Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm hoping someone who has torn into the aux switch area can help me out here. I want to relocate my Yaesu 400 control panel up near the AUX switches using a 3D printed bracket a friend is willing to create for me. My though is to use a combination of 3M adhesive tape with adhesion promoter, and two self tapping screws into the plastic that aren't going to go very deep, just enough to bite with mostly the adhesive doing the work. I'm thinking the area behind the plastic I want to mount probably has nothing at all behind it, at least for about an inch or so since that space was more used when you don't have AUX switches.

Here is my prototype that I created just by taking a desktop mount and running it thru a slicer and adding some shape to it. This does work but I don't think the down angle will be good enough:

Ford Bronco Mounting Near AUX Switches IMG_2698

Here is where I want to mount it (credit to whoever's photo i stole):

Ford Bronco Mounting Near AUX Switches 1674754965683
Sponsored

OP
OP
JediMcMuffin

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Perhaps I have my own answer, it looks like during this upgrade @Middleton Motorsports got a good shot of a significant gap between the outside of the trim piece and where the upfitter switch components are:

Ford Bronco Mounting Near AUX Switches 1674755896956

OP
OP
JediMcMuffin

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alternative idea: remove the upper console entirely, and drill a single hole and fix a 67D ball mount to that area, giving me the ability to angle the control panel anyway i want.

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm hoping someone who has torn into the aux switch area can help me out here. I want to relocate my Yaesu 400 control panel up near the AUX switches using a 3D printed bracket a friend is willing to create for me. My though is to use a combination of 3M adhesive tape with adhesion promoter, and two self tapping screws into the plastic that aren't going to go very deep, just enough to bite with mostly the adhesive doing the work. I'm thinking the area behind the plastic I want to mount probably has nothing at all behind it, at least for about an inch or so since that space was more used when you don't have AUX switches.

Here is my prototype that I created just by taking a desktop mount and running it thru a slicer and adding some shape to it. This does work but I don't think the down angle will be good enough:

Here is where I want to mount it (credit to whoever's photo i stole):

Whats a : " Yaesu 400 control panel "

71YyJp9386S.jpg

FTM-400DRXDR_thumb.jpg

0321_Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Raptor, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Alternative idea: remove the upper console entirely, and drill a single hole and fix a 67D ball mount to that area, giving me the ability to angle the control panel anyway i want.
Hey, @Johnny Rebel solved this issue with his Yaesu in a very sleek way. I can't find the pix/thread but hoping he might chime in. From our conversation, he wrote, "Lido LM-AD1 Display Head Adapter Kit for the FTM-400 control head from GigaParts that has a mini ball mount on it. I had an old Bracketron adhesive base with a post on it from some other past install that I used to mount the base to the overhead plastic trim above the visor. It's solid with minimal vibration and a great place for mounting things like the radio or the SwitchPros box."

It's worth a look, he did a really nice job.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JediMcMuffin

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey, @Johnny Rebel solved this issue with his Yaesu in a very sleek way. I can't find the pix/thread but hoping he might chime in. From our conversation, he wrote, "Lido LM-AD1 Display Head Adapter Kit for the FTM-400 control head from GigaParts that has a mini ball mount on it. I had an old Bracketron adhesive base with a post on it from some other past install that I used to mount the base to the overhead plastic trim above the visor. It's solid with minimal vibration and a great place for mounting things like the radio or the SwitchPros box."

It's worth a look, he did a really nice job.
You're right, he absolutely did. I've ordered the same adapter. If I can make this work with adhesive I will. I want to clear my view of as many obstructions as I can. I jumped on this because I have the IAG interior lighting solution on the way and if I'm going to tear apart that area anyway I should be able to get a really nice wiring setup done. Long term I need to get my radio in a different spot as I have it mounted to a JCR Offroad molle panel along the right side of the center console, but I'm pretty sure I want the radio control panel up there and nicely out of the way regardless.

0321_Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Raptor, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You're right, he absolutely did. I've ordered the same adapter. If I can make this work with adhesive I will. I want to clear my view of as many obstructions as I can. I jumped on this because I have the IAG interior lighting solution on the way and if I'm going to tear apart that area anyway I should be able to get a really nice wiring setup done. Long term I need to get my radio in a different spot as I have it mounted to a JCR Offroad molle panel along the right side of the center console, but I'm pretty sure I want the radio control panel up there and nicely out of the way regardless.
Yea, I'm going the same route. Hid the GMRS behind the glove box and putting the 400 where Johnny did... keep us posted!

OP
OP
JediMcMuffin

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey @Johnny Rebel did you also desolder the resistor on your Yaesu 400 to allow it to transmit on GMRS frequencies? I'm scheming to do that as well.

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Big Bend, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sorry I’m so late to the party, but thanks to @0321_Bronco and @JediMcMuffin for the kind words on my install. I wanted the control head close but out of my line of sight so I mounted it above the driver’s side visor.

For anybody reading this that’s interested in buying and using the Yaesu 400 but doesn’t have soldering skills, check out the MARS mod from Gigaparts when you order the radio.

Here are a few pics of the mount.

Ford Bronco Mounting Near AUX Switches 94FF9E1B-5CDC-44EB-A53E-7F844C0AB0B2
Ford Bronco Mounting Near AUX Switches F0C6964D-F45A-4C18-8BED-45C0A7933D58
Ford Bronco Mounting Near AUX Switches 3EB2D21F-F39B-4447-9D6C-31FEAA867ACC
Sponsored