Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

New here and curious:

My m/c mod thought process figured "Marine grade stuff would work well on bikes due to the water resistancy". Anyone have that same internal policy about modifying their new 4wd?
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

New here and curious:

My m/c mod thought process figured "Marine grade stuff would work well on bikes due to the water resistancy". Anyone have that same internal policy about modifying their new 4wd?
I’m having trouble understanding what you’re saying. I think you may have accidentally your post.

OP
OP
ilbastarge

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I’m having trouble understanding what you’re saying. I think you may have accidentally your post.
Sorry about that. It might be lasting concussion issues.

I meant to say: Since m/c are out in the rain that marine grade stuff is what I used for any mods (electrical etc). Because the Bronco can have the top removed would that same theory apply?

Hope that made more sense.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry about that. It might be lasting concussion issues.

I meant to say: Since m/c are out in the rain that marine grade stuff is what I used for any mods (electrical etc). Because the Bronco can have the top removed would that same theory apply?

Hope that made more sense.
Ah I see!

It sounded like you were asking if we were planning on using marine grade vinyl (MGV) on our Broncos because it works so well on bikes... and we were confused because some Broncos already come with MGV.

We know the hero switches and steering wheel controls are encapsulated and water resistant.

Come from the Jeep side of the house I’ve never felt the need to use marine connectors or anything for items inside my vehicle because I’m not running into scenarios where things are getting that wet. Compared to my motorcycles things never got as wet in the Jeep as they did on a bike.

Even then, imagine the space immediately behind your windscreen on the bike and how relatively dry that stays. Inside of the Bronco will be the same except for when you’re parked... and that’s just for the stuff that’s actually exposed. Most connectors will be tucked away behind trim and dash.

Of course if you’re going to be running with tops off a lot, and figure you will inevitably get caught in the rain, it would be of benefit to consider what materials you are going to use for your mods. Sounds like you’ve got a good sense of that already.

My experience is that basically everything dries out eventually and the stuff that doesn’t, like electronics, aren’t being left out in a vehicle with it’s top off... or are marketed for this type of vehicle and are already water resistant.

YMMV.

OP
OP
ilbastarge

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ah I see!

It sounded like you were asking if we were planning on using marine grade vinyl (MGV) on our Broncos because it works so well on bikes... and we were confused because some Broncos already come with MGV.

We know the hero switches and steering wheel controls are encapsulated and water resistant.

Come from the Jeep side of the house I’ve never felt the need to use marine connectors or anything for items inside my vehicle because I’m not running into scenarios where things are getting that wet. Compared to my motorcycles things never got as wet in the Jeep as they did on a bike.

Even then, imagine the space immediately behind your windscreen on the bike and how relatively dry that stays. Inside of the Bronco will be the same except for when you’re parked... and that’s just for the stuff that’s actually exposed. Most connectors will be tucked away behind trim and dash.

If you’re going to be running with tops off a lot, and figure you will inevitably get caught in the rain, it would be of benefit to consider what materials you are going to use for your mods.

My experience is that basically everything dries out eventually and the stuff that doesn’t, like electronics, aren’t being left out in a vehicle with it’s top off.

YMMV.
Well, Southern Maine to Western MA is my intended AOO. I'm old so not doing any Minuteman 1000/Saddlesore 1000/Bun Burner 1500s anymore. Not in the Bronco either. :D

EDIT: Looks like you do/did track days (at least) on your bike. Still active?

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, Southern Maine to Western MA is my intended AOO. I'm old so not doing any Minuteman 1000/Saddlesore 1000/Bun Burner 1500s anymore. Not in the Bronco either. :D

EDIT: Looks like you do/did track days (at least) on your bike. Still active?
I’m in Western MA and race vintage classes in the USCRA at Loudon NHMS and Canaan NH.

My MM1000 days are long past, and I’m not even that old. Still go camping on the motorcycle though... but I realized a while ago I didn’t have anything I actually needed to prove. ;)

OP
OP
ilbastarge

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I’m in Western MA and race vintage classes in the USCRA at Loudon NHMS and Canaan NH.

My MM1000 days are long past, and I’m not even that old. Still go camping on the motorcycle though... but I realized a while ago I didn’t have anything I actually needed to prove. ;)
I just do things to "prove myself to myself". Maybe that should be a concern.

OT - Is there going to be a general "Troubleshooting" section here? I see the specific system areas (suspension, electrical, and the like). Figured there might be a "General" one to give an idea where to start the research... 🤷‍♂️

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

flip a coin

Sponsored

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fair enough. Just trying to learn the place and people. Thank you. I appreciate the guidance.
You are very welcome. Expect the same level of guidance in your personal life decisions from strangers on the internet any time!
Sponsored