First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My number one motivation to purchase the Bronco came after reading an article stating towing with all wheels down was an option. I went to a local dealership (San Antonio, TX) and traded my 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon. First trip came a week later. The trip out was awesome. Enjoyed the R&R and returned home only to find out that I could not move the Bronco.
When I first pressed the start button, foot off brake, lights on the dash went crazy. Got heat it a minute no change. I turned it back off and tried it again. This time the check engine lights were on and the message ‘service vehicle soon’. I tried to disengage the neutral tow and nothing happened. I turned it off and started over. This time message ‘neutral tow disabled’ came up. I put the Bronco in neutral and tried to bckup, the engine just raced up. I tried moving forward, same result. I called the dealership and the service advisor told me to disconnect the battery for a few and reconnect and try again. 5 mins later reconnected the battery and tried again, that too was unsuccessful. Next step was flat bed to the dealer , and that’s where things got interesting.
I received a call from the service writer. Let’s call him “John”. John informed me there was ‘catastrophic failure to the transmission resulting from improperly engaging neutral tow.,‘ an hour later I was sitting in the service managers office. We’ll call him ’Bob’ . Bob put on his most diplomatic face and tried to explain to me how “delicate” and “sensitive“ this vehicle was. Bob wanted to know if we were taught how to properly engage the neutral tow function. The answer to that was a resounding “NO!” Needless to say things did not improve from there. The conversation turned to him trying to quiz me on exactly what I did. The General Manager joined the conversation and assured me they were on my side and would be doing everything they could to “help me out”. At some point I ask, “ So based on our conversation, you guys are alleging that I failed to properly engage neutral tow and towed the Bronco with the transmission in park. So are you saying all the other people on the internet have made this same mistake? “. There was an awkward silence.. I was suddenly provided a loaner and asked to allow them time to “properly” investigate the issue. I left with a 2023 F150 loaner.
I am still waiting on the call. From what I’ve been reading. I am thinking the outcome will not be in my favor that this is a warranty issue.
Sponsored

Blue Bulldog

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi. Just bought a new bronco four months ago for the purpose of towing it behind the RV. Traveled this summer all over New England. Labor Day weekend we went 300 miles to N Michigan and it wouldn't come out of neutral tow. Wouldn't go forward or reverse. Rented a car, Had to tow it back home. Went to dealership where I bought it. I bought the preferred warranty. They won't cover it. They say its operator's failure. They also won't pay towards the rental car fees I've incurred and am still paying for. The warranty clearly states all this is covered. I called Ford Corporate. Not helpful at all. It's costing me $10,000! So, now I have a car I am afraid to tow again so what use is it? Very upsetting. Something is wrong here.
Unfortunately you are a new member of our Ford sucks club. I was the same as you, can never trust to tow again.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My recommendation is that you video tape the process of putting the vehicle into flat towing mode every time. That way you have proof it was done correctly, along with a physical checklist that you document the process of entering and exiting flat tow mode. It's really hard to blame the customer when you have video and a documented check list. It's time this shit ends...

Ford seems to have a flat tow and accountability problem.

Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My recommendation is that you video tape the process of putting the vehicle into flat towing mode every time. That way you have proof it was done correctly, along with a physical checklist that you document the process of entering and exiting flat tow mode. It's really hard to blame the customer when you have video and a documented check list. It's time this shit ends...

Ford seems to have a flat tow and accountability problem.

This was my thought exactly. Document what you do. I'd even voice what step you are doing as you are doing it.

Having said that, I just bought a dedicated toad and will postpone using the Bronco for a few years.

aknavy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Mine has been in the shop for a month. It was stuck in neutral tow after our last trip. I tried disconnecting battery multiple times. Then I saw a slight oil drip on the transmission and sent it to the shop......still in neutral tow. One of the first questions was "Did you tow it behind an RV", and of course the answer is yes, and I followed the directions exactly from the electronic owners manual....and it's still in neutral tow.

It has had the transmission and actuator motor replaced, and now it's waiting on a transfer case. It was rolling freely the when we hit the road, with neutral tow displayed, and when we got to our destination. In fact, we pushed the Bronco to our RV site.

I don't know what had to have happened to take out both the transmission and transfer case. Maybe it got into 4x4 somehow while towing. I'm half expecting them to replace the transfer case, then tell me the differentials are bad.

Ford gave me a rental for 10 days, I've been on my own for the rest. We full time RV, this is our only vehicle to get around in, and the only reason I bought it was for the flat tow ability. What a joke. I can never do it again, as all I'll think of driving down the road is a destroyed transmission and $10k bill.

