Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

is there a switch to turn it on? where is it located?
Upper center of dash, they're called hero switches, flashers, traction control, trail turn assist, locker(s) and/ or sway bar disconnect

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Get it. A Bronco with an open dif is just a mall crawler. Not sure if the BB has LSD.

Lockers can come in handy on surprisingly pedestrian looking trails, particularly when there is sand, mud, or loose dirt involved.

M Redwood

Big Bend
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BB,BASE
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
i can't believe you wouldn't get it ..and for price with gears and a factory warranty its a no brainer..resale alone will sell it higher and quicker than without....i traveled to another state to get a bb with locker as they are so uncommon...will cost ya 3 to 4k to upgrade later...mud and snow will really make it useful and that comes without any serious off-roading...

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Have you used yours yet?
On 6g it's not so much about actually using these functionalities, rather it's how they "make you feel". Or so I've been told several times, lol.

Probably you will waste $750 on something you'll hardly if ever get much use out of. That said, I'd get the rear locker anyway for the steeper diff gears and the ability to lock in some rare scenario.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Get it for the gearing alone, even if you never use the locker.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Absolutely. I have it on my OBX along with the Advanced Transfer Case. Makes the car better in sand & rocks, increases value, reduces chances of getting stuck. Push a button to turn it on, or its automatic in Mud&Ruts and Sand modes. The upgrade changes the 3.73 gearing to 4.27 axles, giving you more torque, while losing about 1 mpg. As others have said, it helps make the car more capable of running larger tires.
It doesn't lose 1 mpg, it's not enough of a difference... It's all bad aero for the mpg in the Bronco.

OP
OP

mzman

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Would you or someone please explain why the gearing is so important? Is it because of the size wheels and if I decide to get larger one's going forward? I'm new to all of this.

Sponsored

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi..

i just ordered a 24 BB this past week and wanted to get ya’lls opinion on getting a rear locking differential which is $750 extra. I’m going to do some light off roading but nothing too crazy and hopefully not in places where I could get stuck. I live in NC so weather is rarely a factor. Is it still worth it to get it?

Thanks..
Worth every cent. I optioned the $795 rear locker on my OBX and it’s been great to have for light off-roading. Plough through the softest sand for surf fishing with no problem.

The 4.27 gearing is also worth it if you get the itch to upgrade to 33’s or 35’s down the road. A lot of guys with BB and OBX opt for a bigger replacement set of tires.

Sas is the ripoff if you don’t need it. Locker alone is so cheap and useful it’s a must have IMO.

a.smith

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Would you or someone please explain why the gearing is so important? Is it because of the size wheels and if I decide to get larger one's going forward? I'm new to all of this.
Basically yes. Lower gearing (higher number) means there is more torque to the wheels at the axle. That allows you to turn a larger tire effectively. The tire is a lever with a length equal to its radius. The larger the tire, the less mechanical advantage it has in converting the twisting force of the axle to a linear force on the road allowing you to accelerate. A lower gear ratio compensates for that. The flip side is the lower the gearing the faster the engine spins for your road speed. At some point the engine RPM at highway speed would become unreasonable.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Basically yes. Lower gearing (higher number) means there is more torque to the wheels at the axle. That allows you to turn a larger tire effectively. The tire is a lever with a length equal to its radius. The larger the tire, the less mechanical advantage it has in converting the twisting force of the axle to a linear force on the road allowing you to accelerate. A lower gear ratio compensates for that. The flip side is the lower the gearing the faster the engine spins for your road speed. At some point the engine RPM at highway speed would become unreasonable.
...but the Bronco's 10 spd has three overdrives and will not over rev even with a smallish tire.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have you used your locker yet?
I drive on various beaches from Florida to the Outer Banks 20-30 days a year, so I've used the rear locker 20-30 days a year for the last two years.

a.smith

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
...but the Bronco's 10 spd has three overdrives and will not over rev even with a smallish tire.
I think the lowest would be a Badlands with a 4.7 and 33" tires at about 65mph at 2000rpm. Opposite would be a 3.73 axle with 32" tires at about 80mph at 2000rpm. What's too much? Not sure.
Sponsored