First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala, Buick Enclave, '77 Suzuki GS750
Your Bronco Model
Base
Paint, powder coat, or something else altogether?

My thought was to take the ring off the stock squatch wheel and change the color to gold. I would leave the bead lock ring black.

Pic for reference:
Ford Bronco Paint or powder coating on wheels 20180722_184850

I'll be going with Rapid Red, so the effect would be very similar.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Sponsored

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I like your vision. Gold may not be the choice for me, but with the picture you have provided I can visualize it.
My thoughts were the opposite. Leave the wheel black but powder coat/paint the ring maybe body color.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think tjat is more of a bronze but yes. If I go diamondmansquatch I have been thinking about stripping and clear coating or some color. I have American Racing Torq Thrust II's on the mustang that are polished alum...i hate it as the maintenance is horrible and want to clear or coat them badly. The 17 escape ww have has black rims and not sure i want both newer cars with black rims.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Think it depends on it's purpose, will it stay on road or off?

Charky

Wildtrak
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Painting may allow for easier touch-up repair when needed. I've read where that's the reason for painting rock rails/sliders rather than powder coat.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tre

Tre

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think tjat is more of a bronze but yes. If I go diamondmansquatch I have been thinking about stripping and clear coating or some color. I have American Racing Torq Thrust II's on the mustang that are polished alum...i hate it as the maintenance is horrible and want to clear or coat them badly. The 17 escape ww have has black rims and not sure i want both newer cars with black rims.
Yeah, bronze more than gold. Definitely a muted color. Polished aluminum looks great on the right car, but I've fought with that upkeep in the past too...

Think it depends on it's purpose, will it stay on road or off?
I will definitely be taking off road, but better than 80% will be to work and back.

Painting may allow for easier touch-up repair when needed. I've read where that's the reason for painting rock rails/sliders rather than powder coat.
That's a really good point. Paint would be easier to touch up. I wonder about the hardness difference between the two coatings.

broncoskip

Outer Banks
First Name
Broncoskip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Two sets of wheels and tires. Steel wheels with sloppy tires for offroad, whatever it comes with for daily driving. Them offroad tires are going to be expensive, and bad enough they are going to risk getting blown out, but why wear them down with daily driving?

Paint won't matter, they gonna be dirty.

Reactions: Tre
OP
OP
Tre

Tre

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Two sets of wheels and tires. Steel wheels with sloppy tires for offroad, whatever it comes with for daily driving. Them offroad tires are going to be expensive, and bad enough they are going to risk getting blown out, but why wear them down with daily driving?

Paint won't matter, they gonna be dirty.
You're not wrong. I'm probably gonna get a set of ATs to throw on it when I'm going back and forth to work.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Yeah, bronze more than gold. Definitely a muted color. Polished aluminum looks great on the right car, but I've fought with that upkeep in the past too...

I will definitely be taking off road, but better than 80% will be to work and back.

That's a really good point. Paint would be easier to touch up. I wonder about the hardness difference between the two coatings.
Paint is easier to scratch but PC will chip and scratch, I'm not an off-roader but if you're going to be in the rocks and woods I'd go with something you could just touch up with a rattle can if it gets too unpresentable. The idea about 2 sets of wheels is probably a good one, look at what others are doing on the trails to help make your decision as well.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will be looking for take off BD steels, heck I already have 2 sets of rims for the mustang and that is down from 3...what is another set at this point lol.

I have been thinking about plasti-dip on the mustang rims to play around with what I want to do. With the good point of scratching and whatnot not a bad idea on the Bronco either.

Sponsored

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you are considering powdercoat, also consider the pc needs to be baked and cured at 400*F..... you may need to strip existing finishes and certainly must remove the tires!
Either paint or powdercoat will require proper prep, which could range from scuffing the existing to fully stripping it.
Plasti Dip is a different animal, it's not considered a permanent finish.

OP
OP
Tre

Tre

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you are considering powdercoat, also consider the pc needs to be baked and cured at 400*F..... you may need to strip existing finishes and certainly must remove the tires!
Either paint or powdercoat will require proper prep, which could range from scuffing the existing to fully stripping it.
Plasti Dip is a different animal, it's not considered a permanent finish.
There is a shop around the corner from my house that does p.c., if I went that route, I would take the fires off and have them do the work. Paint is sounding a lot like easier route, but I'm worried about the final product coming out of a rattle can.

Paint is easier to scratch but PC will chip and scratch, I'm not an off-roader but if you're going to be in the rocks and woods I'd go with something you could just touch up with a rattle can if it gets too unpresentable. The idea about 2 sets of wheels is probably a good one, look at what others are doing on the trails to help make your decision as well.
Neither am I... Yet? I like the idea of having 2 sets of wheels, but the space to store them, and frankly the expense of maintaining two sets may be two steep to be viable. A can of Krylon is a lot easier to carry around for sure...

Last edited:

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There is a shop around the corner from my house that does p.c., if I went that route, I would take the fires off and have them do the work. Paint is sounding a lot like easier route, but I'm worried about the final product coming out of a rattle can.
You could paint using a spray gun and use a modern paint such as a urethane. It's durable stuff. Wheel could be easily prepped by degreasing and thoroughly scrubbing with a Scotch Brite pad to ensure adhesion.
Sponsored