So far, I think it's being covered by warranty. There has been no mention of it being my fault or my expense from the service manager. I did record the fact that it was in neutral tow before I sent it to the dealer, but not before the travel day. I would second the recommendation to record the procedure every time, as well as taking it out, just in case it comes out and doesn't work.

As soon as I get it back, it's being traded in. I can't trust it. Two years of full time RVing with a Wrangler, never one issue. Back to the Jeep I go.

63GBPackerfan

Outer Banks
First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Mine has been in the shop for a month. It was stuck in neutral tow after our last trip. I tried disconnecting battery multiple times. Then I saw a slight oil drip on the transmission and sent it to the shop......still in neutral tow. One of the first questions was "Did you tow it behind an RV", and of course the answer is yes, and I followed the directions exactly from the electronic owners manual....and it's still in neutral tow.

It has had the transmission and actuator motor replaced, and now it's waiting on a transfer case. It was rolling freely the when we hit the road, with neutral tow displayed, and when we got to our destination. In fact, we pushed the Bronco to our RV site.

I don't know what had to have happened to take out both the transmission and transfer case. Maybe it got into 4x4 somehow while towing. I'm half expecting them to replace the transfer case, then tell me the differentials are bad.

Ford gave me a rental for 10 days, I've been on my own for the rest. We full time RV, this is our only vehicle to get around in, and the only reason I bought it was for the flat tow ability. What a joke. I can never do it again, as all I'll think of driving down the road is a destroyed transmission and $10k bill.

So far, I think it's being covered by warranty. There has been no mention of it being my fault or my expense from the service manager. I did record the fact that it was in neutral tow before I sent it to the dealer, but not before the travel day. I would second the recommendation to record the procedure every time, as well as taking it out, just in case it comes out and doesn't work.

As soon as I get it back, it's being traded in. I can't trust it. Two years of full time RVing with a Wrangler, never one issue. Back to the Jeep I go.
I don't blame you.

Fillups

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Expedition EL
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I scanned this whole thread, but may have missed some detail about the auto vs. 7MT question - where folks think the 7MT is immune, or at least the safer bet.

If the most likely culprit is the voltage drop causing the transfer case to come out of neutral-tow mode, why couldn’t the same thing happen with the 7MT? Electronic transfer case is coming out of neutral-tow, not the actual transmission, right?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I scanned this whole thread, but may have missed some detail about the auto vs. 7MT question - where folks think the 7MT is immune, or at least the safer bet.

If the most likely culprit is the voltage drop causing the transfer case to come out of neutral-tow mode, why couldn’t the same thing happen with the 7MT? Electronic transfer case is coming out of neutral-tow, not the actual transmission, right?
Yes, I don't see where the MT would be any better unless the output shaft sling lube on rotation.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

MTs don't use an engine driven pump for lube, they lube themselves because the driveline is partially submerged in lube, same as diffs. Flat towing was restricted to MTs for this reason for a long time on 2wd vehicles (unless you took the time to remove the driveshaft). The 7mt Bronco DOES have neutral tow (I checked on mine), but it wouldn't destroy the tranny if not used. Either way the feature seems to have a bug, and Ford needs to fix it!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was googling something somewhat related to this and found an article specifically stating that manual transmission are just as problematic because the gear oil circulation is based off of the engine shaft side of rotation and not the driveline side. (Now this is on the internet so I'll take it with a grain of salt)

I'm with you. I think the transfer case is the key here.

I wonder if one could put the transfer case in neutral and then disconnect the gear connection so it physically could not engage it back? Or is it so electronic that there is not even something you could disconnect?

Wouldn't it be awesome if you could just pull a fuse/relay and kill all electronics involved in shifting the tcase?

GddyupGG

Outer Banks
First Name
Divelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Please keep all on this forum advised what Ford ends up doing for you. Many of us have been given the middle finger when it comes to Ford and this neutral tow issue.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
"Wouldn't it be awesome if you could just pull a fuse/relay and kill all electronics involved in shifting the tcase?"
I believe that there is a way to accomplish that. If nothing else, a battery disconnect would likely be fast enough to prevent it from happening. That might be a worthwhile option to investigate.

63GBPackerfan

Outer Banks
First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Please keep all on this forum advised what Ford ends up doing for you. Many of us have been given the middle finger when it comes to Ford and this neutral tow issue.
There’s obviously no rhyme or reason to whether it’s covered under warranty. I wonder if ours was covered because it’s a lease.

I guess if they didn’t cover ours, I would just tell them to take their Bronco back and get out of the lease.
Sponsored