Sponsored

Manual Transmission Repair- Did I pick the wrong dealer?

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2013 F-150 XLT HDPP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, I apologize for the length of this post upfront, yep, it's one of those. I'll try to stay on point.
Chrolonogy of events:
Late last year, hear grinding noise for the first time. I think well maybe, I got some mud or dirt wedged in the clutch or pressure plate, not sure you can do that, but I think so. Just a low, sort of dirt grinding sound, it never goes away, but is only noticeable at low speeds and certain gears.
Shortly after, I see multiple posts on this forum and others about the Manual Transmission TSB.

Early March, 2023. After a few calls to a local dealership, I finally get them to look at it. They have it for a day and a half. They confirm it meets the TSB for the manual. This point is important later!!
Five months go by because Ford, a multi-billion company can't find out were to get parts for their products🤷‍♂️. In early August, I comment about the transmission on another's post and tell them I like it, but for this one issue and that I'm still waiting on parts. Two other people respond saying my dealer is sand bagging, Ford has had those parts for a month or two now and my dealer forgot about me.🤦‍♂️

August 16, so, after four calls to try to get the Bronco in. They say it should take a week. They offer a loaner, I pass since I have an F-150.

August 21, they call me up and say they can't hear the noise and/or doesn't meet the spec to have the TSB done. Naturally, I am shocked, mostly because they already confirmed it meet the noise level for the TSB back in March...well, it didn't get better. They mentioned several things it could be, none of which made any sense, because they weren't real issues and the transmission still made the sound in neutral, the vehicle didn't have to move to make the sound. I will cover this in a video in high detail later, as I don't have the Bronco to provide the accompanying photos. They ask me to come in and drive around with the tech. I agree.

August 22, I stop by the dealer, drive around with the tech and am able to demonstrate the issue, the tech agrees, and the service advisor pushes the work forward. Advisor says give me a few more days, I say okay. To be clear here, they are polite to me, I am polite to them.

August 28, I don't hear anything else, so I message (late, like 7:25pm) our text thread about getting the Bronco back before Hurricane Idalia hits.

August 29, they respond, as long as nothing unforeseen happens, the transmission is almost out and all the parts are here. Should be done by Friday.

Sept 1, I reach out again, because it's Friday. Their response, we had to order a special puller tool that is required to separate the transmission case. They mention they are very sorry, but should have it done by Tuesday or Wednesday. At this point, I require a loaner. So they issued me a F-150 until I get the Bronco back, that was kind of them to do so. Also worth noting, the folks have been very kind and polite the whole time and apologetic about the time frames. I think that needs to be noted.

Sept 7, it's Thursday, still no word on the Bronco, it's now been over three weeks for a one week repair. So here are my thoughts, should I have gone to another dealer? When will I get my Bronco back? Will the Bronco be repaired correctly once I do get it back? I mean, they had to order a new tool, so that clearly says they've never worked on a MT88 before. I am somewhat comforted that manual transmissions are less complicated than automatics, but this is only a slight comfort.

I will update this thread once I have any new information.
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've got a manual transmission built just after the noise fix - so far so good (knock on wood).

The obstacles you are encountering getting the issue addressed, are the same things various forum members have encountered. Unfortunately you seem to be encountering all of them. :(

Yeah in hindsight, maybe a different shop already with the experience would have been better. That was a concern of mine in case I would have gotten a noisy trans, the idea of some tech opening up and messing around in the manual trans, how much experience does the tech have these days?

Can only say I enjoy the manual trans, glad I got it. Hopefully yours gets sorted out.

91tii

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, BMW E30
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I took mine in for the repair at the end of March and they approved the TSB repair right away, but they had my Bronco for 6 weeks. The delay was the result of a very busy transmission tech, not having that special puller until the trans was out and apart, and also having something break during reassembly (I've heard this isn't uncommon, must be a difficult/fragile step). I will say it's looking like it's worth the wait to just have them get through it, mine has been completely silent and shifting perfectly for over 3k miles now following the TSB repair.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is HIGHLY LIKELY that ANY dealer you take it to is going to have little to no experience w/the MT88 transmission. While MTs are conceptually simpler than ATs, they are rare, and for the most part, trouble free. Not the kind of thing dealer techs do often, if ever. Disassembly of the MT88 is somewhat of a "beotch", trust me. It sounds like this is the 1st one for your dealer, and they are being cautious. If you start all over w/another one you will probably be back in the same boat. You should ask the service advisor if they have a "Phoenix injector". They won't be able to get the clutch right again after reinstalling the trans if they don't have that tool.

OP
OP
FloridaBurgBronco

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is HIGHLY LIKELY that ANY dealer you take it to is going to have little to no experience w/the MT88 transmission. While MTs are conceptually simpler than ATs, they are rare, and for the most part, trouble free. Not the kind of thing dealer techs do often, if ever. Disassembly of the MT88 is somewhat of a "beotch", trust me. It sounds like this is the 1st one for your dealer, and they are being cautious. If you start all over w/another one you will probably be back in the same boat. You should ask the service advisor if they have a "Phoenix injector". They won't be able to get the clutch right again after reinstalling the trans if they don't have that tool.
Very true, I really can't take it to another dealer at this poitn, but could for future issues if need be, but it sounds like, as sad as it is, this maybe is the norm now, which to me seems crazy. And I agree, if they fix it right, all this will be a distant memory in a very short time.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So, I apologize for the length of this post upfront, yep, it's one of those. I'll try to stay on point.
Chrolonogy of events:
Late last year, hear grinding noise for the first time. I think well maybe, I got some mud or dirt wedged in the clutch or pressure plate, not sure you can do that, but I think so. Just a low, sort of dirt grinding sound, it never goes away, but is only noticeable at low speeds and certain gears.
Shortly after, I see multiple posts on this forum and others about the Manual Transmission TSB.

