Sponsored

My Front Locker Failed Me, I could use some guidance please.

BLTom

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We were at San Hollow for UBB last week and we had a blast. Ran West Rin the first day, it was a bit more technical than I expected, not super difficult but some obstacles were in very tight spaces.

Day 2 we ran Plan B, holy crap there was some big shit to climb, at least for my experience. In the past I had not found an obstacle that I couldn’t manage. This day was a different story. I don’t know if this climb had a name but it was pretty big and steep, perhaps I waited to long to turn on my front locker, I was a little bout up when I pressed the switch, I received error message via the dash screen, I can’t remember exactly what it said but some thing like not available and service something or another. So no front locker for this climb. I made sever attempt but was not successful, so out came the winch. After I reached the top I turned off all 4wd and steering options shut the bronco down for a few minutes, restart and everything appears to be fine. Made it up several more climbs just fine seemed as though the locker was working again but a couple times it would not turn on the switch just blinked it was not engaging, but no messages or codes. Another step one comes, and I can’t get up, they say no locker, I don’t recall if there was a message or not on the screen but I had to bypass this time. So next I turned off all the systems, disconnected the battery, restarted seemed fine but the spotter mention it didn’t look engaged to him but I had no more problems for the rest of the trail.

So all that to ask, how the heck do I test to see if the locker is working without trail testing, All I can think of is putting it up on stand to see if the tires rotate together.

I’ll probably be taking it to the dealer, because warranty, but if the screen and the switches are all working as they currently are. I’d assume they would not do much else beside tell me it is fine.

Or would they be able to do a scan to see if it is a computer issue or something else?

Help a brother out, what would you do?
Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Very easy, turn it on on gravel, make a turn and listen for tire slippage.

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe pushing too many buttons, too many times, too quickly?

Sponsored
OP
OP

BLTom

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well if you send me your VIN I can pull it up and see if you have any DTCs pending or something to give you some guidance. That seems a little weird
appreciate it
1FMDE5CP4MLB01079

OP
OP

BLTom

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very easy, turn it on on gravel, make a turn and listen for tire slippage.
I tried this but didn't notice a difference on or off, it was pretty grippy both ways

Sponsored

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.keeseemotorcompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

appreciate it
1FMDE5CP4MLB01079
AWD C0684:98 Differential Locking Actuator 'A': Component Or System Over Temperature
That's the code I found. Based on the Pinpoint test it's either the AWD module, a bad ground, or a voltage issue.

OP
OP

BLTom

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

AWD C0684:98 Differential Locking Actuator 'A': Component Or System Over Temperature
That's the code I found. Based on the Pinpoint test it's either the AWD module, a bad ground, or a voltage issue.
thanks man, guess I'll take it in

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Wow, that's fantastic. So helpful. I assume you work at a dealer?