Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a soft top and would really like to have a rooftop tent. While some companies make roof racks for soft tops, all of the ones I have found lose the functionality of the soft top. The back "wings" get in the way of the folding parts even if you were to take the actual rack off the roof. If anyone has any cool ideas would love to hear some for a soft-top overland vehicle. Maybe a cool interior bed situation by taking the back seats out?
Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Raket has a solution, but the rear towers prevent folding to the fully collapse position unless you remove the top support. I have this solution, and I roll around with the roof rack removed and flip my top back to position 1 daily. I've found the front mount to create quite a lot of noise but Derick from Raket is working with me to figure out the source, very proactive support. For now I can remove the rack/basket in about 5 minutes, and in another 5 minutes remove the front support. So I'd rather just roll around with that, perhaps that would bother me more if I had a bunch of lights mounted to it.

JCR Off-road has a solution, but I don't like that it has supports that go between the top canvas and the side windows. I don't think solution supports putting your top down at all.

GOBI's solution seems to be the most comprehensive, but putting your top back seems to be a real chore.

There was one other, maybe ZROADZ? Whatever it was, it doesn't support putting the top down at all.

OP
OP

JJpanther

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Raket has a solution, but the rear towers prevent folding to the fully collapse position unless you remove the top support. I have this solution, and I roll around with the roof rack removed and flip my top back to position 1 daily. I've found the front mount to create quite a lot of noise but Derick from Raket is working with me to figure out the source, very proactive support. For now I can remove the rack/basket in about 5 minutes, and in another 5 minutes remove the front support. So I'd rather just roll around with that, perhaps that would bother me more if I had a bunch of lights mounted to it.

JCR Off-road has a solution, but I don't like that it has supports that go between the top canvas and the side windows. I don't think solution supports putting your top down at all.

GOBI's solution seems to be the most comprehensive, but putting your top back seems to be a real chore.

There was one other, maybe ZROADZ? Whatever it was, it doesn't support putting the top down at all.
The Raket one looks sweet! unfortunately looks like those wing-type supports would stop me from putting the soft top into the far back position. Taking the GOBI one down to pull the top back is defiantly more work than preferred but I would love to have full functionality.

LanceIto

Raptor
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Have you looked at the Barricade HD rack? You can remove the crossbars and have soft top retractibility.

Also the Bronco hammock looks pretty cool!!!

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you looked at the Barricade HD rack? You can remove the crossbars and have soft top retractibility.

While not the most beautiful work of art, it seems quite more functional to access the top movement than the others.
Glad you posted it up as I was unaware of it until just now.
Looks like it would get the job done to support a few things, still let you go open-top with a few quick knobs.

OP
OP

JJpanther

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

WoW the hammock is sick!!! Is that your Bronco as your profile pic? If so what's your setup with the rooftop tent? Is it the Barricade HD that you mentioned?

LanceIto

Raptor
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

While not the most beautiful work of art, it seems quite more functional to access the top movement than the others.
Glad you posted it up as I was unaware of it until just now.
Looks like it would get the job done to support a few things, still let you go open-top with a few quick knobs.
IMG_8001.jpeg

IMG_8016.jpeg

IMG_8015.jpeg

LanceIto

Raptor
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I felt the same way about the looks but once I got the RTT and awning on and used it I have been super happy with it looks and functionality.

LanceIto

Raptor
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

WoW the hammock is sick!!! Is that your Bronco as your profile pic? If so what's your setup with the rooftop tent? Is it the Barricade HD that you mentioned?
Barricade HD rack, Tepui Autana RTT, and OVS Nomad 180 awning

Sponsored
OP
OP

JJpanther

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Your setup looks great! I'm curious, if you wanted to go cruise around with the top down how long would it take you to take everything off to be able to do that? Do you wish you got the gobi or are you content?

LanceIto

Raptor
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have never been a top off guy. Hahahahaha!! But seriously I prefer safari mode with all soft top windows off, doors off with canopy still on.

It would be quick to remove the crossbars to open the top but with the weight of the tent I would need another human to help lift it off. If I had a higher ceiling in the garage it could be hoisted off and stored with ease.

I sometimes think about the gobi but with the cost savings i just bought an OME heavy suspension!!!!

OP
OP

JJpanther

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for showing me your setup, almost exactly what I had vision for mine!

bstottlemyer85

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands - NonSas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the @GOBI Racks , doesn't take much to lift up and put back down. You can't lifted it loaded with RTT on top. I don't have an RTT tent yet, but I am looking at them when the time comes. I have used to haul lumber and other stuff with it. With the soft top, it all isn't to convent, but allows the use of a rack and be able to too put soft top back.
Ford Bronco Overland Soft Top suggestions? IMG_4645
Ford Bronco Overland Soft Top suggestions? IMG_4446
Ford Bronco Overland Soft Top suggestions? IMG_4447

Ford Bronco Overland Soft Top suggestions? IMG_4122

Not my set up, but one I seen at Bronco Super Celebration East:
Ford Bronco Overland Soft Top suggestions? IMG_3600

Ford Bronco Overland Soft Top suggestions? IMG_3598

OP
OP

JJpanther

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

WOW that looks really good. Thanks for all the great pictures and the video. How long did it take from when you ordered until you got it?
Sponsored