Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hi..

i just ordered a 24 BB this past week and wanted to get ya’lls opinion on getting a rear locking differential which is $750 extra. I’m going to do some light off roading but nothing too crazy and hopefully not in places where I could get stuck. I live in NC so weather is rarely a factor. Is it still worth it to get it?

Thanks..
Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi..

i just ordered a 24 BB this past week and wanted to get ya’lls opinion on getting a rear locking differential which is $750 extra. I’m going to do some light off roading but nothing too crazy and hopefully not in places where I could get stuck. I live in NC so weather is rarely a factor. Is it still worth it to get it?

Thanks..
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. The biggest reason I went with Squatch, could not option it on a base, but then again I buried an F250 with locking rear trying to get up my road in winter, so I need it...

OP
OP

mzman

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm sorry..what's the advantage of having 4.27 gears?

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hi..

Thanks..
Absolutely. I have it on my OBX along with the Advanced Transfer Case. Makes the car better in sand & rocks, increases value, reduces chances of getting stuck. Push a button to turn it on, or its automatic in Mud&Ruts and Sand modes. The upgrade changes the 3.73 gearing to 4.27 axles, giving you more torque, while losing about 1 mpg. As others have said, it helps make the car more capable of running larger tires.

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm sorry..what's the advantage of having 4.27 gears?
Compare the models. The larger the tire, the lower the axle gear ratio should be. This is to prevent strain on the drivetrain. Like when bike riding, you go to a lower gear to go uphill . . . The pedals turn faster the more strain you put on it. From high to low:
Stock BB & OBX = 3.73 axles (32" tires)
Locker Upgrade BB & OBX = 4.27 axles
Black Diamond = 4.46
Badlands non-SAS with 33" tires= 4.46 axles
Sasquatch = 4.7 ratio, 35" tires

Last edited:

Heelabaloo

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester, Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Another vote for it here. You can add it later but it’s easier and the price is fair to have the factory install it. I added it to my OBX for the same reasons others have mentioned. Did not feel I needed the SAS package to get the front locker too since it’s doubtful that I’d do enough heavy off-roading to justify a front locker and a rear locker is much more likely to be used.

OP
OP

mzman

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Another vote for it here. You can add it later but it’s easier and the price is fair to have the factory install it. I added it to my OBX for the same reasons others have mentioned. Did not feel I needed the SAS package to get the front locker too since it’s doubtful that I’d do enough heavy off-roading to justify a front locker and a rear locker is much more likely to be used.

Have you used yours yet?

OP
OP

mzman

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Have you used your locker yet?

Heelabaloo

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester, Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Only once. We have some land in NC and I played around with it there but I’ve only had the truck for about 5 months and I’ve not been wheeling it. Been planning to do a bit more off road and also take down it to the Outer Banks for some beach time, so it will get some use. Nevertheless, for $750 I’d rather have it than not. Also got the towing package and used it only once as well. It was handy to have and feel I’m set if I want to get teardrop camper in the future.

Sponsored
OP
OP

mzman

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’m assuming you can always add the towing package because it’s now a dealer installed option..so i’m gonna get it just not at first

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It will be the best $750 you spend on your Bronco.....other then the better $600 you'll spend on the tow package.

The 4.27s are much better, you'll be surprised how handy the locker will prove and even if you don't plan on towing , get the package, you'll end up using it or recouping in resale.

bronco_billy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hi..

Thanks..
Don’t hesitate on this, get it factory installed. I have a non-SAS BB. I don’t do any wheeling, but I tow a camper. I got the locker “just in case.” Well I’m glad I had it added as I have needed it on several occasions. Better to have it and not use it, then don’t have it and need it! Cheers!

OP
OP

mzman

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

is there a switch to turn it on? where is it located?

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Compare the models. The larger the tire, the lower the axle gear ratio should be. This is to prevent strain on the drivetrain. Like when bike riding, you go to a lower gear to go uphill . . . The pedals turn faster the more strain you put on it. From high to low:
Stock BB & OBX = 3.73 axles (32" tires)
Locker & Black Diamond = 4.27 axles
Badlands non-SAS with 33" tires= 4.46 axles
Sasquatch = 4.7 ratio, 35" tires
Almost, Black Diamond has 4.46.
Sponsored