Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota 4Runner, 1976 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

• Banned
First, let me say I got the Base with the MIC top, and I prefer that to a painted top, but this comment is true regardless of bias.

I just glanced out an upstairs window and saw my 4Runner from above in afternoon light and realized for the first time I have many dings on the roof. Hail? Walnuts? Not even sure. The hood has zero. So I conclude the roof is a thinner or more malleable metal than the hood.

I then thought about how probably hail or whatever wonā€™t damage the MIC top.

This is my theory. Plenty of time for theories while I wait.

Unrelated:

This photo from 1978 shows my dadā€™s 1976 Bronco, which I still have. The orange 1978 Renegade CJ-7 with Leviā€™s package was my momā€™s. This was a meet-up with a bunch of other folks before heading out to explore trails all day.

Ford Bronco Possible advantage of MIC tops 5AC7521B-1A14-499B-AB08-1F1E3B418C93
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
A Modular top or soft-top wouldnā€™t get dings either.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored

LiquidIQ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, Impreza Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After all the hail storms in recent history in Colorado, being virtually hail-proof was a big plus for me with the MIC top. I don't know how the soft top would hold up against softball-sized hail like they had in Colorado Springs a few years ago though.

The Dmv

Base
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2d Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

First, let me say I got the Base with the MIC top, and I prefer that to a painted top, but this comment is true regardless of bias.

I just glanced out an upstairs window and saw my 4Runner from above in afternoon light and realized for the first time I have many dings on the roof. Hail? Walnuts? Not even sure. The hood has zero. So I conclude the roof is a thinner or more malleable metal than the hood.

This is my theory. Plenty of time for theories while I wait.

Unrelated:

This photo from 1978 shows my dadā€™s 1976 Bronco, which I still have. The orange 1978 Renegade CJ-7 with Leviā€™s package was my momā€™s. This was a meet-up with a bunch of other folks before heading out to explore trails all day.

Ford Bronco Possible advantage of MIC tops 1618019489671
Awesome pic, got a current one of the ā€˜76?

Mustang Mike

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I donā€™t like the painted roof or the painted fender flairs, same for on the wrangler looks off to me

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

After all the hail storms in recent history in Colorado, being virtually hail-proof was a big plus for me with the MIC top. I don't know how the soft top would hold up against softball-sized hail like they had in Colorado Springs a few years ago though.
I went looking for pics of Texas hail damage, the stuff I have to watch out for, and I came across a Lite Brite video of all things, when they are not doing Jeep/Bronco videos they are actually car insurance appraisers.

Texas Hail:
Ford Bronco Possible advantage of MIC tops maxresdefault

Texas Hail Damage:
Ford Bronco Possible advantage of MIC tops r960-de956c81f20d1f18aa290c9fc72c8fc1

Texas Hail Protection:
Ford Bronco Possible advantage of MIC tops 2744dd87-5da0-4095-8c52-d28bdfbbf451_750x422

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ford Bronco Possible advantage of MIC tops 2744dd87-5da0-4095-8c52-d28bdfbbf451_750x422
Left the pic in, just because of it's 70's awesomeness.

Since the painted Mod top isn't metal, I think the hail damage concern is moot. However, there is the trail scratching concern.

I went with MIC, and figure if I hate it, I'll have it painted, or plasti dipped, or something - most likely white. Having driven a JK with a molded top for 13 years, I think we're going to find the MICs very practical in a functional way (painted vs ABS flares are a similar discussion). Besides wind noise n the front two corners of a 13 year old top, the only problem I have had is the passenger freedom panel getting water in it during heavy rains (which I think I have now sealed).

Since the supplier is having so much trouble with the Mods, maybe they aren't so practical ... maybe MIC is the way to go. Especially if you intend to use the Bronco.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Too bad he couldn't just put it in that garage ...
Exactly, some forum member last week said our Bronco's were intended to be our 4th, 5th, or 6th play vehicle. I'm not sure what that person's garage or bank account looks like but I own two vehicles in North Texas for my standard 2 car suburbia garage.
Sponsored