Early March, 2023. After a few calls to a local dealership, I finally get them to look at it. They have it for a day and a half. They confirm it meets the TSB for the manual. This point is important later!!
Five months go by because Ford, a multi-billion company can't find out were to get parts for their products🤷‍♂️. In early August, I comment about the transmission on another's post and tell them I like it, but for this one issue and that I'm still waiting on parts. Two other people respond saying my dealer is sand bagging, Ford has had those parts for a month or two now and my dealer forgot about me.🤦‍♂️

August 16, so, after four calls to try to get the Bronco in. They say it should take a week. They offer a loaner, I pass since I have an F-150.

August 21, they call me up and say they can't hear the noise and/or doesn't meet the spec to have the TSB done. Naturally, I am shocked, mostly because they already confirmed it meet the noise level for the TSB back in March...well, it didn't get better. They mentioned several things it could be, none of which made any sense, because they weren't real issues and the transmission still made the sound in neutral, the vehicle didn't have to move to make the sound. I will cover this in a video in high detail later, as I don't have the Bronco to provide the accompanying photos. They ask me to come in and drive around with the tech. I agree.

August 22, I stop by the dealer, drive around with the tech and am able to demonstrate the issue, the tech agrees, and the service advisor pushes the work forward. Advisor says give me a few more days, I say okay. To be clear here, they are polite to me, I am polite to them.

August 28, I don't hear anything else, so I message (late, like 7:25pm) our text thread about getting the Bronco back before Hurricane Idalia hits.

August 29, they respond, as long as nothing unforeseen happens, the transmission is almost out and all the parts are here. Should be done by Friday.

Sept 1, I reach out again, because it's Friday. Their response, we had to order a special puller tool that is required to separate the transmission case. They mention they are very sorry, but should have it done by Tuesday or Wednesday. At this point, I require a loaner. So they issued me a F-150 until I get the Bronco back, that was kind of them to do so. Also worth noting, the folks have been very kind and polite the whole time and apologetic about the time frames. I think that needs to be noted.

Sept 7, it's Thursday, still no word on the Bronco, it's now been over three weeks for a one week repair. So here are my thoughts, should I have gone to another dealer? When will I get my Bronco back? Will the Bronco be repaired correctly once I do get it back? I mean, they had to order a new tool, so that clearly says they've never worked on a MT88 before. I am somewhat comforted that manual transmissions are less complicated than automatics, but this is only a slight comfort.

I will update this thread once I have any new information.
Hi there, Don. These repair assistance concerns doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

Kbloviak1

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wow. I have an almost identical story. Difference is my “loaner” was a rental in my name, paid by dealership. That is, until I experienced a flat. Then I was told I am responsible for towing to nearest Hertz counter “at an international airport” which happens to be an hour and a half away in Richmond VA. Biggest difference between our experiences, however, is how indifferent all Ford staff have been. From the point they told me it’d be 2 days worth of work (approaching a month) to the text saying they didn’t have the necessary tools, it’s like they couldn’t care less that my 8 month old Bronco is being held hostage while I make car payments. I’m a patient man, but this has really tested my limits, and confirmed just how little this dealership cares about it’s customers. I hope others have better experiences. And I hope I get my bronco back someday.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dealer has been even worse about the TSB, it's a crap shoot. 6 months since I first brought it in to them and I still don't even have a hint of an ETA for the work to begin. Thank god I didn't leave it with them this whole time.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You should ask the service advisor if they have a "Phoenix injector". They won't be able to get the clutch right again after reinstalling the trans if they don't have that tool.
I’ve always had success just using a typical brake flush machine to pressure bleed it at the master, while also vacuum bleeding it at the bleeder.

However, this thing does look interesting and seems like it would make the job much easier. Just hard to justify the $380 price tag. Maybe I can talk management into one.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My dealer has been even worse about the TSB, it's a crap shoot. 6 months since I first brought it in to them and I still don't even have a hint of an ETA for the work to begin. Thank god I didn't leave it with them this whole time.
Ridiculous. Have them pull it, put it on a pallet and ship it to me. I’ll have it back to them within a week lol

But seriously, sorry to hear they’re still giving you the run around.

Sponsored

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ridiculous. Have them pull it, put it on a pallet and ship it to me. I’ll have it back to them within a week lol

But seriously, sorry to hear they’re still giving you the run around.
Worse part is I'm stuck there, only 2 dealers in town and the other one doesn't have a manual trans tech.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Worse part is I'm stuck there, only 2 dealers in town and the other one doesn't have a manual trans tech.
Yeah I really don’t understand that. Any normal trans tech should easily be able to complete the job. No need to specialize in manual trans work.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Good morning, Mike! I would be glad to help you out with these repair assistance concerns. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

OP
OP
FloridaBurgBronco

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just a quick update on this thread, my dealer just called and he said it was ready for pick-up, which is awesome, I hate not having my Bronco. Now, I need to test drive it to make sure it's fixed correctly. Fingers crossed as I'm assuming it is, but I have tremedous bad luck sometimes, so we'll see.

OP
OP
FloridaBurgBronco

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Final update, I guess I should have kept my complaints to myself, all is good, got my baby back and she shifts well and makes no noise, even gave it a bath today and drove it to the football game and watched the home team smash the visitors.😁
Sponsored