Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think the lowest would be a Badlands with a 4.7 and 33" tires at about 65mph at 2000rpm. Opposite would be a 3.73 axle with 32" tires at about 80mph at 2000rpm. What's too much? Not sure.
So the OPs. BB with 4.27s would wrap about 2200 at 80, quite acceptable.
Sponsored

a.smith

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The 3.73 with 32" tires seems to be kinda an outlier. It's geared a lot higher than most other trims / specs.

uknowhim21

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Lexus GX 470, 2024 Bronco Ordered
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
10/13/23 I ordered a Big Bend with the 7mt and I kept adding the locking rear diff (was showing as $0), but it wasn't showing up on the final build sheet the dealer provided. The dealership spoke to their external Ford rep who said it wasn't available to add unless you went SAS. Not sure if it's because I ordered the manual or not, they didn't clarify. Was bummed.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think the lowest would be a Badlands with a 4.7 and 33" tires at about 65mph at 2000rpm. Opposite would be a 3.73 axle with 32" tires at about 80mph at 2000rpm. What's too much? Not sure.
The ones I worry about are the OBX owners with 3.73 axles who install 35" tires. I wonder if there will be drivetrain issues down the road for them?

Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do 95% of my off road driving in rough terrain (Big Bend Area) only using 2H with intermittent use of the rear locker. I use 4L when I need low speed control, or I want to minimize trail or tire damage.

Get the rear locker.

cashe3

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have an OBX and wrnt with the rear locker. I hadn't offroaded in 30 years before I picked up my Bronco so I was relearning most things myself. Here are a couple of points for getting the locker. Also I off raod 6-8 times a year and mall crawl the rest.
1- on a 2WD Bronco you have power going to one point of contact. The rear wheel with least resistance.
2- in 4WD you have power going to two points of contact. The front and rear wheel with the least resistance. This will get you out of most dicey situations.
3- with the rear locker you now have 3 points of contact with power and that really makes a difference in those 1% cases.
4- the lower gearing with the rear locker, I won't say required, but will really cut down on the wear and tear on your drivetrain if you ever decide to get bigger tires.

For me it was worth getting the rear locker $750 on a $50K vehicle is a small cost for what it provides. I put 34" inch tires on and do hit the moderately challenging off road spots.

If you plan to asphalt drive 100%, keep 32" street grade tires then skip the locker.

If you ever want to go on anything more challenging than a Forest service road or plan to upsize your tires then spend the money now and get the locker.

I consider it the best option I added even if it is used less than 1% of the time.

Lujess

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner, 2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
10/13/23 I ordered a Big Bend with the 7mt and I kept adding the locking rear diff (was showing as $0), but it wasn't showing up on the final build sheet the dealer provided. The dealership spoke to their external Ford rep who said it wasn't available to add unless you went SAS. Not sure if it's because I ordered the manual or not, they didn't clarify. Was bummed.
FWIW - I just ordered a 2024 manual 2-door non-SAS Big Bend last week with manual and rear locker. It forces a 4.46, but manual + rear locker is definitely possible without SAS. Not sure if 4-door affects this.

Equipment group 222A is the mid-package

I had some back-and-forth with the dealer, since the Ford build site shows a $0 charge when adding the locker......but discussions with Ford rep resulted in a $495 charge. Definitely worth it IMHO.

Here is a partial screen shot of the order/build sheet I signed....

Chris
Ford Bronco Ordering a locking differential on a Big Bend Build sheet snip.JPG

Last edited:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have an OBX and wrnt with the rear locker. I hadn't offroaded in 30 years before I picked up my Bronco so I was relearning most things myself. Here are a couple of points for getting the locker. Also I off raod 6-8 times a year and mall crawl the rest.
1- on a 2WD Bronco you have power going to one point of contact. The rear wheel with least resistance.
2- in 4WD you have power going to two points of contact. The front and rear wheel with the least resistance. This will get you out of most dicey situations.
3- with the rear locker you now have 3 points of contact with power and that really makes a difference in those 1% cases.
4- the lower gearing with the rear locker, I won't say required, but will really cut down on the wear and tear on your drivetrain if you ever decide to get bigger tires.

For me it was worth getting the rear locker $750 on a $50K vehicle is a small cost for what it provides. I put 34" inch tires on and do hit the moderately challenging off road spots.

If you plan to asphalt drive 100%, keep 32" street grade tires then skip the locker.

If you ever want to go on anything more challenging than a Forest service road or plan to upsize your tires then spend the money now and get the locker.

I consider it the best option I added even if it is used less than 1% of the time.
Functionally though, if you are keeping all tires on the ground with decent traction, then you have power going to both rear tire points of contact in 2WD, and 4 tires in 4WD. (And that's not counting the brake actuated "locking" on every Bronco).

On easy/medium difficult trails, unless the driver is low skilled picking lines or the vehicle articulation stinks, the tires should not be spending a lot of time in the air. Leastways back in the day before the current manufacturer arms race, I recall only one guy in my Series Land Rover group had a locker, and that didn't stop the rest of us from off-roading all around Colorado.

uknowhim21

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Lexus GX 470, 2024 Bronco Ordered
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
FWIW - I just ordered a 2024 manual 2-door non-SAS Big Bend last week with manual and rear locker. It forces a 4.46, but manual + rear locker is definitely possible without SAS. Not sure if 4-door affects this.

Equipment group 222A is the mid-package

I had some back-and-forth with the dealer, since the Ford build site shows a $0 charge when adding the locker......but discussions with Ford rep resulted in a $495 charge. Definitely worth it IMHO.

Here is a partial screen shot of the order/build sheet I signed....

Chris
Ford Bronco Ordering a locking differential on a Big Bend Build sheet snip.JPG
Wow I’m going to send this to the dealer. You went through the same process as me, but different result haha. It’s the same build as mine, but the two door. Thanks for the reply!

Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Definitely option it. It was the one of two things I left off mine(forgot to check the box and when my build was previewing panicked about adding it, color was more important haha) and while I have never needed it, still wish I had it. I've been offroading a few times and never been in a situation where a locker would have helped or made anything easier, but I still wish I had it.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is a fantastic summary for OP. Locker will guarantee power to 3 wheels. Hopefully some of them have traction 😉

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350/2024 Bronco Big Bend (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I ordered mine about a month ago without the locker.. then spoke to several people on the forum and a friend who off roads his Four Runner and they all said I should have it.
I added the rear locker and change the color. No regrets based upon all the research i've done so far.

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hi..

i just ordered a 24 BB this past week and wanted to get ya’lls opinion on getting a rear locking differential which is $750 extra. I’m going to do some light off roading but nothing too crazy and hopefully not in places where I could get stuck. I live in NC so weather is rarely a factor. Is it still worth it to get it?

Thanks..
Ford Bronco Ordering a locking differential on a Big Bend 044B4DE5-816B-4024-B3C6-B659A58DF5CF

Born2Drive

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi..

i just ordered a 24 BB this past week and wanted to get ya’lls opinion on getting a rear locking differential which is $750 extra. I’m going to do some light off roading but nothing too crazy and hopefully not in places where I could get stuck. I live in NC so weather is rarely a factor. Is it still worth it to get it?

Thanks..
For $750, it is well worth it. You will be happy you have one. I went to that Bronco Off-Roadeo out in Moab. Easily the most used Hero Button we used.
Sponsored