Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST, '84 Isuzu Trooper
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I got an ARB portable air compressor kit with my ford points. Works great and it was basically free but it takes up precious cargo space in my 2dr.
I want to mount it under the hood and the wiring seems suspiciously easy. The compressor comes with a switch and battery clamps. Would simply hooking up the battery clamp wires to the battery and the switch wires to one of the aux switches using similarity thick wires work? Am I missing anything? I've seen tutorials on wiring a compressor and they use fuses, pressure sensors, etc.
It's my first time wiring anything. I feel pretty dumb asking but I'd feel dumber damaging the compressor or the bronco.
Sponsored

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got an ARB portable air compressor kit with my ford points. Works great and it was basically free but it takes up precious cargo space in my 2dr.
I want to mount it under the hood and the wiring seems suspiciously easy. The compressor comes with a switch and battery clamps. Would simply hooking up the battery clamp wires to the battery and the switch wires to one of the aux switches using similarity thick wires work? Am I missing anything? I've seen tutorials on wiring a compressor and they use fuses, pressure sensors, etc.
It's my first time wiring anything. I feel pretty dumb asking but I'd feel dumber damaging the compressor or the bronco.
I don't see why not. It's only three wires to make it work. The red and black to the battery and a wire to the Aux switch you choose. Should work! Hmmmmmm

351W-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1969 Bronco, 2001 Excursion (7.3L)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I assume the portable unit has an On/Off switch, so that switch is going to control whether or not the copressor is running. To control it from an Aux Switch, you'll need to interrupt the power to the conmpressor with a relay, which will in turn then be controlled by an Aux switch.

OP
OP
pveoq

pveoq

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't see why not. It's only three wires to make it work. The red and black to the battery and a wire to the Aux switch you choose. Should work! Hmmmmmm
Cool, I'll give it a try thanks. Love the videos btw!

OP
OP
pveoq

pveoq

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I assume the portable unit has an On/Off switch, so that switch is going to control whether or not the copressor is running. To control it from an Aux Switch, you'll need to interrupt the power to the conmpressor with a relay, which will in turn then be controlled by an Aux switch.
Does the aux switches work different than an on/off switch? I was thinking the aux switch would act like the portable unit's on/off switch. It's not a one to one replacement?

Sponsored

351W-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1969 Bronco, 2001 Excursion (7.3L)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Aux switch is an On/Off switch, so it will take the place of the ARB unit's switch. So you will either need to wire the Aux Switch in series with the ARB switch (then both switches will need to be On), or you need to rewire things so the Aux switch is the only power switch and it alone controls the ARB compressor.

OP
OP
pveoq

pveoq

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The Aux switch is an On/Off switch, so it will take the place of the ARB unit's switch. So you will either need to wire the Aux Switch in series with the ARB switch (then both switches will need to be On), or you need to rewire things so the Aux switch is the only power switch and it alone controls the ARB compressor.
Ooh gotcha. Yea my plan is to remove the switch that came with it and wire its cables to an aux switch.

OP
OP
pveoq

pveoq

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thank you for the kind words!

Good luck, can you post a photo when done with results!?
Will do! I'm still shopping around for an air compressor mount but will post once I'm done.

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 2.3L Non-Sasquatch Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It really is that easy! I just did it on Friday. I literally just connected a spade connector to my aux 6 wire in the engine bay and connected that to the purple wire in the first main harness from the compressor. No need for the complicated second harness at all.

Sponsored

66stmpd

Everglades
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.66stmpd.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

I want to find an under-the-hood mount for the ARB compressor for a 23 Everglades..... nothing so far is available and a custom one would be the only option it would fit in the right spot. DV8 has an Air Compressor Mount & Storage Box option but I have that OEM Ford Slide Out Tailgate Table and load on top.......I don't want it hanging off a Molle panel inside the cab.....just want it nice and tucked in the engine compartment. Thoughts? Another option is a portable unit.....Which I have Dewalt and Milwaukee portable compressors that's another thing to load and unload.....trying to avoid that.

Sozzy1269

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco 2door, 2012 Raptor, 2017 f350
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I want to find an under-the-hood mount for the ARB compressor for a 23 Everglades..... nothing so far is available and a custom one would be the only option it would fit in the right spot. DV8 has an Air Compressor Mount & Storage Box option but I have that OEM Ford Slide Out Tailgate Table and load on top.......I don't want it hanging off a Molle panel inside the cab.....just want it nice and tucked in the engine compartment. Thoughts? Another option is a portable unit.....Which I have Dewalt and Milwaukee portable compressors that's another thing to load and unload.....trying to avoid that.
There are several available, and I believe a few vendors on this side have mounts available. Do a search.

MTHOOK

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just installed an ARB under hood. I did not have any aux switches available. I rand the switch under the grill to access from outside the car along with the Air disconnect. It is only active when Ignition is on.

2023-10-06 14.39.41.jpg

2023-09-28 17.14.39.jpg

2023-09-27 17.43.30.jpg

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You could do it. Just remove the compressor from the box. You won't use the switch as you'll use an upfitter. Use our bracket to mount the compressor under your hood:

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/kr-off-road-air-compressor-engine-bay-kit-for-2021-ford-bronco/

You might have to extend the control cable, since they don't use the big long cable in the box to turn the compressor on/off (the control cable is where the switch wire goes to).

We also sell switch mounting brackets if you wanted to re-use the switch of course:

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/kr-off...-coupler-switch-bracket-for-2021-ford-bronco/
Sponsored