Metallic paint and pinstripes

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Someone said that they’re avoiding metallic paint due to pin stripes. Is that true? Non metallic does better at hiding pinstripes?

I’ve Seen arguments againstrl really darl or light colors as to hiding dirt. True?

so are you all saying that cactus gray and Area 51 are good for practical reasons? Will they really hide dirt and superficial damage?
Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No difference between solid colors and metallics for hiding scratches. If the scratch cuts through the clear you are screwed either way. If it's on the surface of the clear it can likely be buffed out. Dark colors will show way more than light colors. White is the best at hiding flaws. Black and AMB will show everything.

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Someone said that they’re avoiding metallic paint due to pin stripes. Is that true? Non metallic does better at hiding pinstripes?

I’ve Seen arguments againstrl really darl or light colors as to hiding dirt. True?

so are you all saying that cactus gray and Area 51 are good for practical reasons? Will they really hide dirt and superficial damage?
You can paint pinstripes on any color and make it look great. But I think what you're picking up on are the Northwest Pinstripe - or whatever your region. The pinstripe scratches you get in the paint from a good day in the bush. They will show more on the richer, darker metallics than anything and be tougher to buff out.

I had a chevy truck in a real close color to AMB, (the prettiest IMHO). I absolutely loved that color when it was cleaned up, and hated it when it was dirty or scratched. It had a white primer under the paint that showed like a sore thumb when scratched.

I did change my choice from AMB to A51 for ease of maintenance and how I plan to use my Bronco, and it's also the closest cousin to the Swiss Aqua I used to have on my '72.

(for the record, I really wanted a AMB Bronco with a white pinstripe, white top and white wheels).

OP
OP

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You can paint pinstripes on any color and make it look great. But I think what you're picking up on are the Northwest Pinstripe - or whatever your region. The pinstripe scratches you get in the paint from a good day in the bush. They will show more on the richer, darker metallics than anything and be tougher to buff out.

I had a chevy truck in a real close color to AMB, (the prettiest IMHO). I absolutely loved that color when it was cleaned up, and hated it when it was dirty or scratched. It had a white primer under the paint that showed like a sore thumb when scratched.

I did change my choice from AMB to A51 for ease of maintenance and how I plan to use my Bronco, and it's also the closest cousin to the Swiss Aqua I used to have on my '72.

(for the record, I really wanted a AMB Bronco with a white pinstripe, white top and white wheels).
Let’s call it the a Pennsylvania Pinstripe:)

I anticipate forest road camping in the Penna Wilds, which are freaking huge. Man, if only I appreciated back in college the kind of outdoors access that was available to me back when I had the time ...

Sponsored

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There are two dynamics at play. First dark colors show flaws more than light colors. More importantly for this conversation I believe, metallics are harder to touch up. If you get a regular paint e.g. basic black versus another dark color but metallic like AMB, the black will be easier to touch up.