside of a year it started have oil burning issues. Dealer would just top off and say nothing wrong even though there was evidence factory knew they put wrong piston rings in. Sold that POS and will never buy another Subaru again.

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

a bit more expensive than a fumoto, but there are options like this that work on the plastic pans. I suspect we will see more options of these come to market in the coming years too.

https://roninfactory.com/products/ford-f150-raptor-oil-drain-ronin-factory

putting the brakes into maintenance mode takes like 30 seconds and no tools on the f-150, I suspect the bronco will be similar. I wouldn’t consider this a detriment to maintenance.
Sponsored