Sponsored

No VIN Yet, but cannot change items (engine in this case).

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Went into my dealer and tried to change my order from a 2.7 to a 2.3 engine. I just decided with all the holds that maybe I'd get faster service if I dropped the 2.7. Plus -- I think the 2.3 engine is just fine (took a Ranger out) and looks cleaner in the engine compartment.

My order went in Oct. 13th 2022.

Dealer said he tried but that the system wouldn't accept the engine change.

This is too bad, because I also was going to upgrade to a Big Bend and add an eLocker, but am now paranoid that it might allow the Big Bend upgrade but not the eLocker addition... and I really would only go to a Big Bend if I could add the eLocker.

Anybody else have this happen to them (i.e. try to have dealer make changes but the dealer saying "he cannot")?

I thought I could make changes until I was given some sort of notice of a build or a VIN.
Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My order went in Oct. 13th 2022????

Went into my dealer and tried to change my order from a 2.7 to a 2.3 engine. I just decided with all the holds that maybe I'd get faster service if I dropped the 2.7. Plus -- I think the 2.3 engine is just fine (took a Ranger out) and looks cleaner in the engine compartment.

This is too bad, because I also was going to upgrade to a Big Bend and add an eLocker, but am now paranoid that it might allow the Big Bend upgrade but not the eLocker addition... and I really would only go to a Big Bend if I could add the eLocker.

Anybody else have this happen to them (i.e. try to have dealer make changes but the dealer saying "he cannot")?

I thought I could make changes until I was given some sort of notice of a build or a VIN.

OP
OP
Owl

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

My order went in Oct. 13th 2022????
What I meant was I placed the order with my dealer on Oct. 13th, 2021.

I was just wondering if any other folks have seen this. After I placed my order I wanted to make some changes, was able to for a couple of things... like bumper and floor mats, but not an engine change.

Just seeing if this has happened to others.

Another thing... when I try to go to the link sent out from Ford concerning my order... it now goes to a blank screen. I went and asked the dealer and he could still pull the order up for me and my daughter (she ordered a 4-door Outerbanks).

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Broncdakk

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had an order for a black diamond on 11/7/2021. Went in to upgrade the trim to a badlands on 1/30/2022 after reading this forum quite a bit and having a much better idea of what I wanted. It cost me my place in line to upgrade the trim (dealer called it changing the build), but I'm not in a huge hurry anyway and am good with waiting to get what I want. Ford's site said that you can change your order anytime before you get a build date, but I guess that may only apply to reservation holders. To my knowledge, the black diamond was never scheduled for production. Didn't get an email or anything and the dealer didn't say anything. Both the canceled build and the new build are 2.3l manuals.

OP
OP
Owl

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, I was thinking that maybe Ford had built it already (the eternal optimist), and therefore not being able to change the engine made sense. I thought maybe it was sitting in one of those large parking lots in Michigan waiting for some chips, a radio, or maybe a kickstand... who knows what. I decided to take the modular bumper off, but then put it back on a couple of weeks later (both were allowed).

You probably did the right thing... and just did a re-do. I'll have to think on that one.

frankk

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Elise
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Isn't the engine type code into the VIN? So if Ford changes the engine, your VIN will change too. Not sure that'll happen.

Edit: just confirmed. The eighth character in your VIN is engine type. H is 2.3, P is 2.7.

Last edited:

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ordered my Bronco Oct 13. This January swapped motor from 2.7 to 2.3 while my order was in “ preview” status. Three days later, I received a VIN and a schedule build week. In other words, your dealer is lying. For what reason, who knows.

OP
OP
Owl

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, that doesn't give me great hope. The only e-mail I have ever gotten from Ford was the Confirmation e-mail on Oct. 23rd that the order had been placed. Nothing else since then and I can't even use the URL in the e-mail to find the order (it goes to a blank page now).

Had the dealer print out the order page with the order number, but nothing since then. The order number is all I have at this point.

Is there any back-door way of getting info on an order with just the "R" number?

If so... a pointer would be helpful.
Sponsored