Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Black Diamond (2023) - Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

To me "Staying out of boost" is just a way of saying be gentile on the vertical pedal. When it comes to gas milage that is good advice for vehicles with turbos or without.

I have spent time riding in vehicles with drivers that are on and off the gas (accelerate then coast). They do this even when cruising at a relatively constant highway speed. For improved milage use the cruse or keep the pedal pressure as constant as possible for the speed you want. On a country road with dips this may mean letting is slow a little gong up a hill and speed up going down. Not what most people want to do.

Bottom line opinion from my experience - Using a little boost here and there when driving isn't going to kill the milage or the engine life.
Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you're constantly worrying about MPG, how can it be pleasurable to drive?
I wouldn't say that I constantly worry about it, but if I can go another 20-30 miles on a tank of gas, that's what really matters to me. I don't drive like Grandpa, but I'm not NASCAR Ricky Bobby either.

There are some pretty counter-intuitive things about the Bronco that make it different than most cars: like Sport being better MPG than Eco for some people, or 5th gear better than 6th on the 7MT for those of us without the 4.7 ratio.

The usual things like use smaller tires, run higher air pressure, don't mash the gas - sure... I think we all know those things. And no one buys a Bronco expecting it to beat a Prius in MPG - but that doesn't mean we don't want to make sure we are getting the best from what we got.

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hijacking for a second

Anyone using or considering turbo blankets?

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn't say that I constantly worry about it, but if I can go another 20-30 miles on a tank of gas, that's what really matters to me. I don't drive like Grandpa, but I'm not NASCAR Ricky Bobby either.

There are some pretty counter-intuitive things about the Bronco that make it different than most cars: like Sport being better MPG than Eco for some people, or 5th gear better than 6th on the 7MT for those of us without the 4.7 ratio.

The usual things like use smaller tires, run higher air pressure, don't mash the gas - sure... I think we all know those things. And no one buys a Bronco expecting it to beat a Prius in MPG - but that doesn't mean we don't want to make sure we are getting the best from what we got.
So im not the only one who cruises in 5th in sport mode

I want mpg, Ill buy a mk4 golf tdi

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hijacking for a second

Anyone using or considering turbo blankets?
That'll probably be a sit down and eat popcorn type topic lol.

I will say that wrapping the DP and putting a blanket on one of my old rides caused a measurable increase in boost.

Probably wouldn't be the case with one of these motors though considering the computerized wastegate.

Sponsored

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That'll probably be a sit down and eat popcorn type topic lol.

I will say that wrapping the DP and putting a blanket on one of my old rides caused a measurable increase in boost.

Probably wouldn't be the case with one of these motors though considering the computerized wastegate.
true, just figured can’t hurt to ask and consider it

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here in Texas, where we have a lot of country highways, I like to go 5mph under and max out at 65mph if I can to preserve mileage.
Is this why the Texans who come to New Mexico always go 60 mph in the left lane of I-40 (which is 75 mph)?

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this why the Texans who come to New Mexico always go 60 mph in the left lane of I-40 (which is 75 mph)?
You just got the ol' timers... lol

USMCAg

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
[/QUOTE
If it helps, when my 2dr '24 BB, manual comes in, I'll go 80+ in the left lane when I go up there to visit a buddy I served in the military with. It wouldn't be a fair fight with my '16 F-150 (2.7 Eco/sport).

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If it helps, when my 2dr '24 BB, manual comes in, I'll go 80+ in the left lane when I go up there to visit a buddy I served in the military with. It wouldn't be a fair fight with my '16 F-150 (2.7 Eco/sport).
THANK YOU! Two over in the left lane doesn't cut it. In NM we speed for real.

When you come, I'll buy you guys a beer. My brother did about 10 years in the Marine Corps, so I try to look out for Marines.

Sponsored

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Keep away from headwinds,it's like a piper cub🙈

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
It simply means keep your foot out of it, easy on the gas pedal, easy acceleration, coasts to stop lights and steady speeds. Keep the RPM down, let the engine low end torque and trans do the work. Also keep to 70 MPH on the interstates. More RPM equal more boost. I have had multiple turbo cars and most have rewarded with the excellent gas mileage driving this way. I average 22.7 in my Bronco 2.7 2 door. And I amazed myself once driving a 2016 Subaru WRX with 2.0 turbo, on a highway trip and achieved a whopping 40 MPG. 2011 Mazdaspeed 3, I averaged 33.

OP
OP
tock13

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

To me "Staying out of boost" is just a way of saying be gentile on the vertical pedal. When it comes to gas milage that is good advice for vehicles with turbos or without.

I have spent time riding in vehicles with drivers that are on and off the gas (accelerate then coast). They do this even when cruising at a relatively constant highway speed. For improved milage use the cruse or keep the pedal pressure as constant as possible for the speed you want. On a country road with dips this may mean letting is slow a little gong up a hill and speed up going down. Not what most people want to do.

Bottom line opinion from my experience - Using a little boost here and there when driving isn't going to kill the milage or the engine life.
Your definitely right with the “gentle in the vertical pedal”. My partner in crime drives like Nikki Lauda in her GLK and SLK and only slightly less so in her 4dr BD SAS with a 2.3 auto. She gets between 16 and 17.5 mpg hand calculated. She had to go across the state and I drove to see what I could get MPG wise because she swears she takes it really easy in the Bronco.

Ride was twisty hilly country roads and over and back on a mountain pass. We filled up a couple times and averaged 23.3 MPG. She doesn’t have the boost gauge showing so I didn’t mess with the screen but I eased the truck up to speed from stop lights and anticipated the rises out of rolling hills and generally drove like grandpa. I said “see, you need to slow down”. She said F that, I want to have fun. 😂

But, yeah. Vertical pedal matters. I just never knew the rules around turbo boost so appreciate all the feedback.

Last edited:

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Whaaat? 0 PSI?

My friend:

Ford Bronco Turbo newbie question - mpg and boost 1702050434234

Dunning Kruger

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4D OBX 2.7L Bronco, 2015 Audi A7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Maximizing gas mileage is simple.

Drive like grandma (driving like this actually takes some discipline).

When I was breaking in the vehicle I took it easy. I was getting 21+, and sometimes 22+ (according to the on board meter).

Driving cruise at 65 keeps me well over 20, maybe close to 21. At 75, about 20. At 85 (trips to the Ga Coast from north Atlanta), about 17+.

But I didn't buy it for gas mileage, so I don't really care about it, other than just to consider the data.
Sponsored