WilVis

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
UPDATE 03/31: Dealer was planning to replace the valve body and a solenoid, but then found metal debris. Now waiting for a new transmission to arrive for replacement. So far 21 days without use of the vehicle.

UPDATE 03/14: Vehicle is showing fault code P0756, which apparently means stuck in 3rd gear. Transmission requires disassembly for further diagnosis, which will take a minimum of three weeks. Will be towed to another dealer with a transmission tech. I'm fully expecting to not have the Basesquatch back for a month.

UPDATE 03/13: Picked up Bronco from dealer, who said the torque converter solenoid was sticking, which had happened before on new Broncos. Service advised take it on a road trip or drive more. Was able to get 130 miles in on a Saturday drive. Next morning, made it a couple of miles before engine failure again when in gear. Towed back to dealership. One common factor both days of engine failure was snow, so perhaps water is causing problems. Clearly a defect.

Unfortunate day yesterday as my two-week old 2023 2.3l Basesquatch with 157 miles on the odometer died and won't run longer than a few seconds upon start up. I went out for a milk run in the morning snow and had the vehicle in 4A for the first time. Was enjoying the ride, however as I pulled back into my driveway the engine started shaking, as error codes flashed and things went to hell.

At first I though it was a 4x4 issue, but I was able to get back into 2wd with no improvements. Engine starts and then immediately lugs and dies. Obviously not excited about a brand new vehicle having serious issues, but I'm sure it happens and I drew the short straw. At least I didn't break down on the road.

Ford Roadside Service showed up quickly and the truck is back at the dealer. Apparently only one tech at work this week, so it may be some time before they even get to it. Service manger on the phone thought it might be a voltage issue. Communication back from the dealership so far has not been great and no offers have been made for a loaner or other assistance.

Any advice is appreciated. I'll update when I hear more.

Ford Bronco New BaseSquatch Dies at 157 Miles - Needs New Auto Transmission deadbronco
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gizmo

Outer Banks
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2020 Porsche Macan 23 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Unfortunate day yesterday as my two-week old 2023 2.3l Basesquatch with 157 miles on the odometer died and won't run longer than a few seconds upon start up. I went out for a milk run in the morning snow and had the vehicle in 4A for the first time. Was enjoying the ride, however as I pulled back into my driveway the engine started shaking, as error codes flashed and things went to hell.

At first I though it was a 4x4 issue, but I was able to get back into 2wd with no improvements. Engine starts and then immediately lugs and dies. Obviously not excited about a brand new vehicle having serious issues, but I'm sure it happens and I drew the short straw. At least I didn't break down on the road.

Ford Roadside Service showed up quickly and the truck is back at the dealer. Apparently only one tech at work this week, so it may be some time before they even get to it. Service manger on the phone thought it might be a voltage issue. Communication back from the dealership so far has not been great and no offers have been made for a loaner or other assistance.

deadbronco.jpeg
I have never been so spooked, to buy a vehicle, a $60K one too, I really hate warranty work, slowly losing faith in this thing.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base

Ford Bronco New BaseSquatch Dies at 157 Miles - Needs New Auto Transmission deadbronco
You didn't get one of the recalled 2.3's by chance?

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sorry to hear about your Bronco. Mine's at the dealer at this moment, 3 weeks after delivery it's back, four days ago the rear camera stopped working. That's nothing compared to yours. but, after waiting 22 months, one hopes for no problems.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wow, that really, really sucks. It's scary the problems you read about with the Broncos. There is such a demand for them too. I love mine but so worry about reliability both short and long term.

And even worse is the waiting queue for service. I had to wait 2 months for an appointment for my ghost headlights to be looked at. Hopefully you get your issue resolved and the Bronco back real soon.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WilVis

WilVis

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The recall was the first thing I thought of. To my knowledge I am not in the recall, but the dealer may have more insight. Blend date was 01/25/2023.

RELEGATION BATTLE

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco (2-dr.)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I want to say that particular recall was literally for only 2 days in early-December 2022.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I want to say that particular recall was literally for only 2 days in early-December 2022.
That is my recollection as well, but they were talking about engine build dates. Fits in the possible time frame...

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have never been so spooked, to buy a vehicle, a $60K one too...
I hear what you saying, but this is a $35k vehicle that people add $25k of factory options (in the form of different trim levels) to. The fit, finish and build quality don't change just because you add options.

I respect your opinion... just adding a different point of view.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm sorry op.

For comedic relief, I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere about how this supposedly designed rock crawler died on it's first grocery run, but I'll save that for the Jeep guys in the group.

Sponsored

BigBend530

Big Bend
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2Dr.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had very similar issue on the drive home from buying at the dealership. Mine is a 2.7L but I believe 2.3 and 2.7 are similar in what I'm describing. Mine was throwing fuel pump voltage and injector fault codes. This according to Ford's direction for testing ends with needing a battery junction box as the BJB contains the nonservicable fuel pump relay and relay for injectors. Yes I know 2.7 has 2 sets and 2.3 has one set and don't remember which set (port/direct) relay is in the BJB. I think it was high pressure. Well, after a new BJB, same issues remained. Ended up I needed a new PCM. Purchased on 2/4. Got it back on 3/3. Averaged 3 calls per week to Ford Customer Relations getting things moving along towards repair and expressing I was close to them buying it back.

RELEGATION BATTLE

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco (2-dr.)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That is my recollection as well, but they were talking about engine build dates. Fits in the possible time frame...
The source I was watching was referring to assembly dates at MAP…. But I’m not sure who’s right??

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
The source I was watching was referring to assembly dates at MAP…. But I’m not sure who’s right??
Guess if the OP gets back to us we'll know for certain, otherwise it will remain a mystery...

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not going to lie, I am seriously doubting I would ever take one of these 40 miles up a logging road. It’s becoming this sad running comedy show. It’s this constant roulette of built dates and checking to see if you have one within the window of whatever the current disaster is. Gets old.

but….like any good addict worth their salt I want one anyway and I can not stop from putting my order to get my own ticking time bomb!!

Bugkillah

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base