First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco wildtrak, 1996 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It’s a nice set up. I used to be a service manage at a big dealership and that repair would have been rejected if warranty was involved due To those parts not being engineered by the manufacture and possible caused the axel tube to fail. As for seeing wire in the weld thats normal. Mig welding is a wire feed system and Ive seem many components welded with wire stuck to them.
I hope you get a warranty claim but be prepared. its on you now to prove those cool suspension components didn’t cause the failure. Good luck. .
I’m going to take care of it on my own. When and if. A TSB is created I’ll submit my invoice to ford to see about reimbursement.
Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks to me as though someone burned (while welding) completely through the axle tube. Are you sure it didn’t come from the factory that way?

OP
OP
Baja_bronco

Baja_bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looks to me as though someone burned (while welding) completely through the axle tube. Are you sure it didn’t come from the factory that way?
It had to have come from the factory that way. The weld are are mediocre at best. People say on this thread that the suspension and tires could’ve caused it but I have beat a stock Ford 8.8 way harder than this with no issues, and when I say it was mild wheeling I guess my idea of mild wheeling is different than some.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

after seeing the OPs suspension, I'm leaning more towards the axle tube flexing from big bumps and jumps, not the trail turn assist feature. In the OPs case it's obvious to me that the housing is now the weak link on the rear suspension on big impacts. those fancy coilovers and extra shocks can handle the loads but the axle cannot.

IMHO part of the problem is that the center cast-iron section has no support from the upper trailing arms. they should be mounted to it instead of the housing.

OP
OP
Baja_bronco

Baja_bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
after seeing the OPs suspension, I'm leaning more towards the axle tube flexing from big bumps and jumps, not the trail turn assist feature. In the OPs case it's obvious to me that the housing is now the weak link on the rear suspension on big impacts. those fancy coilovers and extra shocks can handle the loads but the axle cannot.

IMHO part of the problem is that the center cast-iron section has no support from the upper trailing arms. they should be mounted to it instead of the housing.
Jumps?? Fancy shocks?? 🤣 wait and see this is going to happen more and more. It was a sponsored Easter run open to everyone. So when I say it was mild it was mild. Hell there was an expedition on 32s and a Chevy standard cab 1500 4x4 on 33’s. But if you want to draw conclusions from “fancy shocks” go ahead lmao

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Jumps?? Fancy shocks?? 🤣 wait and see this is going to happen more and more. It was a sponsored Easter run open to everyone. So when I say it was mild it was mild. Hell there was an expedition on 32s and a Chevy standard cab 1500 4x4 on 33’s. But if you want to draw conclusions from “fancy shocks” go ahead lmao
no, I guess I'll just assume you spent the extra money just for looks instead of use...

you haven't said whether you use or even have Trail turn assist. But you do show off some fancy suspension system and I would assume that you bought all that so you could use it to some degree.

Nobody really cares what the other folks were driving on the same trail that you were hauling ass on

OP
OP
Baja_bronco

Baja_bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
no, I guess I'll just assume you spent the extra money just for looks instead of use...

you haven't said whether you use or even have Trail turn assist. But you do show off some fancy suspension system and I would assume that you bought all that so you could use it to some degree.

Nobody really cares what the other folks were driving on the same trail that you were hauling ass on
You’re right was driving like BJ Baldwin launching 15 ft in the air with 2.0 coil overs and a two tube bypass 🤣🤦🏼‍♂️ my 96 bronco is made for that.

06A3A50A-36D5-4DD4-9A01-3869F1AC1C5C.jpeg

73D6F683-B8BE-40E2-90C7-C40B87DD9708.png

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I gotta side w/the OP here. Those welds shouldn't have failed like that. If we allow that to be the standard for Bronco, then NO Bronco is EVER under warranty. I've seen plenty of wrecks where axle shafts are snapped clean off and tubes are bent all to hell, but still welded in the housing. He got a bad one plain and simple...that happens, and thats what warranty is for. Dont think Jeep would deny this claim, and they buy theirs from the same mfg.

MsPickles

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No judgement here, just looking at what was posted in the pictures as I'm finding this interesting and possible fail point for anyone doing more extensive suspension work. I'm wondering if the extra length on the added shock bracket caused extra tork that killed the plug welds that may have not been that strong already. Everything is made cheaper today. :(
I cropped up a couple pictures, and I see that the axel tube rotation is in the correct direction when the rear wheels would have went over a bump or rock at some speed. The axel must go up, and the shock will resist this, pushing down. With the extra length of the shock mount, I can see the circular tork being increased directly to the axel tube, causing the possible break and spin. Guess this might mean that additional welding needed from axel tube to housing to prevent a spin for anyone adding additional suspension components.
Just thoughts.

Untitled.jpg

OP
OP
Baja_bronco

Baja_bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No judgement here, just looking at what was posted in the pictures as I'm finding this interesting and possible fail point for anyone doing more extensive suspension work. I'm wondering if the extra length on the added shock bracket caused extra tork that killed the plug welds that may have not been that strong already. Everything is made cheaper today. :(
I cropped up a couple pictures, and I see that the axel tube rotation is in the correct direction when the rear wheels would have went over a bump or rock at some speed. The axel must go up, and the shock will resist this, pushing down. With the extra length of the shock mount, I can see the circular tork being increased directly to the axel tube, causing the possible break and spin. Guess this might mean that additional welding needed from axel tube to housing to prevent a spin for anyone adding additional suspension components.
Just thoughts.

Ford Bronco Plug welds missing on axle tube Untitled
The picture with the shock is a bypass so it acts as a dampener. The coilover is in the stock location.

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Just thoughts.

Ford Bronco Plug welds missing on axle tube Untitled
absolutely correct... those forces are extreme twist.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The picture with the shock is a bypass so it acts as a dampener. The coilover is in the stock location.
the further away mount still adds a tremendous amount of twisting leverage...especially during a big hit or bump. combine those extra forces with the twist from normal HP axle wrap (Pinon wants to go opposite direction as tire rotations) and we have a recipe for broke plug welds. just imagine the twist force when one of those bypass shocks is in extension motion and the other is in compression motion...🫨🙄🫣 😲🤯🤨🤔

in my humble opinion, those bypass shocks would be better mounted to the trailing arm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Baja_bronco

Baja_bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have no choice at this time but to fix and truss the axel. Both a factory axel and the Dana 60 are back ordered with no date for availability.

24A06723-F184-4745-A160-ACE20001B29E.jpeg

1A376231-A996-46A5-897F-C008429C13A7.jpeg

freetors

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would also say in regards to the solid rod ends in the suspension links, if there is any binding whatsoever in any part of the suspension movement, the forces resolved through the links will shoot up astronomically and the resultant torque through the axle tube into the housing will be huge. The same force will also be seen at the frame end.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It had to have come from the factory that way. The weld are are mediocre at best. People say on this thread that the suspension and tires could’ve caused it but I have beat a stock Ford 8.8 way harder than this with no issues, and when I say it was mild wheeling I guess my idea of mild wheeling is different than some.
OP - Does the hole go all the way through the axle tube?
Sponsored