Modular Hard Top question

Toccoa

Big Bend
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Based on the videos and photos released today, I don’t see much value on the modular hardtop - on a 4 door at least.

Why would I need to take out 2 tiny cargo windows? Please let me know if I’m missing something.

I can always just take the entire top off.
Airflow is all I can think of. It should mimic having the rear window open in that regard. I was hoping the whole side came off, leaving just the roof. Maybe that’s what they wanted too and this was the compromise. Little windows that come off.

Advertisement

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge ST
I have shared. As I said, the rear of the panels seat into the main section. Also, the panels do not latch together, only overlap down the center. Based on those observations, I would say that you would have issues with stability at higher speeds.
I would agree if the panels were very flimsy plastic, but they appear quite substantial, so I'm feeling pretty sure the front and side latches are plenty to keep them secure.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge ST
Based on the videos and photos released today, I don’t see much value on the modular hardtop - on a 4 door at least.

Why would I need to take out 2 tiny cargo windows? Please let me know if I’m missing something.

Those 2 windows would provide a lot of ventilation and removable in less than 2 minutes as opposed to taking the roof completely off in perhaps 20 minutes. Then, what do you do if it rains? You won't have the top with you, but the windows would be stored in the vehicle.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Vehicle Showcase
One negative to the removable glass is that glass gets hot. Like really really hot. Might need some oven mitts to keep from burning your fingers and dropping the glass.

G6BroncoUpstateSC

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 1990 Bronco

You are spot on, the removable windows look like something to lose or break. Why did they not make the whole panel detach or give it a thicker bezel for protection when not attached to the top?

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge ST
You are spot on, the removable windows look like something to lose or break. Why did they not make the whole panel detach or give it a thicker bezel for protection when not attached to the top?
There's no requirement to remove the windows. The only thing I'd likely remove are the 2 front panels.

G6BroncoUpstateSC

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 1990 Bronco
There's no requirement to remove the windows. The only thing I'd likely remove are the 2 front panels.
That is a valid point, I think part of my fear is that I don't trust myself to not remove them. It is not like me to be somewhere with a button and not push it.

B10A5038-B2BC-4264-AD48-394BC3E840C2.gif

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Clubs

Based on this, I wouldn't drive it with the rear section on. The three latches on the rear portion of the second panel all attach to the main section over the cargo area, not the roll bar. Might get a little flappy back there.
1597080777452.png

*I'd also listen to BroncoGuy. He knows that of which he speaks.
If that suppose to be insulated roofing?

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Clubs

Those 2 windows would provide a lot of ventilation and removable in less than 2 minutes as opposed to taking the roof completely off in perhaps 20 minutes. Then, what do you do if it rains? You won't have the top with you, but the windows would be stored in the vehicle.
Just have to make sure that glass doesn't break easily $$

BroncoGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I would agree if the panels were very flimsy plastic, but they appear quite substantial, so I'm feeling pretty sure the front and side latches are plenty to keep them secure.
The panels are sturdy, and as I said, they will be fine at lower speeds. There is, however, a bit of flex between them that I think could be an issue at highway speeds. I have nothing to do with wind tunnel testing and have no idea what Ford's recommendation will be as to whether or not the vehicle can be driven with just the front panels in place or if there will be any speed limitations recommended.

I'm going by the fact that I put the front panels on and pushed down on the center edge and was able to flex them a bit. I would think that over time, that could be problematic and lead to wear on the quarter turn handles and clamp.

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
have to see how much they charge for insulation
The aftermarket will also have answers. On wranglers, the factory insulation is $500. Hotheads is one of the alternatives and quite a bit cheaper, and a better performing product.. so don't stress too much

Advertisement

Advertisement