Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is certainly not an important or exciting topic, but one that I have been wondering about during the 19 lunar cycles I have been on this forum for.
When people post pictures on here of their Bronco or any other vehicle they tend to post pictures of, 9 out of 10 people mask/block/ cover their license plate numbers/letters. Just curious as to why people go through the effort of doing this? What am I missing? It is not a social security number or a credit card number. What can/would anyone do with your license plate info? I can walk by your house or through a parking lot and see anyones plate? Why is it any different when putting a picture of your plate on the internet?

Are people worrying about someone stealing their soul or their first born by using their license plate number? Again, not a super thrilling topic, I was just hoping someone might be able to shed some light as to why so many feel this practice is necessary?
Thanks

Ford Bronco License Plate Question 1646602932705
Sponsored

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

LOL - I donā€™t understand either @Herbie
Maybe itā€™s too much weed - the paranoia is realā€¦

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I paid good money for my license plate, so I want people to see it. I was going to leave it off of the front, but I want people to see it, so I put it on a couple of days ago.

The reason for blurring a license plate is bogus in my opinion. Supposedly people can look you up somehow, but so what?

XShA26w.jpg

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is certainly not an important or exciting topic, but one that I have been wondering about during the 19 lunar cycles I have been on this forum for.
When people post pictures on here of their Bronco or any other vehicle they tend to post pictures of, 9 out of 10 people mask/block/ cover their license plate numbers/letters. Just curious as to why people go through the effort of doing this? What am I missing? It is not a social security number or a credit card number. What can/would anyone do with your license plate info? I can walk by your house or through a parking lot and see anyones plate? Why is it any different when putting a picture of your plate on the internet?

Are people worrying about someone stealing their soul or their first born by using their license plate number? Again, not a super thrilling topic, I was just hoping someone might be able to shed some light as to why so many feel this practice is necessary?
Thanks

Ford Bronco License Plate Question XShA26w
I have wondered that myself. Could be why I don't mask mine in pics.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

They worry someone can track them down. But itā€™s not like you arenā€™t driving around all day every day with unblocked plate. Anyone that sees you could track you down, or just follow you homeā€¦šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wonder if those people also cover up the VIN on the dashboard, cuz, yā€™knowā€¦

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They worry someone can track them down. But itā€™s not like you arenā€™t driving around all day every day with unblocked plate. Anyone that sees you could track you down, or just follow you homeā€¦šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø
While true, the local population cannot touch the reach of the internet. You can easily source information about a person through the plate when itā€™s posted online. Posting in a rather direct and accessible venue like a forum can definitely make people second guess. I donā€™t blame anyone for it at all

Seacat

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2014 VW Touareg TDI R-Line
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here's mine, just waiting on the Bronco.

Ford Bronco License Plate Question Resized_20211029_083217

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
so you look and notice that the plates are covered up... My guess is some folks don't want folks who look to see if plates are covered up to see theirs. The fact that you commented means it bothers you on some level that you cannot see their plates.

or they don't want some bot to tag them in an off road situation or anywhere that their insurance company might use that to deny a claim. Some people just don't want to make it easy for anyone to track them whenever they can help it. I am not a big fan of folks I don't know making my business theirs.

Whatever reason they have is good enough for me. Why are you so concerned about seeing other people's plates?

OP
OP
Herbie

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not gonna bite.

Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I want everyone to see mine

Ford Bronco License Plate Question 4C564758-9A29-4022-B413-1AF605199F81

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Why are you so concerned about seeing other people's plates?
You've kind of escalated idle curiosity to serious concern.

Is it not okay to wonder about things that don't seem to make sense?

Broski5738

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I drive around with my plate blocked so cars that see me can't remember it and look me up later. been pulled over a few times, but all but once I successfully explained to the cop why I did it, and they agreed enough to let me go.

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As was already mentioned when you are out and about your plate is not blurred out. Nothin keeping anybody from taking a picture of that.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

While true, the local population cannot touch the reach of the internet. You can easily source information about a person through the plate when itā€™s posted online. Posting in a rather direct and accessible venue like a forum can definitely make people second guess. I donā€™t blame anyone for it at all
just FYI...there's more information in the exif data of your photo than there is in your license plate, especially if you took said photo with the camera on your phone.
Sponsored