Sponsored

Rock chips on hood -- how to repair small rock chips in the paint?

Dan-O

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve had my Bronco for all of 4 days now, 70 total miles, and I have 3 rock chips already on the hood. Just basic driving on normal streets in my town, probably haven’t gone over 50-55mph yet. It’s a race red color, I heard perhaps those can chip easier than some other colors but still, very frustrating! I am going to install the hood deflector soon (see pic of me holding it up) which will cover two of the rock chips.

How do you all repair small rock chips in the paint? Touch up paint, clear coat, let it dry then buff it out? Any tips or tricks? Thanks in advance!
8483CCF0-0087-4644-8F19-915CFB0D3909.jpeg
553787B5-CFF1-41F1-9A1D-3AA6261F543A.jpeg
I always purchase touch up paint from a place called Automotive Touch Up Paint…..the mix the paint code fresh when you order and you can get it in multiple different application options. I have it for all my vehicles, I usually use the paint pen or small jar with little precision applicators and then the clear coat. With the size of those chips the jar with precision applicator Would fill them in nicely. It takes very little as the paint layers on newer vehicles are paper thin. If you find that after adding clear coat it is higher than surrounding area, you can knock it down with some rubbing compound(correction cream), then apply a wax and cover it. FYI, PPF most likely wouldn’t prevent paint damage from the impacts that you have in your pics. Pretty much, over 40mph any rocks that make impact with the front of your vehicle will cut right thru the PPF and leave you with a marred PPF as well as paint chip. It then looks even more pronounced bc the PPF is marred and dirty around the chip. I had an Aeroskin II on but couldn’t stand the wind noise it created. I ended up going with AVS flat hood protector and it’s great, however it will not keep rocks and bugs from hitting windshield
Sponsored