Sponsored

Paint/Rust Concern- Exposed bolt holes after switching rock rails w running boards

Mu5tachi0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Kids were having issues getting in so ordered the OEM runners from my Ford dealer. Because the rock rails were in the painted holes and then removed, it is now flaking off in some areas and bare metal is exposed. Also feel like it looks like it should have a trim piece there but Outerbanks seem to be the same. Suggestions until there is an aftermarket option? Def want to do something to protect it before salt hits the road.
Ford Bronco Paint/Rust Concern- Exposed bolt holes after switching rock rails w running boards CFCCE436-4E87-43D5-896F-1A56DEA41DF4
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you’re talking about the pinch weld seam on the bottom of the tub, why not hit it with some spray lacquer? It’s not as durable as the factory clear coat, and that’s a positive. You can remove it later if need be without damaging your top coat. Sure, the paint will still be chipped and visible, but the metal will be protected.

Wear a ventilator or do it outside. Nasty stuff to breathe.

Also a super cheap fix. Home Depot will sell Deft lacquer in a spray can for $5 and it’s quality stuff.

Don’t forget to mask off any place you don’t want clear coat.

RednWhite89

Badlands
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Kids were having issues getting in so ordered the OEM runners from my Ford dealer. Because the rock rails were in the painted holes and then removed, it is now flaking off in some areas and bare metal is exposed. Also feel like it looks like it should have a trim piece there but Outerbanks seem to be the same. Suggestions until there is an aftermarket option? Def want to do something to protect it before salt hits the road.
CFCCE436-4E87-43D5-896F-1A56DEA41DF4.jpeg
Damn, I'd like to see a close up pic, but it almost looks like they put the rails on while the paint was still wet. I've dealt with this on equipment I sell with shrink wrapping applied before the paint had cured. Before any DIY solution, I'd take it to the dealer and see if there is any warranty remedy. Taking off bolt-on rails shouldn't damage the paint.

AceGoliath

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco OBX SAS , 22 Maverick XLT, 10 Fusion SE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

CFCCE436-4E87-43D5-896F-1A56DEA41DF4.jpeg
There are some official Ford black trim “trail armor” that fits over them, but kind of pricey or I know Jeep owners typically tend to paint over them in black.

https://accessories.ford.com/plate-door-scuff-vm2dz-1613208-a.html#2021/Bronco

Ford Bronco Paint/Rust Concern- Exposed bolt holes after switching rock rails w running boards 93759331-D498-4840-A553-A7EB9CF5FA99

Sponsored

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why don’t you spray with a flat black. The whole pinch weld. It will cover paint chips and you won’t see it. Kill two birds.

post 5 above is a better idea. But just touch up the chipped paint.

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity on Ford's end, any chance there's an Aftermarket combo rock rail with a step that could use the same mounting holes as were on the rock rail?

OP
OP

Mu5tachi0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why don’t you spray with a flat black. The whole pinch weld. It will cover paint chips and you won’t see it. Kill two birds.

post 5 above is a better idea. But just touch up the chipped paint.
The point is is just bought a new vehicle and had the dealer install a factory part. I shouldn’t have to paint my new car.

B46CFC2F-A05A-493D-BEB7-A60022307EBE.jpeg

joeramirez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would love to have your problem but I don’t even have mine yet until 2022!

Sponsored

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

What on earth are you going to do if you get a scratch or dent on a door?

CWO4

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The point is is just bought a new vehicle and had the dealer install a factory part. I shouldn’t have to paint my new car.

B46CFC2F-A05A-493D-BEB7-A60022307EBE.jpeg
When you remove a manufactures part that covers an area you will typically find stuff like this. On my $70,000.00 bass boat I removed the manufactures console to install an aftermarket mount, the recessed area looked like a blind monkey cut it out. Adapt and over come, the Bronco is not the only vehicle where you will find this kind of stuff.

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco Paint/Rust Concern- Exposed bolt holes after switching rock rails w running boards B46CFC2F-A05A-493D-BEB7-A60022307EBE
Better solution.... get rid of the kids!!!

JK, i have a 2 yr old and a 10 year old. I get it.

Bronco Don

Black Diamond
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

See if the Rockrails will go back on with your steps at the same time looks like room to me.
Sponsored