Modular Hard Top question

DonsBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Don
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I hope on the 4 door you will be able to remove the rear section, and leave the front 4 sections attached

Advertisement

BroncoGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
The front panels need the panel behind it to seat into so I'm thinking it wouldn't be wise to have them on by themselves.

Wouldn't be an issue if you're on a trail doing a few mph, but they would likely not do well at highway speeds.

vrtical

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Clubs

I hope on the 4 door you will be able to remove the rear section, and leave the front 4 sections attached
pretty sure I saw a 4 door in one of the numerous videos that just had the front seat section on and the rest off.

DonsBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Don
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
pretty sure I saw a 4 door in one of the numerous videos that just had the front seat section on and the rest off.
Ya I saw that, which is why I was asking if the middle section could be used as well. Maybe one of the 200 accessories will be a rear section to do a full top without the rear sides

Squatch

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Jeep
The front panels need the panel behind it to seat into so I'm thinking it wouldn't be wise to have them on by themselves.

Wouldn't be an issue if you're on a trail doing a few mph, but they would likely not do well at highway speeds.
Totally unfounded.

What we have seen in real photos and videos:

*If I'm missing anything, correct it

DriverOFFONONOFFOFFOFFOFFOFF
PassengerONONONOFFOFFOFFOFFOFF
MidONn/aOFFONn/aOFFOFFOFF
RearONOFFONONONONn/aOFF
Doors
4​
2​
4​
4​
2​
4​
2​
4​

I think the only thing we haven't seen is the 4-door with just the middle section on or both fronts and the middle section.

Last edited:

BroncoChicken

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 Lexus GX, ‘75 Bronco Sport “Buddy”
Totally unfounded.

DriverOFFONONOFFOFFOFFOFF
PassengerONONONOFFOFFOFFOFF
MidONn/aOFFONn/aOFFOFF
RearONOFFONONONn/aOFF
Doors
4​
2​
4​
4​
2​
2​
4​

I think the only thing we haven't seen is the 4-door with just the middle section on or both fronts and the middle section.
I thought I saw a picture with both fronts and the mid off the 4 door, but with the rear section still on.

BroncoGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Totally unfounded.

DriverOFFONONOFFOFFOFFOFFOFF
PassengerONONONOFFOFFOFFOFFOFF
MidONn/aOFFONn/aOFFOFFOFF
RearONOFFONONONONn/aOFF
Doors
4​
2​
4​
4​
2​
4​
2​
4​

So tell me, how are the front panels secured when they don't have a channel on the back to sit in? There aren't even latches that secure the two front panels to each other.

Just because you're seeing pictures showing different panels removed doesn't mean the vehicles should be driven that way.

Squatch

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Jeep
So tell me, how are the front panels secured when they don't have a channel on the back to sit in? There aren't even latches that secure the two front panels to each other.

Just because you're seeing pictures showing different panels removed doesn't mean the vehicles should be driven that way.
There's video of it on the Rubicon, but maybe if you drive on the freeway in reverse the wind turbulence could be a problem.

Pics on the forum here show three latches each and the pic above your post shows what appears to be a mechanical tongue and groove style fit between the two pieces.

If you still don't believe that it's plausible to drive with just the front tops on, then...

LebowskiOpinion.gif

BroncoGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
There's video of it on the Rubicon, but maybe if you drive on the freeway in reverse the wind turbulence could be a problem.

Pics on the forum here show three latches each and the pic above your post shows what appears to be a mechanical tongue and groove style fit between the two pieces.

If you still don't believe that it's plausible to drive with just the front tops on, then...

LebowskiOpinion.gif
It's almost as if I have a reason for my opinion, perhaps some sort of first hand knowledge or something. Who knows though.

Squatch

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Jeep
It's almost as if I have a reason for my opinion, perhaps some sort of first hand knowledge or something. Who knows though.
I'm sure we'd all like your video driving the new Bronco showing why you can't drive it with just the front sections attached, please share.

BroncoGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I'm sure we'd all like your video driving the new Bronco showing why you can't drive it with just the front sections attached, please share.
I have shared. As I said, the rear of the panels seat into the main section. Also, the panels do not latch together, only overlap down the center. Based on those observations, I would say that you would have issues with stability at higher speeds.

BroncoChicken

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 Lexus GX, ‘75 Bronco Sport “Buddy”
Based on this, I wouldn't drive it with the rear section on. The three latches on the rear portion of the second panel all attach to the main section over the cargo area, not the roll bar. Might get a little flappy back there.
1597080777452.png

*I'd also listen to BroncoGuy. He knows that of which he speaks.

djwaly97

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4
Clubs

Based on the videos and photos released today, I don’t see much value on the modular hardtop - on a 4 door at least.

Why would I need to take out 2 tiny cargo windows? Please let me know if I’m missing something.

I can always just take the entire top off.

Advertisement

Advertisement