Sponsored

Motor Trend says Bronco has "poor build quality". Fact or Bias?

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They had to halt production and store thousands of vehicles for months because of a build quality issue. It doesn't seem like a laughable criticism to me.
Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Remember folks, Motor Trend also awarded the AMC Gremlin the car of the year.
Really, what year was that? You may want to take another guess.

lr48

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 1200
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The latest SUV of the year issue of Motor Trend says the Bronco has "poor build quality". After carefully shaking down a 4dr Big Bend in my garage during a test drive, this reeks of bias in my opinion. Sure, there is the MIC roof issue, but the overall build quality is excellent and remember this is a modular vehicle most body panels are designed to be easily removable. Slapping it with poor build quality is laughable. I think MT is desperately trying to justify their choice of Land Rover for SUV of the Year. It may be a great SUV, but it’s a unibody crossover with low profile tires like all the rest, hardly an off-road machine. Obviously, MT is passing up the most exciting new vehicle launch in decades for a niche market crossover with little fanfare.
My neighbors new Land Rover has spent a total 9 weeks in the last 6 months in the shop for variety of issues and is back in for two more weeks sooo.....

OP
OP
markregel

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
There are some good points here and obviously haters, you know who you are! For you haters firstly I'm basing my evaluation on a careful inspection of four different Broncos, one I drove home to my garage where I could shake it down without a salesman breathing down my neck. I wonder how many of you haters have even been in one in the flesh? Ford could have given the Bronco a fixed top, window frames, and non removable body panels. What would that make it -- just another crossover! What makes the Bronco so cool results in design and manufacturing challenges typical cars don't have. Its crazy how many harping on the effing roof something Ford stopped production as evidence the entire vehicle is crap. The roof is a removable accessory for pete sake, not even made by Ford. Some even dig up an issue on the Internet like its a systemic issue with all Broncos. To the haters, why not just get a CRV or Defender and let us enjoy our Broncos? What is it with the need to hate?

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think I can simplify this for all..

If you're looking for a mall crawler/family car, the quality is average to good. Not poor, but you'll find plenty that could be better. The looks and fun make up for it though.

If you're looking for a rugged vehicle to use outdoors, none of it matters. The capability is there with some modern comfort, and you'll love every second.

It's a tremendous vehicle either way, but your expectations set the framing. Coming from luxury? It's a Ford.. expect Ford quality. Coming from a 25 year old economy car? It's going to feel stellar.
I agree with you to a certain extent. I have the hill assist error and the 4x4 error. Imagine being out on the trail, miles away from anything and this happens. How does the vehicle get towed out of a trail? Is it safe for you and passengers if something goes wrong in the wilderness ? Right now I can't trust it. I know Ford will come up with fixes to all the issues - but engine/drive train reliability is the most important. If a computer/sensor breaks - it should not disable the vehicle

Sponsored
OP
OP
markregel

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
My neighbors new Land Rover has spent a total 9 weeks in the last 6 months in the shop for variety of issues and is back in for two more weeks sooo.....
Land rover is owned by Tata Motors of India, not exactly a brand known for top notch reliability.

CZYHORSVA

Black Diamond
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68,96 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mine has been excellent 3000 miles, no problems, 2.7 , lux SAS, no quality issues ..perfect.

I will say the little panels between the taillights and the tail gate door.. waiting for them to fall off, as of now look fine and no problems.

however I don’t have a MIC top, in addition the builds with problems seem to be early than mine, and few if any after.

I do expect the first run of any new mass production car to have its assembly faults (especially when Ford had to play catch up on orders after that MIC top supplier fiasco) which will be straightened out the more that go down the line.
Good post. And I’m in the same boats with my OBX 2.7 4 door LUX with MIC top. It’s been flawless. But, if something happens I 100% should expect it. A new model that was delayed and then rushed to market because of a pandemic and the issues with production that came with it will have a few bugs. Bronco will get better and better as time goes on.

