Sponsored

Metal-Tech Step Sliders vs Rock Slide Engineering Step Sliders?

RJones

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am finally ready to upgrade my factory rock sliders for some step sliders. I am heavily leaning towards Metal-Tech Step Sliders since they are frame mounted, sturdy, and simple. The fact that they cost about $1,000 less than RSE step sliders doesn't hurt either.

I really like the idea of the RSE step sliders, but I have low patients for things that don't work or quit working as expected. My concern is that over time, these would create frustrations if they ever quit working as advertised. There seems to be a lot of room for various fail points. It also appears that these wouldn't be as sturdy since they attach to the body rather than the frame like Metal-Tech's.

I could be completely wrong in my assessment and am very interested in the opinions of those who own or have owned either of these. Please share your thoughts, advice and experience with these products. I'd also be interested to hear of an alternative that compares with these two. I am aware of the Z-Roadz, but not interested since they are not frame mounted. I don't necessarily need super heavy duty protection for North Texas off roading, but would prefer to have it and not need it. I'd rather spend a little extra now than have to upgrade again later.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Aren't GOAT Fab frame mounted?

Also, which @Metal-tech 4x4 sliders? They just game out with the (boat side) Sidewinders and not sure many have used them. But the RSE's mention seems like you're talking about the step sliders, which have been around for a while.

OP
OP
RJones

RJones

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Aren't GOAT Fab frame mounted?

Also, which @Metal-tech 4x4 sliders? They just game out with the (boat side) Sidewinders and not sure many have used them. But the RSE's mention seems like you're talking about the step sliders, which have been around for a while.
The Goat Fab's mount to the body like the factory and Z-Roadz. They use the phrase "sub structure" a lot, but the pictures clearly show they are not frame mounted.

The Metal-Tech Sidewinders do look interesting, but Im looking more at their step sliders.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Goat Fab's mount to the body like the factory and Z-Roadz. They use the phrase "sub structure" a lot, but the pictures clearly show they are not frame mounted.

The Metal-Tech Sidewinders do look interesting, but Im looking more at their step sliders.
I don't actually know of any others that frame mount. I've always liked the Next Venture rock slides, which seem pretty stout but spendy, but even they're mounted on the pinch weld.

I will note the Metal Tech I believe sacrifice themselves in a way where you may have to replace them if you come down on a rock. We may hear from them on that, but the idea is they bend to save the body. You could still buy 2.5 of them to one RSE, though. On the RSE side, though, everyone seems to really like them.

Shoresy

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land cruiser, focus st
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am finally ready to upgrade my factory rock sliders for some step sliders. I am heavily leaning towards Metal-Tech Step Sliders since they are frame mounted, sturdy, and simple. The fact that they cost about $1,000 less than RSE step sliders doesn't hurt either.

I really like the idea of the RSE step sliders, but I have low patients for things that don't work or quit working as expected. My concern is that over time, these would create frustrations if they ever quit working as advertised. There seems to be a lot of room for various fail points. It also appears that these wouldn't be as sturdy since they attach to the body rather than the frame like Metal-Tech's.

I could be completely wrong in my assessment and am very interested in the opinions of those who own or have owned either of these. Please share your thoughts, advice and experience with these products. I'd also be interested to hear of an alternative that compares with these two. I am aware of the Z-Roadz, but not interested since they are not frame mounted. I don't necessarily need super heavy duty protection for North Texas off roading, but would prefer to have it and not need it. I'd rather spend a little extra now than have to upgrade again later.

Thanks for the help!
RCI are frame mounted too. Positive reviews. Ordered my set about 5 weeks ago. Getting close to picking up!

https://rcimetalworks.com/product/rock-sliders-21-present-bronco/

Sponsored

Metal-tech 4x4

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21'+ 22" Broncos, Lexus GX470, Toyota FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I don't actually know of any others that frame mount. I've always liked the Next Venture rock slides, which seem pretty stout but spendy, but even they're mounted on the pinch weld.

I will note the Metal Tech I believe sacrifice themselves in a way where you may have to replace them if you come down on a rock. We may hear from them on that, but the idea is they bend to save the body. You could still buy 2.5 of them to one RSE, though. On the RSE side, though, everyone seems to really like them.
Metal-tech 4x4 sliders carry a lifetime warranty. In MT4x4's 24 years, we have replaced less than six sliders out of thousands built and sold. We build them to the maximum point of protection but don't build them to where if they ever take a significant hit (usually borderline negligence/abuse, usually a result of low experience + skinny peddle), they will absorb the hit before damaging your frame.

Most of the five slider warranties we have done have been FZJ80 Landcruisers (1500 to 2000lbs heavier than a typical 6G) and sliders that were 8+ yrs old coming off dedicated hardcore trail rigs. The last one was over 15 years old, and the owner could not say how many times he took that 80' over Rubicon and Dusy-Ershim trails in CA. That is legit to bend over time with that kind of continuous hard-to-use.

