Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just don’t like the look of Hotheads product and think it will look funny with the interior finish of the Bronco top…
I think we have to actually wait to see what it looks like before jumping to conclusions. We have no idea yet what it will look like (other than I'm pretty confident it will be higher quality and better looking than the Ford factory carpet). They're obviously redesigning it to fit the Bronco top, which is a lot different than the Jeep's.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bronc-itis

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
They have a sound deading add on that uses strips of dyno-mat type stuff to add mass. More mass is how you sound deaden.

with the hot heads you get both sound deading with mass and absorption with their headliner fabric.
No. It’s not. It’s not about mass. It’s about properly placed material that knocks down the vibration and resonance because of a difference in material thickness. Strips don’t do anything unless they are placed in the right section of the panel. Usually in the center. Mass has nothing to do with sound deadening. It’s about disrupting the resonance of the panel you are working on.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think that would create an echo in the cab, and marginal improvements, if any, from outside noise.

Seems like a solution seeking a problem.

OP
OP
Bronc-itis

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have used Dynamat on a couple projects. It’s great for sound deadening. But it’s flexible. Do you think bed liner will remain stuck to it? I have Rhino lining in my truck and it’s flexible, so that should work, not sure about some of the more rigid liners. In any case, I really like your idea and really hope you pursue it. Anxious to hear results.
The bed liner should stick. The bed liner is more for a way to bond the edges of the dynamat and make it look a little more finishered. I’m sure a spray in (preferably non textured) bed liner would do the job.

OP
OP
Bronc-itis

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think that would create an echo in the cab, and marginal improvements, if any, from outside noise.

Seems like a solution seeking a problem.
Incorrect. But appreciate the wet blanket

Sponsored

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No. It’s not. It’s not about mass. It’s about properly placed material that knocks down the vibration and resonance because of a difference in material thickness. Strips don’t do anything unless they are placed in the right section of the panel. Usually in the center. Mass has nothing to do with sound deadening. It’s about disrupting the resonance of the panel you are working on.
Mass is a force sound has to react against to move. You add mass as it takes more sound along frequency ranges to move the heavier mass item. Mass loaded items like dyno-mat do exactly that. They add mass to areas to slow the sound from moving thru the object.

There are different aspects, there are absorption that is the conversion of sound to energy (heat) and diffusion that are solid objects that deflect the sound. Then there is mass as a way of sound isolation to isolate against frequencies the more mass the lower the frequency needed to move/move thru the panel. Properly placed material like mass, absorption, and diffusion all work together to say mass has nothing to do with it is ignoring a chunk of what is needed.