Sponsored

Please help me with RockSlide Engineering Step Sliders!

kingsingh14

Badlands
First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco BL SAS LUX 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i recently was gifted a set of used rock slide engineering step sliders from a family friend who traded their bronco in. Upon picking them up I purchased some new magnets and door sensors, along with other miscellaneous nuts and bolts that the dealer had lost upon removal of the steps from his bronco.

Today, I was able to start the installation of the steps to my own bronco. The wiring and mounting of the drivers side step went as expected, taking time to line up the pinch welds and ensuring brackets were lined up with their holes.

upon moving to mount the passenger steps, I ran into some trouble. I have quadruple checked that all of the brackets are in the correct spot, made sure to loosen all of the bracket hardware to aide in sliding in the step to the pinch welds, and used a jack to lift the step into place. However, no matter what I do, it seemes the step refuses to sit into place. Iā€™ve scratched the hell out of the pinch weld paint trying over and over again.

Iā€™m thinking one of the brackets must be bent or broken, because thereā€™s no way that it shouldnā€™t slide in after this many attempts. So I might have to call RSE to order some new brackets I guess.

Does anyone thatā€™s installed these steps have any advice? Anyone run into any similar trouble? If it isnā€™t broken brackets, should I call my local customs shop? I feel terrible doing that considering I was able to finish off all of the door sensors, wiring, and drivers side step. Any help/advice would be appreciated!!
Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would probably remove the brackets, mount steps to pinch seam (loose), then add the brackets. Maybe then you can tell if one if one is bent or something.
I had to add a spacer washer on one of the side middle mounts (between mount and body) for correct fit.
Good luck!

OP
OP
kingsingh14

kingsingh14

Badlands
First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gotcha. Itā€™s almost like the brackets are too long. because by the time I jack up the step to where the studs can get through the pinch weld, the brackets are already pushed up against the step, resulting in me being able to push the studs through the pinch welds

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

having recently dropped one of mine for a motor swap,
i'd loosen all the bracket bolts especially the ones going into the body at an angle.

also, i'd check the brackets at the forward and rear body bolts are
slid inboard enough for the step bolts to get to the pinch weld

funny thing, after replacing the motor, we found the reason the step
wasn't fully deploying in cold weather was the missing E-clip on the rear pivot point.

(if we had caught that first, the repair would have been 30 seconds instead of a couple hours to drop the step, swap the motor, and reinstall)

Billy Goat

Wildtrak
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Velociraptor 400
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My install was about the same. Exception being I pre-installed the Bushwacker #14046 rocker panel /door sill covers for an extra layer of protection and added support. That made things even tighter. That said, drivers side was a breeze. passenger side had it hanging from the pinch welds sliding it into place on the body mounts. tapping with a rubber hammer and trying to figure out witch bolt to stab next in it's own derived torque like sequence with some being only capable of a single spin of the thread to get started before moving to the next.
Second time around was much faster knowing what I was facing as I needed to replace a Dead in the water motor.
I also had to add another strip of sticky back tape to the door magnet to get it closer to the contact. On bumpy roads it would sometimes deploy but that issue is just fit & finish from the Factory.

Sponsored
OP
OP
kingsingh14

kingsingh14

Badlands
First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My install was about the same. Exception being I pre-installed the Bushwacker #14046 rocker panel /door sill covers for an extra layer of protection and added support. That made things even tighter. That said, drivers side was a breeze. passenger side had it hanging from the pinch welds sliding it into place on the body mounts. tapping with a rubber hammer and trying to figure out witch bolt to stab next in it's own derived torque like sequence with some being only capable of a single spin of the thread to get started before moving to the next.
Second time around was much faster knowing what I was facing as I needed to replace a Dead in the water motor.
I also had to add another strip of sticky back tape to the door magnet to get it closer to the contact. On bumpy roads it would sometimes deploy but that issue is just fit & finish from the Factory.
Gotcha, that make me feel better that itā€™s not a bent bracket. I think Iā€™m going to try @rtaylor ā€™s suggestion to remove the brackets completely and then slide them back in once the slider is sitting on the pinch welds when I get back from vacation.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

i recently was gifted a set of used rock slide engineering step sliders from a family friend who traded their bronco in. Upon picking them up I purchased some new magnets and door sensors, along with other miscellaneous nuts and bolts that the dealer had lost upon removal of the steps from his bronco.

