BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So far sport mode didn't do anything different and a couple tanks of high octane hasn't helped after clearing out the fuel from over the winter. I have been able to get boost up to 16-17 if I really load it up in 3rd or 4th. Still nothing in 1st. Maybe 1psi if you put your foot to the floor.

There is a little play in the connections to the intercooler. I need to pull the skid plate and investigate that further. It doesn't feel like those are hose clamp connections. It has a spring clip to keep the hose on there. I will attempt to look at this on Sunday. If nothing works I will schedule something next week to go into the dealer.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BaseBD

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have not gotten any codes. I am hoping to get the Bronco in this week or next to the shop and see if they can find the issue. I am not too confident tho.

DEC

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 640, Mustang Bullitt, Mazda 3, Honda Accord,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sounds about the same as mine. Not really seeing any boost in 1st gear either. No codes and seems to drI’ve ok.

judgefudge72

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 OBX High Sas
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Same here no boost in 1st or 2nd. Up to 17 psi in 3rd. Seems normal. Not slow or lacking in power at all.

Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When you say no or minimal boost how are you driving? Dead stop then flooring it? Just cruising around town? Cruising then drop a couple gears and floor it?

OP
OP
BaseBD

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When you say no or minimal boost how are you driving? Dead stop then flooring it? Just cruising aroundtown? Cruising then drop a couple gears and floor it?
@Ground_zero298 when new and in the fall my max boost was about 19 psi and I would get 3-8 psi in 1st and 2nd just driving around normal but could get close to max if I got into it. Now I am seeing nothing in first and 2nd and can get 5-10 if I get into it.

Cruising in 5th or 6th would bounce the boost between 6-14psi depending on headwind and speed. Now 6th gear is un usable even loaded up I can't keep enough boost to use it in the low 60s. And 5th gear at cruising bounces between 0-6 psi. Last year I only saw zero if I was coasting regardless of gear. It was almost always in the boost.

It really feels like it's detuned or the turbo is not opening correctly and my normal driving boost is missing the first 7 or 8 psi and if I drive in a way that would have shown more than 7 or 8 last year, then I actually start building boost Now. I have an appointment to get it looked at Monday. I am not holding out hope but we shall see.

OP
OP
BaseBD

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Got the call from the dealer... Everything is operating normally...

jtt411

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was just looking for information on this, and found this thread. I’ve got about 509 miles on my bronco now. It seemed like us was always in some small boost PSI until recently when it’s showing 0 most of the time but when I punch it, it shows up but goes back down quick. It’s not lagging power that I can tell but the boost doesn’t seem to be engaging in the same way it did before or lasting as long similar to what the others in this thread have said. Is this common? Did the automatic learn - was this the break in period?

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Could just be the factory tuning. I know on my friend's Fiesta ST, the boost was limited in first gear. Most likely since it's a short gear and you'd just spin. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the case with the bronco, since 1st is pretty short.

Haven't done a pull in 1st gear myself, but I'm able to hit 18-20PSI in second gear easily if I peg it above 2500RPM.

Sponsored

jtt411

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Could just be the factory tuning. I know on my friend's Fiesta ST, the boost was limited in first gear. Most likely since it's a short gear and you'd just spin. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the case with the bronco, since 1st is pretty short.

Haven't done a pull in 1st gear myself, but I'm able to hit 18-20PSI in second gear easily if I peg it above 2500RPM.
Not sure. It’s just a lot different than the first 500 miles I drove where it seemed the boost psi was on a lot and it was sustaining going up in hill etc. Now it’s barely on for a split second. Very quick on off. @BaseBD did anything further ever come of your issue? Did you bring it back to the dealer for a second time? I have an appt on Monday for them to look at mine.

OP
OP
BaseBD

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have not brought it back. Need to find another dealer. I do not have any confidence in the current one. It boosts and under the right conditions I can get up to 18psi but not as much boost throughout the power band as before. The big one I notice is last year I could drive back and forth to work in 6th gear at 62 with the cruise and stay at 61 or 62 MPH. This year I slow down to 58-59 on the hills and one hill will kick me out of cruise. I am not saying It was good for it to build 13-15PSI of boost in 6th gear at 1900 RPM but it is something it will not do now.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have not brought it back. Need to find another dealer. I do not have any confidence in the current one. It boosts and under the right conditions I can get up to 18psi but not as much boost throughout the power band as before. The big one I notice is last year I could drive back and forth to work in 6th gear at 62 with the cruise and stay at 61 or 62 MPH. This year I slow down to 58-59 on the hills and one hill will kick me out of cruise. I am not saying It was good for it to build 13-15PSI of boost in 6th gear at 1900 RPM but it is something it will not do now.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Boost is a direct relation to engine load. It could be that now that the engine is broke in or past a break in period is is making more natural power. in first gear an engine will generally make sufficient power to propel the vehicle without much help from the turbo. As load increases the manifold pressure will increase to accommodate the load. earlier it was mentioned to check for animal nests in the exhaust pipe or loose hose /pipe clamps on boost lines but also remember where the boosted air comes from. The air inlet/filter may have a nest or debris restricting free air to enter the engine. Test the load by attaching a tow rope to a stationary object and pull against it. This will help to develop "load" even in first gear. Turbo charged engines don't always need to create boost. go down a steep mountain and floor in, you will not see much boost. (just kidding. don't do that.
Sponsored