OP
OP
markregel

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agree with you to a certain extent. I have the hill assist error and the 4x4 error. Imagine being out on the trail, miles away from anything and this happens. How does the vehicle get towed out of a trail? Is it safe for you and passengers if something goes wrong in the wilderness ? Right now I can't trust it. I know Ford will come up with fixes to all the issues - but engine/drive train reliability is the most important. If a computer/sensor breaks - it should not disable the vehicle
Yes engine drive train reliability is most important. How systemic are these issues? Did these error codes disable the vehicle? Sensor computer issues normally don't disable a vehicle.

OP
OP
markregel

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
They had to halt production and store thousands of vehicles for months because of a build quality issue. It doesn't seem like a laughable criticism to me.
Always easy to spot the haters. Seriously dude halting production to improve quality is hardly something to be critical of. What's laughable is to use something like this to berate the entire car, and we're talking about an all new design with unique design challenges. The Bronco will only get better, to knock it because of issues like this right out of the gate == hater.

Xploit

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This was my first impression upon sitting in one for the first time. The build quality is definitely poor. I know it performs well, but it feels sooo cheap.

Sponsored

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I would say Motor Trend is spot on. Production halted for poor quality hard tops. Now we are seeing MIC 2.0 having issues at the edges in the back, the 2-door my dealer received last week has this. We are seeing some of these tops leaking, the new version 2.0.

Then we have the soft top scratching the on the roof bars. Don't for get to check your fully bolt on the 2.7 engine. Then there is the air bag issue. Really horrible weld visible when top removed.

So yes, Ford does have a quality issue. Quality control is not doing a good job. Bad Edges on version 2.0 top should be caught in QC, Horrible weld should be caught in QC. Wrong seats should be caught in QC. Top leaking water is really bad.

Removable roofs have been on Jeeps for a very long time they don't leak. My last several corvette have had removable roof, they don't leak.

I am sure in time Ford will get this all fixed, but they have work to do.

scottyb907

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Ford Bronco, RAM 3500,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I guess my thoughts are who cares what MT is babbling about? If your that concerned about flaws, roll down to the closest Jeep or Land Rover dealer and write a check.
Jeep has been beat up years by MT, don't see many people leaving the Jeep crowd over it.
Agree the Ford has many flaws in this launch, build and price, and some quality control issues....Honestly don't care, have waited years to have my ass in this new Bronco. Will post pictures this week when i pick it up! :)

scottyb907

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Ford Bronco, RAM 3500,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This was my first impression upon sitting in one for the first time. The build quality is definitely poor. I know it performs well, but it feels sooo cheap.
I just spent a week in a Jeep Wrangler 4 door rental. The inside of that felt cheap and antiquated also, its screen was smaller than my iPhone. I noticed a lot of characteristics i did not care for. I actually thought the Bronco I seen at the dealership was much more pleasing than it. I did think the Jeep had good power.

Xploit

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Land rover is owned by Tata Motors of India, not exactly a brand known for top notch reliability.
Thats fair... the thing is , though, many high end cars/trucks and products, produced in the last 5 years, seem to have issues out of the gate. That being said, poor build quality is entirely different. The Defender 90, while having its fair share of issues, does have excellent build quality. Sitting in one immediately gives a premium feel and to some, that goes a long way. I would think a poor build quality would spell trouble for overall longevity. I guess time will tell.

balucipher

Big Bend
First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I just spent a week in a Jeep Wrangler 4 door rental. The inside of that felt cheap and antiquated also, its screen was smaller than my iPhone. I noticed a lot of characteristics i did not care for. I actually thought the Bronco I seen at the dealership was much more pleasing than it. I did think the Jeep had good power.
probably not fair to compare a base base Wrangler Sport to a mid to high trim Bronco in a dealership showroom. Very few wranglers that customer's buy have the Uconnect 5 screen
Sponsored