Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I noticed today my modular bumper has a few small rock chips in the powder coating. I was just wondering what would be recommended for touching these up? I assume not regular touch-up paint, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm not looking to have the whole thing re-powder coated or anything.

Thanks!
Sponsored

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I spray black rustoleum onto cardboard and dab it in the chip with a q tip or a little brush. Redo it after it sets up a bit 3-4 times to thicken it up. 👀🪄

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I spray black rustoleum onto cardboard and dab it in the chip with a q tip or a little brush. Redo it after it sets up a bit 3-4 times to thicken it up. 👀🪄
Great tip - Thanks! I have some black spray paint and some tiny brushes that would work great for this.

I'll see if there's any other suggestions, if not, I'll give this a shot this weekend. Much appreciated!

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@SnowBronco - I assume this is the one you use (in flat black)?

Ford Bronco Modular Bumper Rock Chips Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 8.20.40 PM
I'd just go to Cambodian Tire and pick out a good satin black rust paint. Doesn't have to be in the auto department! I wouldn't use flat black, the wrinkle black powder on the bumpers is a satin color if my eyes don't do me wrong. Haha

Sponsored

RobBob22

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not that I have tried this myself but I have seen pro's buy little bottles of model paint and pull a small amount into a syringe with a needle, then use the needle to place a droplet into the chip, fills in better and gets paint only where you want it.

Need a pretty steady hand though.

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not that I have tried this myself but I have seen pro's buy little bottles of model paint and pull a small amount into a syringe with a needle, then use the needle to place a droplet into the chip, fills in better and gets paint only where you want it.

Need a pretty steady hand though.
Great idea - thank you.

That’s kind of what I planned on doing but with a tiny paint brush - just blot a tiny drop of paint on it to fill the little chip. I think actually brushing it on would look awful.

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great idea - thank you.

That’s kind of what I planned on doing but with a tiny paint brush - just blot a tiny drop of paint on it to fill the little chip. I think actually brushing it on would look awful.
Dont use a brush. The hairs in a brush 'hold' the paint which releases only when in contact with an object using the cohesion and adhesion properties of the paint to draw it out of the brush. It uses these same properties to keep the paint IN the brush. So you wont get nice large drops that dry flat using a brush. This is why you need a syringe.

A fluid pen is also a great tool for filling in rock chips.

Here's a great real world example of how to use one.

For what it's worth, our trucks are not museum pieces. So a paint brush just to protect the metal is fine IMO. I just wanted to highlight what it would take to blend a rock chip into the factory paint.
Sponsored