Today, I was able to start the installation of the steps to my own bronco. The wiring and mounting of the drivers side step went as expected, taking time to line up the pinch welds and ensuring brackets were lined up with their holes.

upon moving to mount the passenger steps, I ran into some trouble. I have quadruple checked that all of the brackets are in the correct spot, made sure to loosen all of the bracket hardware to aide in sliding in the step to the pinch welds, and used a jack to lift the step into place. However, no matter what I do, it seemes the step refuses to sit into place. Iā€™ve scratched the hell out of the pinch weld paint trying over and over again.

Iā€™m thinking one of the brackets must be bent or broken, because thereā€™s no way that it shouldnā€™t slide in after this many attempts. So I might have to call RSE to order some new brackets I guess.

Does anyone thatā€™s installed these steps have any advice? Anyone run into any similar trouble? If it isnā€™t broken brackets, should I call my local customs shop? I feel terrible doing that considering I was able to finish off all of the door sensors, wiring, and drivers side step. Any help/advice would be appreciated!!
If I remember correctly I did not remove the brackets but loosened them up so that there was some play between the step and the bracket as I tried to align with the body mounts. It is very tight. That is actually a benefit once they are installed.... They are challenging to get in there though.

OP
OP
kingsingh14

kingsingh14

Badlands
First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I remember correctly I did not remove the brackets but loosened them up so that there was some play between the step and the bracket as I tried to align with the body mounts. It is very tight. That is actually a benefit once they are installed.... They are challenging to get in there though.
Iā€™ve loosened them as much as possible to no avail. With the brackets in, the studs just donā€™t seem to get through the pinch welds. I was able to do the drivers side with no issues using a jack to balance the slider into the holes, so it confuses me as to why I canā€™t get this passenger side to slide on in. Iā€™ve tried close to 30 times to get it to fitšŸ˜¢

was your drivers side easy to install too?

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You have pics of what won't line up or is hitting? Are you sure you installed the brackets in the right locations? If I remember correctly, the brackets are not all the same size and mount in a specific location.

Reactions: law

Billy Goat

Wildtrak
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You get an extra set of brackets for a 4-door that are doubles . If I recall, the ones up front close to the body mount are an oddball. All my brackets I installed one at a time. I learned to get them all up in there resting before initiating the first attempt to find which screw wanted to go first cuz it can be a little tight once it starts sucking up

Sponsored

Billy Goat

Wildtrak
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I also figured out what the windshield gasket recall was all about when I backed out the front body mount and collected water started running out

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™ve loosened them as much as possible to no avail. With the brackets in, the studs just donā€™t seem to get through the pinch welds. I was able to do the drivers side with no issues using a jack to balance the slider into the holes, so it confuses me as to why I canā€™t get this passenger side to slide on in. Iā€™ve tried close to 30 times to get it to fitšŸ˜¢

Mine is a 2dr so this may not apply but there were (2) extra brackets in my kit . One extra per side that were a tad bit different. Not sure what the deal was but my driver side went like a charm. balanced the slider on my harbor Freight Badlands jack and install each bracket loosely then tightened everything down. Passenger side did not want to sit correct until I changed one of the brackets. I can't remember what was different since that was back in May plus I have slept since then but it went easy after that.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Actually yes.... The driver's side was more difficult. In fact I think I did remove the rear mount completely and then installed it then the sliders to it. Sorry, been a little while. Not that long but I am an old man and my memory is not quite what it used to be. I remember doing the passenger side by my self and then asking my son to help me with the drivers side after spending a couple hours trying by myself. He does not really know what he is doing but he is strong and my arms were getting sore.

OP
OP
kingsingh14

kingsingh14

Badlands
First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Currently out of the country, but Iā€™ll be back working on the bronco hopefully on the 23rd. I can add pics here šŸ‘
You have pics of what won't line up or is hitting? Are you sure you installed the brackets in the right locations? If I remember correctly, the brackets are not all the same size and mount in a specific location.

OP
OP
kingsingh14

kingsingh14

Badlands
First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You get an extra set of brackets for a 4-door that are doubles . If I recall, the ones up front close to the body mount are an oddball. All my brackets I installed one at a time. I learned to get them all up in there resting before initiating the first attempt to find which screw wanted to go first cuz it can be a little tight once it starts sucking up
It seems those are the ones that arenā€™t letting me jack the step up into place. Iā€™m gonna take a look to try and swap them around. Iā€™ve checked multiple times that all of the brackets are in the right order, but who knows I could be going crazy
Sponsored