Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

While there are some impressive setups for a mounted winch anyone seen or have ideas about a portable setup? I’m going to be a casual off road we. I’ll visit some orb parks I hope to get down south and out west from Michigan do some more challenging stuff but It is not going to be an every weekend or even every month thing. I’d like singing I can rig up to the front or rear of needed. Something that can stay in the shed when not needed for weeks on end instead of put in the weather. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used to have a hitch mounted one like this, with a receiver built into the front bumper so you can use it front or rear. Hoping something like it eventually makes its way to the Bronco.
Ford Bronco Portable winch? images (2)

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’d have no problem using the shackle mounts with hard or soft shackles for the front. And a hitch with loop for the rear. I’d likely install plow type power connections. A decent winch I’m guessing will be 80 lbs alone. Would like to find something in the 50lb range but haven’t yet that’s rated well.

Bongo Fury

Base
First Name
Bongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
I used to have a hitch mounted one like this, with a receiver built into the front bumper so you can use it front or rear. Hoping something like it eventually makes its way to the Bronco.
images (2).jpeg
Nice set up! I've been toying with a similar idea only using the shackle mounts. Steel round stock slid through the pin openings.
Enough play to slide in and out for install/removal and welded to a platform such as your pic. Advantage in using this connection point would allow a vertical rise or drop swivel movement according to field conditions. Second advantage would be the even 2 point pull from the front end directly joined to the frame. Make sense?

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

something like this is most likely what I'll be doing, if I ever even think I need a winch (yeah yeah, won't know it until you need it, better to have it and not need it than..... I know, LOL).

I really don't like the look of a winch, I don't like the loss in approach angle, and I really don't want to lug around 100lb all year, I live far from any trails. Not sure if a front receiver can be added to my BL bumper, I know a guy who's a master welder, gonna ask him sometime.

If there ever is a good looking bumper/winch combo that also doesn't block the camera or impact angles I might reconsider, so far I haven't seen anything I like. I have the 2.7 which makes things tight for hidden install I guess.

I'm also not ever gonna spend $3k+ on any of that.

Pack when needed, leave home when not is much nicer IMO.

Sponsored
OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

something like this is most likely what I'll be doing, if I ever even think I need a winch (yeah yeah, won't know it until you need it, better to have it and not need it than..... I know, LOL).

I really don't like the look of a winch, I don't like the loss in approach angle, and I really don't want to lug around 100lb all year, I live far from any trails. Not sure if a front receiver can be added to my BL bumper, I know a guy who's a master welder, gonna ask him sometime.

If there ever is a good looking bumper/winch combo that also doesn't block the camera or impact angles I might reconsider, so far I haven't seen anything I like. I have the 2.7 which makes things tight for hidden install I guess.

I'm also not ever gonna spend $3k+ on any of that.

Pack when needed, leave home when not is much nicer IMO.
Exactly what I hope to accomplish. Take when hitting trails/off-road stored when not needed. I also have the 2.7.

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I had one of these on a samurai years ago, they are horrible. They stick out to far and kill the approach angle. I guess it’s better than nothing, but do some research before you dive into it

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If ypu have the mod bumper you could probably fabricate a platform like I posted that fit into the shackle mounts. Both holes would have to be utilized on each side to give it vertical stability. You don't want that thing swinging around lol

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had one of these on a samurai years ago, they are horrible. They stick out to far and kill the approach angle. I guess it’s better than nothing, but do some research before you dive into it
I just left mine in the tool box until needed

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

idea would be to attach it when needed, not have it on there all day long. I guess if you're stuck with the nose against rocks you'd just have to attach it to the rear hitch then and pull back to get unstuck. This is not for pulling the whole truck up some rock garden, I'd never do that or at least not in the first 10+ years, that's for dedicated crawlers and buggies IMO.

Yes, just having it stick out there in front all day on the trail would not be a good plan

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If ypu have the mod bumper you could probably fabricate a platform like I posted that fit into the shackle mounts. Both holes would have to be utilized on each side to give it vertical stability. You don't want that thing swinging around lol
I do have the mod bumper👍 Time to start searching for hardened round stock as I like that idea of using both front recovery points. And you are correct with a little time and measurement I can weld something up that bolts in place fairly easy. Or even just a loose strap to a bull bar until pressure is applied. Vertical swivel could be a good thing.

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Lol I’ve forgotten all about the most portable winch made. Only issue with them were limited distance then reset and repeat.
Oh yeah but they work you just gotta use chain or tow straps. In a pinch it will get the job done I’ve used them a number of times. We got big chain driven ones at my work I use to borrow on trips. This was like 15 or 20 years ago when winches cost a small fortune.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Back in the day we just used these and it always got us out of a pickle.

5 Ton Come Along Winch by JABETC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0186M7NKS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_518NXTWT7A7YHQYD5MYK
that's actually my initial plan, I really just want something that can get me off if high centered or pull me out of a hole I didn't see etc. Not something to pull me 20 feet up some steep incline I have no business being on. Some tow straps, tree saver so I can create an angle, couple soft shackles, haven't really planned it out yet, but that's what I'll do first before spending a ton on something I might never use.
Would be different if I lived near trails maybe, but I don't. Yet.
Sponsored