First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wow! I wouldn’t have been the first one to try that, so thanks for letting us know it can work. Keep us updated if up you end up having any issues with it. I had wondered if it would be reasonable to carry a small trail bike around on our Joe Hauler (similar type of carrier)…

OP
OP
Flourman

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow! I wouldn’t have been the first one to try that, so thanks for letting us know it can work. Keep us updated if up you end up having any issues with it. I had wondered if it would be reasonable to carry a small trail bike around on our Joe Hauler (similar type of carrier)…
I figure 10% of towing capacity should be good.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Loaded up one of the bikes and did a trail work day. I’d say it was close to 300lbs on the hitch. Hardly noticed it was back there.

3FB87CC8-A75E-41BC-923D-90247487A715.jpeg
Probably closer to 600+ pounds at the hitch. Unless the bike and mount only weigh 150 pounds total.
The use of a hitch extender reduces the tongue weight capacity of the trailer hitch by 50 percent. So if the trailer hitch is rated for 1,000 pounds tongue weight it would be reduced to just 500 pounds tongue weight capacity when using an extension. It doesn't reduce the gross trailer weight capacity, only the tongue weight. Some extenders also have the additional restriction of flat towing only (towing a vehicle with all 4 wheels down) and cannot be used with trailers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flourman

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably closer to 600+ pounds at the hitch. Unless the bike and mount only weigh 150 pounds total.
The use of a hitch extender reduces the tongue weight capacity of the trailer hitch by 50 percent. So if the trailer hitch is rated for 1,000 pounds tongue weight it would be reduced to just 500 pounds tongue weight capacity when using an extension. It doesn't reduce the gross trailer weight capacity, only the tongue weight. Some extenders also have the additional restriction of flat towing only (towing a vehicle with all 4 wheels down) and cannot be used with trailers.
Nice C&P from etrailer. Good call out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Flourman

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks.
I forgot to tell you that your bike is rad…
It’s the wife’s bike. I needed to take her’s out to blow the cob webs out and do a little carb tuning.

Porkchp

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 tundra 2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't know about anyone else but Ford really didn't plan on these things towing anything. I still have the stock spare tire on the back and there is not enough room between the tire and the hitch. If I run a drop hitch, it's way to low for my trailer? Crappy design to say the least. I'll have to figure out a way to raise the spare tire smh

OP
OP
Flourman

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know about anyone else but Ford really didn't plan on these things towing anything. I still have the stock spare tire on the back and there is not enough room between the tire and the hitch. If I run a drop hitch, it's way to low for my trailer? Crappy design to say the least. I'll have to figure out a way to raise the spare tire smh
Pretty standard for the vehicle type. Jeeps are the same way, have to run a hitch extender to get away from the tire.

It also depends on the trailer hitch. The standard “lawnmower” trailer with a long tongue and no jack fits fine. If you’ve got a non removable jack, then it’s not a good situation. Can’t win them all.

Porkchp

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 tundra 2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ivery had mu
Pretty standard for the vehicle type. Jeeps are the same way, have to run a hitch extender to get away from the tire.

It also depends on the trailer hitch. The standard “lawnmower” trailer with a long tongue and no jack fits fine. If you’ve got a non removable jack, then it’s not a good situation. Can’t win them all.
I've had multiple Jeeps and it's never been an issue even with a 33" spare on the back. I think the ride height was higher allowing me to run a drop hitch. I guess I just have to get a ridiculously long hitch if I wanna tow my jetski with it🤷‍♂️

Sponsored
OP
OP
Flourman

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ivery had mu

I've had multiple Jeeps and it's never been an issue even with a 33" spare on the back. I think the ride height was higher allowing me to run a drop hitch. I guess I just have to get a ridiculously long hitch if I wanna tow my jetski with it🤷‍♂️
Well I guess your situation doesn’t work. You’ll figure it out or just sell your Bronco.

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Have you still have had no issues? I just picked this up for my Tacoma (I gotta get a drop because this was almost impossible to load) and plan on hauling my fe350. I think I can probably even get away with the spare still being on without an extender but we will see when the Bronco comes in (23 Wildtrak 4dr). If not I think I just won't run the spare since I plan on only using this for local riding or dual sports which is just street driving.

53002721721_5548058a3e_4k.jpg
Untitled by Michael Halat, on Flickr
53003096445_c8e6a14a9f_4k.jpg

OP
OP
Flourman

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you still have had no issues? I just picked this up for my Tacoma (I gotta get a drop because this was almost impossible to load) and plan on hauling my fe350. I think I can probably even get away with the spare still being on without an extender but we will see when the Bronco comes in (23 Wildtrak 4dr). If not I think I just won't run the spare since I plan on only using this for local riding or dual sports which is just street driving.

I’ve ran it a few times more. The bronco isn’t the dedicated hauler. That’s looks like a steep push up that ramp with a heavy bike.

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’ve ran it a few times more. The bronco isn’t the dedicated hauler. That’s looks like a steep push up that ramp with a heavy bike.
Ha yeah hence the need for the drop on this rig. This isn't the primary way for me to haul this bike, but got the hitch hauler for options.

If I am going long distances/offroad camping the bike goes like this.

52435960213_afb3196cfc_4k.jpg

Bikes about 275lbs wet. I'm just leaning towards pulling the spare I think.

What length extension were you using there?

OP
OP
Flourman

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ha yeah hence the need for the drop on this rig. This isn't the primary way for me to haul this bike, but got the hitch hauler for options.

If I am going long distances/offroad camping the bike goes like this.
Bikes about 275lbs wet. I'm just leaning towards pulling the spare I think.

What length extension were you using there?
No extension. It’s a VersaHaul hitch hauler that you can move the bike rail around on. It’s the heavy duty one that can also pull a trailer behind it as well.
Sponsored