@userdude I think you are referencing our response to a user asking if we would take our Sidewinders (aggressive trail sliders) and make them "Nuke Proof" to where the bodies would never bend. In that response, I pointed out we would not do that since it would be creating something that, by design, may damage what they are mounted to, the frame. Poor design neglects what it's mounted to.

It's not popular to think the classic "you're only as strong as your weakest link," but as a designer, fabricator, builder (and hard-use user), MT4x4 is responsible for doing so. Metal-tech 4x4 could do the cash grab of "Never bend these sliders" and build some monsters that weigh 120 lbs each that bolt to the frame. But if that product were taken past the point where properly designed sliders are made, the damage would go into one frame. The frame is the place we are mounting to for the strongest, hard point on the truck. (MT4X4 sliders always go to the frame)

Bottom line. Metal-tech 4x4 6G Bronco Rock Sliders (step too) are frame mounted and built to be the strongest slider on the market, backed by the #1 warranty on the planet for sliders by a company that has been around for 24+ years. Bend it, and we fix or replace it. We don't just talk about our warranty; it is published.

Everyone remember: You never ELIMINATE the fail point, only move it.

@RJones I am happy to answer any questions you have on our Metal-tech 4x4 4D Step Rock Sliders for your Bronco.

We have them in stock at this time, so no lead time, a flat $149.95 shipping promo, and currently a 10% deal going through tomorrow 1/14/24, with the code: MT10

https://metaltech4x4.com/metal-tech-2021-ford-bronco-4-door-rock-sliders/

fourdayoff

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands/sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Thanks for the help!
I made the choice to use the RSE step sliders before my bronco was built after my wife and I attended the Rodeo. We are getting older, my wife is only 5' and the ease of entry seemed like a plus. They were the 1st mod I completed. Yes they are expensive, cry once. After 15 months of use they are great. A couple of bonuses I have found are, actually 3 no seat wear from sliding in and out, way less mud and rock slinging on vehicle sides, no door dings in parking lots from inconsiderate morons. Yes there are some pieces that may fail and need replacing down the road but the practicality of these steps make me grin every time I get in. If you've watched the clown Bronco Buster thrash his pair that he had to bend back after a rollover, that is a testament to their durability. Jim.

Jwis

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I installed the RCI step sliders, very robust design, excellent build quality and install instructions. These are the 5 degree, the step is much appreciated by my wife. Have ordered the Ford "trail armor" plastic pinch weld covers which will provide the finished look Ford should have provided.
RCI's 20 degree option hug the side and better hide the pinch weld, probably a more functional slider but not as good as a step.

slider.jpg

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Thanks for the help!
Just watch what the YT channel Matt's Off Road Recovery puts their Bronco with the RockSlide Engineering slider steps through and I don't think you
will ever question the durability of them not being frame mounted.

If you want a great step that probably extends lower than any other plus a great looking/effective rock slider , parking lot door ding protector , I can't imagine any better than the RSE. The flat surface of the main slider also makes a awesome secondary step to reach the top of the Bronco as well .

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Both are great products. But, they are not really a good comparison. The Rock Slide makes it really easy for OFG people to get in and out of our Bronco and give rock slide protection. . Metal Tech is a great slider and a good step if you can reach it.

PS: OFG is old fat guy.

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I ran MT sliders on my FJ and they were fantastic. They took everything I threw at them. I will add them to my wife's Bronco very soon. Bonus for me is that they are local so I can just pick them up.

Lucky Nut

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If you want a great step that probably extends lower than any other plus a great looking/effective rock slider , parking lot door ding protector , I can't imagine any better than the RSE. The flat surface of the main slider also makes a awesome secondary step to reach the top of the Bronco as well .
Yes! The RSE steps are damn near mandatory for climbing in/out of the back seat in my 2-door FE. I’ve had zero issues with them and, frankly, can’t imagine my truck without them. Not to mention my seats still look brand new after 2+ years because I haven’t been sliding off of them to get out. Highly recommend.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve come down on rocks and nothing happened or moved

Ford Bronco Metal-Tech Step Sliders vs Rock Slide Engineering Step Sliders? IMG_1621

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife is 4’11 and mt4x4 work fine for her daily in her 4 door or my 2 door

I was 6’1 now I have blown l4/l5 and drop foot. Steps work for both of us

i total vehicles often enough with body mount steps I’ll never use them.

ib4 I get accused of no idea what I’m talking about….
Ford Bronco Metal-Tech Step Sliders vs Rock Slide Engineering Step Sliders? DJI_0161

Last edited:

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Another vote for RSE. If you're worried whether they are stout enough - have no worries. They are plenty stout enough to support the full weight of the vehicle - especially with the add on skids. The power step is just an added bonus. Best mode I've done to my Bronco.
Sponsored