Sponsored

Mabett wireless phone charger - base install success!

Bronc OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Pretty stoked, amazon driver just dropped off my Mabett wireless charging pad. Although I bought a basesqautch, I really wanted wireless charging, so I've been anxiously awaiting this release. I'll post a writeup with install pictures and a video shortly.

*** updated posting w/ instructions on how to install new console and wireless charging pad on the base bronco ***

Ford Bronco Mabett wireless phone charger - base install success! 20221120_164955

So what I didn't realize originally was that the Base bronco doesn't have a cutout at the bottom of the console.

Ford Bronco Mabett wireless phone charger - base install success! old console

After some research (thanks @flip), I was able to determine that the console part # M2DZ-78044D90-DA would work as a replacement and give me the cutout. There weren't any good pictures of this part available online, but thankfully it arrived with the removable panel:

Ford Bronco Mabett wireless phone charger - base install success! new console with cutout

So here are the steps to remove:

1.) remove grab handle torx bolts
2.) set parking brake, shift to neutral (will make it easier to remove screws later)
3.) carefully pry up clips back to front on both sides. use a plastic spudging tool, as we know bronco plastic scratches easily
4.) disconnect small wire on shift boot
5.) remove 2 small phillips screws holding shift boot onto shift column
6.) disconnect goat model dial wire
7.) disconnect USB charging wire

Now your console should come out of the vehicle

8.) carefully remove parking boot. This was tricky as it has 4 plastic clips. After some thought, the easiest way was to put the plastic spudging tool down the top/side of the boot and carefully pry the retaining ring inward

Ford Bronco Mabett wireless phone charger - base install success! pry out boot

9.) remove goat mode dial. There are 4 clips.. easiest was to push each down on at a time while standing the console upright

10.) remove USB charging insert.. same as #9, 4 clips

At this point, everything should be out of the old console.
Ford Bronco Mabett wireless phone charger - base install success! boot removed

11.) reinstall boot, goat mode dial, usb charger into new console, screw in mabett charging pad

12.) connect the Mabett harness inline with the USB charger

13.) reinstall console back into Bronco, don't forget to reconnect all power clips (USB, Goat dial, Shifter). 2 screws into shift boot

Voila! My charging pad turned red, then blue when charging. The rubber shroud fits pretty nicely, will mold into the area a little better next time it's out in the sun

Ford Bronco Mabett wireless phone charger - base install success! charger installed
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bronc OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, crap. Hit a wall already. Seems the base console doesn't have the factory cutout like the rest of the models. Been reading through other threads and it seems I need to either a.) cut a hole in the console and rig up a way to glue it in place or b.) order part # M2DZ-78044D90-DA to replace the console with one with a cutout?

bottom console.jpg

Kfonte

Base
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ahhh man that’s sucks! You got further than I did, I couldn’t get my gorilla hand to unscrew the two small screws on the stick. I’ve got a base too, so I would’ve been pretty pissed if I saw that myself after toiling with those screws for another hour. Please update on how you made it work.

OP
OP

Bronc OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ahhh man that’s sucks! You got further than I did, I couldn’t get my gorilla hand to unscrew the two small screws on the stick. I’ve got a base too, so I would’ve been pretty pissed if I saw that myself after toiling with those screws for another hour. Please update on how you made it work.
Ah, I got stuck there too. I was able to get my hand in there after I put it in neutral and used a stubby Phillips screwdriver.

I'm probably going to buy the replacement base. I'll keep the thread updated.

Kfonte

Base
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ah, I got stuck there too. I was able to get my hand in there after I put it in neutral and used a stubby Phillips screwdriver.

I'm probably going to buy the replacement base. I'll keep the thread updated.
Any idea how much it costs?

Sponsored

McLovin

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a Base as well and didn't see the cutout like the one the instruction video had....so I reluctantly took it out of my Amazon cart. I am glad to know I'm not alone. I will be following this thread to see if you can make it work. Good luck!

OP
OP

Bronc OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Success on ordering + installing the new console M2DZ-78044D90-DA (w/out wireless charging) and the Mabett charging pad. I considered ordering the M2DZ-78044D90-BB (with wireless charging) version, but it was backordered nationally. The DA version was about $15 more...my guess is that it costs a little more b/c it includes the insert.
Ford Bronco Mabett wireless phone charger - base install success! charger installed

rlgreene21

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So does this wireless charger actually work and charge the phone quickly and not over heat it?

OP
OP

Bronc OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
So does this wireless charger actually work and charge the phone quickly and not over heat it?
I just got it installed last night and charged my pixel7 for about 5 mins driving around the neighborhood. It is a 15a charger (I think factory is 5a) so charging should be a little faster. It didn't get hot, but I need to test it further.

sameoldeddie

Wildtrak
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Gray Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’ve had mine installed for a month or so and it works great. My phone is in a magsafe compatible case and it does get warm but it doesn’t overheat. I run navigation through wireless CarPlay and it still gains charge during use whereas my previous charger only managed to slow down battery drain

Sponsored

mannyjag

Badlands
First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glad you were able to get it done!
i had mine put in as well and i love it! no visible charging wires!! the only downfall from my installation is losing 1 Philips screw during the initial removal of the shifter knob. it fell in the shaft :(

mdk100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Cayenne, BMW X3e, 2 door BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a BaseSquatch too. Thanks for the write up. How much was the new console part? Online it’s almost $300.

OP
OP

Bronc OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a BaseSquatch too. Thanks for the write up. How much was the new console part? Online it’s almost $300.
I shopped around online via the various ford dealers... it's not cheap. I think it was around $225-250 at the time.

No issues or side effects yet.
Sponsored