John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 4Runner TRD PRO, Acura MDX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The MIC top on 4 door. I know it is modular, but can I assume that means I can remove the clam shell only? And leave the 3 panels over the passengers? Thank you!
Sponsored

Dro

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 Door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The MIC top on 4 door. I know it is modular, but can I assume that means I can remove the clam shell only? And leave the 3 panels over the passengers? Thank you!
Officially speaking, you can't. Each panel latches onto one another. It remains to be seen if the Bronco would be driveable with the center panel latched only onto the front panels.

OP
OP
JCAntimatter

JCAntimatter

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Officially speaking, you can't. Each panel latches onto one another. It remains to be seen if the Bronco would be driveable with the center panel latched only onto the front panels.
Makes sense. Thank you.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You *can* remove the rear clamshell only... and we've even seen test units wheeling with this setup. Officially Ford has not endorsed this setup however, and it's been assumed that it'd be fine for very low speed stuff, but probably not going down the road at a decent clip. As previously mentioned the front and middle panels latch onto the rear clamshell.

Ford Bronco MIC Modularity C6D44E4B-A8F3-44E5-83CA-AB747911F303
Ford Bronco MIC Modularity Hard Top Types March 21

Dro

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 Door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You *can* remove the rear clamshell only... and we've even seen test units wheeling with this setup. Officially Ford has not endorsed this setup however, and it's been assumed that it'd be fine for very low speed stuff, but probably not going down the road at a decent clip. As previously mentioned the front and middle panels latch onto the rear clamshell.

I hadn't seen that photo of the 2 door with front panels sans clam shell. Is there one of the 4 door? I'm sure there must be a simple way to strap in the mid panels to the side bars to ride without clam shell. What do you think?

Sponsored
OP
OP
JCAntimatter

JCAntimatter

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Understood. But doesn't the front panel also latch onto the front roof line of the Bronco? It can't only attach at the rear. No?

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@ZackDanger you are the Top Cat!
Ford Bronco MIC Modularity 1617652529418

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
On the 4 doors, the two front panels have a total of six attachment points, four up front and two on the side bar. I'd feel confident driving with just those on, but the middle panel (at least from this picture) doesn't appear to have any roll bar attachments and relies solely on those two connection points with the front panels and probably a couple more for the rear clamshell.

EDIT: looking into this further, this is actually the 2 door MIC top, which doesn't have a mid panel, so the two connection points makes sense. Still trying to find a picture of the mid panel on the 4 door.

Ford Bronco MIC Modularity bronco-sound-deadening-headliner-top1-

If the 360 degree B&P view is to be believed, the mid panel on both mic and mod tops has a total of 7 connections but all three of the rear connections rely on the clamshell.

Ford Bronco MIC Modularity 1617653452008

2021 Bronco reviews thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Understood. But doesn't the front panel also latch onto the front roof line of the Bronco? It can't only attach at the rear. No?
Correct, there's a hinged clamp at the front, and the rotating clamp things on the front and side rears that all attach to the frame. Then there's a rear rotating clamp that mates with the next top panel.

Here are the pictures from the video on the 2-door:

Ford Bronco MIC Modularity Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 15.57.52
Ford Bronco MIC Modularity Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 15.58.06

It would seem like that it should be enough to keep just the front panels in place... unless there's some weird air vortex that occurs that would push up on those panels and make things dicey.

The next question would be how does the second row panel secure on the 4-door. That I have no idea. It may be as simple as being sandwiched between the front panels and the rear clam shell... but also, if that panel relies on the presence of the others, how do you take of just the front panels without issue of the 2nd row?

Frankly, this is falling square in the category of things we aren't sure about yet.
Sponsored