Sponsored

Modular / MOD Hard Top: in-depth walk around?

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How is it that there isn’t a single full report on the Modular Hard Top now that Heritage models are arriving. How’d Bronco Nation not jump on the chance to make one of their in-depth examinations? It’s almost flannel season! C’mon!

As someone that’s interested in a black one at one point…I’m curious to see how the construction looks.

Is it confirmed that Webasto made them?
Sponsored

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Agree. It’s weird. One of the biggest talked about topics isn’t being talked about.

rak2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 - sold
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Wondering the same thing. Have been holding out for a better roof and was hoping the modular top would be good enough and not have to wait for a normal/permanment/fixed/metal roof...

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

How is it that there isn’t a single full report on the Modular Hard Top now that Heritage models are arriving. How’d Bronco Nation not jump on the chance to make one of their in-depth examinations? It’s almost flannel season! C’mon!

As someone that’s interested in a black one at one point…I’m curious to see how the construction looks.

Is it confirmed that Webasto made them?
What are you wanting to know about them? We've been talking about them and now showing them off in the Heritage thread for awhile since it's the only trim that offers it.

And yes, Webasto is the mfg.

OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What are you wanting to know about them? We've been talking about them and now showing them off in the Heritage thread for awhile since it's the only trim that offers it.

And yes, Webasto is the mfg.
I guess I’ll dig into that thread a bit. Is the construction identical outside of it being smooth and painted? How do the removable windows work/look? I just expected a lot more media coverage on it.

DrewMackin

Heritage
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Tesla Model 3, 23 Bronco Heritage
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I guess I’ll dig into that thread a bit. Is the construction identical outside of it being smooth and painted? How do the removable windows work/look? I just expected a lot more media coverage on it.
I've had both the MIC and now the mod top on my Heritage. Construction is way better on the mod top. I just took it off last night and it's heavier too. There's some literature somewhere that states it's a different plastic or layered differently, something like that, can't find it right now though. It's a big difference in road noise. my MIC top was so loud and the mod top is significantly quieter.

There's one screw for the windows and then you can just pull them out. The rest of the top for the four door is removed the same way as the MIC. There's a youtube video from a member here that shows how to remove the windows. As mentioned, there's a few pics on the Heritage thread with people removing the gunner's hatch on the 2 doors.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

From the media that's out there the Mod top is SMC, sheet molded compound, other than that I don't know, as @DrewMackin stated someone mentioned that it was nothing but a MIC that had been layered with the SMC but I don't know about that. The Heritage thread is pretty long but there's pics of the windows, gunners hatch and if you look in the '23 owners manual it shows how to remove them. As for someone doing a full walk-thru video you could post the request on the thread and I'm sure someone would comply and if they've had a MIC in the past to explain the differences.

I've had mine less than a week but have no experience with a previous MIC Bronco but inside it's as quiet/loud as my FJ is with no leaks or whistles/wind noise while driving. It feels really solid and at lights there's not any more noise coming from outside traffic than the FJ either. I was an original reservation that had the black mod top on my order and then 99'd it until the HE came out but I feel it was worth the wait for it especially after reading about the MIC issues all these years. Have no clue when Ford will put the mod top back out on the general option list like they originally had it at the start of '21 or what exceptions they'll add like only OBX or higher?? but before it was available on everything except the base and was also supposed to be available in body color originally, then it switched to black and finally 3 years later it's only available in white on the HE trim, which is what I wanted all along!

OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is definitely some solid info. Thanks guys. I’m looking forward to seeing one in person. I personally have zero qualms with my MIC after about a year after I acquired it after having a soft top for a year. But, I would certainly like a black top and not grey…but, certainly interested in construction and real world experiences over the next few years. Hopefully the black will be available eventually.

Sponsored

voxel

Heritage
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I was looking at my friend's MIC top in detail and forgot how it was just rough unpainted plastic/cardboard and not painted smooth like the Mod-Top.

A huge difference between my 2dr Big Bend with the hard top and the 4dr Heritage is the wind noise. At 70-80mph I had to shout to speak to anybody in the Bronco in the MIC-top 2dr. My friend thinks it is the sound deadening but I don't think so. The Heritage feels like a normal mainstream SUV with the windows up and top on.

It's not as quiet as my Grand Cherokee but pretty close. I argue it was probably quieter than my Rivian R1S which had Toyota-levels of wind/road noise. The 2Dr Big Bend might as well have been a full time convertible it was that loud.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was looking at my friend's MIC top in detail and forgot how it was just rough unpainted plastic/cardboard and not painted smooth like the Mod-Top.

A huge difference between my 2dr Big Bend with the hard top and the 4dr Heritage is the wind noise. At 70-80mph I had to shout to speak to anybody in the Bronco in the MIC-top 2dr. My friend thinks it is the sound deadening but I don't think so. The Heritage feels like a normal mainstream SUV with the windows up and top on.

It's not as quiet as my Grand Cherokee but pretty close. I argue it was probably quieter than my Rivian R1S which had Toyota-levels of wind/road noise. The 2Dr Big Bend might as well have been a full time convertible it was that loud.
From what I can see in the earlier mentioned YouTube video showing the 2-door modular top with gunner hatch removal, the MOD top does not seem much different than the MIC in terms of construction.

Looks like same interior semi-finished surface with cloth coverings. Same type of latches. The areas where the top mounts to the body looks same. Do we know for sure the outer shell surface is a different material than the MIC, or at least thicker than the MIC?

Otherwise the MOD top difference is basically the hatch and removable back side windows. Which is a nice feature, although adds more areas to let in noise/elements compared to the MIC. Is there a video or details somewhere, showing the MOD top is constructed of different materials, different sandwiching, different seals, etc compared to the MIC?

Ford Bronco Modular / MOD Hard Top: in-depth walk around? 1708986023036

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From what I can see in the earlier mentioned YouTube video showing the 2-door modular top with gunner hatch removal, the MOD top does not seem much different than the MIC in terms of construction.

Looks like same interior semi-finished surface with cloth coverings. Same type of latches. The areas where the top mounts to the body looks same. Do we know for sure the outer shell surface is a different material than the MIC, or at least thicker than the MIC?

Otherwise the MOD top difference is basically the hatch and removable back side windows. Which is a nice feature, although adds more areas to let in noise/elements compared to the MIC. Is there a video or details somewhere, showing the MOD top is constructed of different materials, different sandwiching, different seals, etc compared to the MIC?

Ford Bronco Modular / MOD Hard Top: in-depth walk around? 1708986023036
It’s a different material. SMC if I recall​
Sponsored