Sponsored

MIC Hardtop - Coated? Question Taping Surface..

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Tomorrow is the big day, trying to move the hardtop out of the room and into the garage. For safety reasons, I would like to tape some cardboard over the side windows and duct tape to the frame during the move to prevent accidental glass breakage. masking tape won’t hold/stick to the MIC top. is there any risk that pulling off the duct tape used to tape the cardboard to the frame could remove any sort of coating/damage on the MIC hardtop when I remove the cardboard? Or is there no coating on the MIC top. Just don’t want to pull the tape and then wham part of the top flakes off like paint
Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Painters tape should be fine, but why? The hard top is quite light with two people carrying it.

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Painters tape should be fine, but why? The hard top is quite light with two people carrying it.
Painters tap won’t stick to the MIC shell. Already tried. Need something with more adhesive to stick the cardboard to the shell

I need to move top through a doorway tilted on its side and it will be low to the ground. Don’t want to risk something hitting glass and breaking…

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think there's a coating but duct tape can leave a residue that can be annoying to take off and possibly cause some damage. Why not use double sided tape to hold the cardboard to the windows?

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't think there's a coating but duct tape can leave a residue that can be annoying to take off and possibly cause some damage. Why not use double sided tape to hold the cardboard to the windows?
That’s a good idea. Just need to find the proper double sides tape

Sponsored

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would not use any tape. It's not necessary. Besides; with the issues with this top, Ford's warning notice about what to not even use to clean or treat it...why take the risk of ANY damage to a $7,000.00 top?!

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would not use any tape. It's not necessary. Besides; with the issues with this top, Ford's warning notice about what to not even use to clean or treat it...why take the risk of ANY damage to a $7,000.00 top?!
$7000. It’s a lot more than that isn’t it? Can you even buy a 2-door OEM replacement?

I might use the idea of double sided stick on the window just as a precaution when it’s going through the door way. Easier to remove residue from glass than top.

It’s probably not needed but I like to err on the side of caution.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wouldn't tape anything to it. I would place thick cardboard to moving blankets on the ground to protect it. If the sidewalk or driveway is paved up to the door I would use two small wooden dollies from HF to place it on and just roll it into the garage. https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-12-in-1000-lb-capacity-hardwood-dolly-58312.html
I bought those Dollie’s but the issue is the orientation it would need to sit on the Dollie’s. Not sure it’s possible. Need to be on its side and that would shatter the window

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

$7000. It’s a lot more than that isn’t it? Can you even buy a 2-door OEM replacement?
It’s ~$3200, and yes you can.

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It’s ~$3200, and yes you can.
Holy crap. The whole hardtop is only $3200?????

They wanted $1200 for just the plastic interior trim quarter panel piece. If the whole top is $3200 that’s a steal!!

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Holy crap. The whole hardtop is only $3200?????

They wanted $1200 for just the plastic interior trim quarter panel piece. If the whole top is $3200 that’s a steal!!
Doesn’t come with the rear window/hinges or side windows, but yeah. The main clamshell top itself is roughly $3200.
Then the front 2 section are another $2100

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Doesn’t come with the rear window/hinges or side windows, but yeah. The main clamshell top itself is roughly $3200.
Then the front 2 section are another $2100
Well I feel slightly less worried about the move tomorrow. Figured the 2 door top - front freedom panels would be 12k if it was even available.

So $3200 + $1600 for side glasses I guessp

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Get a Saws All and make the door opening wider. It will cost way less to return the opening to the correct door size then repairing or replacing the top. Kidding aside, take the door off the hinges.
Sponsored