John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If it was the valve keeper issue. Provide your engine date code or look it up on those threads my thoight is that internal mechanical damage from dropped valves can lead to blown head gasket and that's the water source.

On the bright side you should be able to buy a crate motor yourself for around 4000 USD and swap for a grand in labour
Sponsored

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Quite a rare failure, it's very unfortunate it happened to you but somewhat comforting to the rest of us that the failure was caused by an external source.

On the bright side you should be able to buy a crate motor yourself for around 4000 USD and swap for a grand in labour
This is the way. Should save several grand in the end.

OP
OP
Fitz88

Fitz88

Badlands
First Name
Dave Fitzmorris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was it raining? Did you hit any puddles at highway speed?

Im no mechanic but that looks like a gap was created between two cylinders. I would guess that’s hydrolock-inspired pressure relief gap.
Here I. Nova scotia, it has been raining quite a lot in the last few weeks

Kevin Scarbel

Everglades
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Everglades 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
I got it used a year ago and got an aftermarket warranty, they are looking into it now but they said if it is water damage it is not covered
You've owned it for 12 months.
Have you changed the air filter.....over those 12 months?
Or is what we see in the pictures....the way you purchased the truck?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kevin Scarbel

Everglades
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Everglades 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Odds on this being a flood damaged car from Florida ?
I'm trying to understand what evaluation/maintenance was done by this second owner at the time of purchase........all part of evaluating a used truck's condition if the history is unknown/non-confirmable.

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands with Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good day all,

I am seeking advise regarding my current situation with my Bronco.

About 3 weeks ago I was driving on the highway and the Bronco started shaking like crazy, I thought the motor was gonna fly out of the bay.

I pulled over the side and at the same time my engine check light came on, my friend who is a mechanic came to meet me there to check the faults, so I had faults thaT said cylinder 3 and 4 misfire.

I got it tow to my dealer, after 2 and a half weeks they came back with this "We cannot confirm that water was the actual culprit , it was just a possibility. All we know is that something went through the engine." And they told me that it was not cover under the warranty as I had 109 000km so 9000 pass the warranty.

Also the oil was clean no sign of water.

I still don t know what was the cause and I sure didn't go swimming with it. I am attaching the pictures they send me.

So now I need a new engine and the bill is 12k canadian.

Any thoughts and what should I do.

Screenshot_20240413_124423_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20240413_124419_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20240413_124413_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20240413_124405_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20240413_124359_Gmail.jpg
I would call Ford directly and see if you get any support...if nothing else they may split the bill which is still ridiculous in my opinion but I would start there.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it was the valve keeper issue. Provide your engine date code or look it up on those threads my thoight is that internal mechanical damage from dropped valves can lead to blown head gasket and that's the water source.

The 2.3L motors *also* have a valve keeper issue? I thought it was just the 2.7's?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford extended warranty only covers select engine components not necessarily an engine replacement.
PremiumCare, which is the most commonly sold Ford ESP, will cover complete engine replacement if there is engine failure like the original post.

The 2.3L motors *also* have a valve keeper issue? I thought it was just the 2.7's?
No. I think he was just thought it was a 2.7, not a 2.3.

Sponsored

drewski

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2012 Ford F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
PremiumCare, which is the most commonly sold Ford ESP, will cover complete engine replacement if there is engine failure like the original post.

No. I think he was just thought it was a 2.7, not a 2.3.
Every break down I see of the ESP only has limited parts covered. None of the reciprocating components are even listed other than a timing chain as covered. No cylinder head or any of its components, no engine block mentioned. If there is a more comprehensive list I sure would like to see it.

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Every break down I see of the ESP only has limited parts covered. None of the reciprocating components are even listed other than a timing chain as covered. No cylinder head or any of its components, no engine block mentioned. If there is a more comprehensive list I sure would like to see it.
Do you have the ESP? My contract explicitly lists the parts you're stating are not covered.

"Cylinder Heads" and "Cylinder Block" are there under PremiumCARE.

Ford Bronco Need a new engine on my 2021 Badlands Sasquatch 1713129714759-4f

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don’t have a list of everything covered, but I do this for a living. Premiumcare covers practically everything. I’ve replaced tons of engines through ESP.

Bronco4Joe

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 4x4 Southern Comfort
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Was somebody watching your car when you were underway? Veteran here, and we had some problems in my platoon with "friends" who watched some of my troops cars while deployed who took less than good care of them, racking up 10k plus miles, accidents without fixing, etc...In one case at least, the owner took the "friend" to small claims court, I don't know all the details, but they did recoup some of the repair cost from a sympathetic judge.

Not making any assumptions in your case, but talking to whomever might have been watching it and asking if there is something they aren't telling you could help get to the bottom of the cause at least.

edit to say: You should keep your Command informed about this, there may be some tools they have to help you out.
Haha, It was Jody. He was taking care of everthing!

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Air box definitely took water.
Sponsored