Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It would be nice to have a new approach to offroad paint/coatings that is more resistant to desert pinstriping, chipping etc. I see a lot of older offroad vehicles spraying on heavy polyurethane/ plastic dip/ wraps etc. What other options might Ford consider?

A nice matte olive drab would be cool especially if we could easily touch it up. Heck, the body panels are going to be aluminum - maybe some sort of hard matte anodizing?
Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bedliner instead of / over the paint seems like the only thing durable enough to really hold up to that for very long.

Depending on how hard you go, that won't even be enough.

Last edited:

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm curious about that plastidip. Apparently it's come a long ways in recent years. Anybody here have experience with it? Anybody run that stuff through bushes and branches to see how it holds up to scratches?

OP
OP
paxfish

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm curious about that plastidip. Apparently it's come a long ways in recent years. Anybody here have experience with it? Anybody run that stuff through bushes and branches to see how it holds up to scratches?
Not real durable - It'll scratch off with your fingernail. People use it though and respray frequently.

Last edited:

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not real druable - It'll scratch off with your fingernail. People use it though and respray frequently.
Yeah I plastidipped the panels on a dirt bike once. It does protect what's underneath but it's more like a sacrificial layer. You have to keep redoing it every so often.

Anyone tried any of the fancy ceramic coatings that are on the market now? Some of the demos look pretty impressive with them taking keys to the paint and it being fine after, but I don't know how much of that is just marketing. Most people I know that have done it have it on their sports cars just to stop rock chips, but it seems to work well for that.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone tried any of the fancy ceramic coatings that are on the market now? Some of the demos look pretty impressive with them taking keys to the paint and it being fine after, but I don't know how much of that is just marketing. Most people I know that have done it have it on their sports cars just to stop rock chips, but it seems to work well for that.
No personal experience, but anything that thin isn't likely to hold up to big debris or scrapes.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No personal experience, but anything that thin isn't likely to hold up to big debris or scrapes.
it does pretty well, it may be thing, but is very hard.

I would also suggest considering a clear vinyl wrap, those do a very good job of protecting as well, and are for the most part self healing after scrapes and such.

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
it does pretty well, it may be thing, but is very hard.

I would also suggest considering a clear vinyl wrap, those do a very good job of protecting as well, and are for the most part self healing after scrapes and such.
HIGHLY recommend clear vinyl. if it gets beat up and ugly, its a lot easier to replace it than it is to repaint. Not only that, but that thin layer helps prevent small dings too. It deadens the blow of small impacts.
Sponsored