Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Bronco Custom Illuminated Aux Switches - DIY IMG20240208172530

Ford Bronco Custom Illuminated Aux Switches - DIY IMG20240208184110

This was quite the process to dial in but really happy with the results. Don't yet have anything hooked up to AUX1 so leaving it alone for now, but have a "SWY" label for the future as I hope to install OEM disconnect.

First step was to create vinyl labels using a Cricut machine. I went through numerous iterations to get the letters cut well, be legible and not have any floating pieces. I ended up using the top row as they cut clean and mimicked OEM.

Ford Bronco Custom Illuminated Aux Switches - DIY IMG20240206180559

I then taped off the switches and used sand paper on a Popsicle stick to sand off the OEM lettering, cleaning with IPA as I went. It was tedious as I needed to sand just for the letters but not outside of the vinyl.

Ford Bronco Custom Illuminated Aux Switches - DIY IMG20240208163850

The end result is fully illuminated Aux Switches with custom labeling. I'm pretty dang happy with how it turned out.

*Edit: Attached a zip file of the SVG since a few folks have been asking for it.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That looks awesome! Great idea.

Could you have used a little Dremel tool to do some precise sanding? Might make it a bit easier.

OP
OP
dcaero

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That looks awesome! Great idea.

Could you have used a little Dremel tool to do some precise sanding? Might make it a bit easier.
I thought about that but didn't want anything not manual as a quick slip would mean irreversible sanding.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought about that but didn't want anything not manual as a quick slip would mean irreversible sanding.
Good call. I guess it depends how steady of a hand you have.

Did you look at removing the switches and doing it when they weren't mounted to the Bronco? Not even sure if that's possible or not, but would make it easier to do I'd imagine.

Regardless, cool mod and well done!

Sponsored

Searchdawg

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Supercrew Platinum 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

This was quite the process to dial in but really happy with the results. Don't yet have anything hooked up to AUX1 so leaving it alone for now, but have a "SWY" label for the future as I hope to install OEM disconnect.

First step was to create vinyl labels using a Cricut machine. I went through numerous iterations to get the letters cut well, be legible and not have any floating pieces. I ended up using the top row as they cut clean and mimicked OEM.

I then taped off the switches and used sand paper on a Popsicle stick to sand off the OEM lettering, cleaning with IPA as I went. It was tedious as I needed to sand just for the letters but not outside of the vinyl.

The end result is fully illuminated Aux Switches with custom labeling. I'm pretty dang happy with how it turned out.
Looks great!

OP
OP
dcaero

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you decide to start this as a side business, I volunteer to eat the popsicles so you can get more sticks for sanding.
That's how my wife said to get a Popsicle stick, I decided to order 200 from Amazon for $4 instead... But I'll keep you in mind if I run out 😉

OP
OP
dcaero

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good call. I guess it depends how steady of a hand you have.

Did you look at removing the switches and doing it when they weren't mounted to the Bronco? Not even sure if that's possible or not, but would make it easier to do I'd imagine.

Regardless, cool mod and well done!
I did, but it's numerous interior panels and figured I'd give it a shot before doing that. It was a pain to be in an awkward position but hey it worked out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dcaero

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That looks great! You have waaaaaay more patience than I would. (y)
The patience was definitely tested as I was using tweezers to perfectly place the vinyl!

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Best Use of An IPA Beer Award. 🏆
I highly recommend IPA as a beer. I cannot in good conscience recommend isopropyl alcohol since it isn't nearly as refreshing.

TraumaJoe

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

CC

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for, great idea!!!! What font and font size did you use?

OP
OP
dcaero

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
CC

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for, great idea!!!! What font and font size did you use?
Oh man, this was many trials. It was a generic font that I manually edited to make it work. I'd be more than happy to send over the SVG file.

TraumaJoe

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh man, this was many trials. It was a generic font that I manually edited to make it work. I'd be more than happy to send over the SVG file.
That would be amazing, thank you so much… I’ll DM you my email address!
Sponsored