Sponsored

Possible rack / steering (tie rod sleeve) failure solution from Broncbuster?

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes I thought more about it after the fact and agree it's meant to run full time. I think from the photos I've seen of the broken tie rods that none have really bent but rather snapped at the weak point on the start of the threaded section. A grinder to clean it off and I bet you could fit those Splints. But I do see he intends you to build them before and run them full time.
The tie rods usually break after bending from lateral shear forces. For example, from the slippery log obstacle thread, that one bent about 15 degrees before it broke and had to be repaired on the trail with a portable welder...

Ford Bronco Possible rack / steering (tie rod sleeve) failure solution from Broncbuster? Broken Tie Rod

Ford Bronco Possible rack / steering (tie rod sleeve) failure solution from Broncbuster? Trail Repair of Broken Tie Rod

Now, you can obviously grind the broken tie rod ends down to get them to fit inside the splint, but unless you weld the two halves of the broken tie rod together, the threaded end will simply slip out of the splint. The two sides of the splint clamp against each other -- not against the tie rod itself -- so it is not actually holding the tie rod together in tension. It is only limiting the possibility of breaking laterally in shear.

Watch the video closely at 1:27, and you will see that the splint faces are in contact once installed.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rockdawg84

Badlands
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 4RUNNER, 96 F350 CC 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m more concerned with the cast aluminum rack busting. This may be some safety feature built into the rack (from the factory) for collisions and sheering/turning so the steering wheel doesn’t break your arms when you hit something.

I did really like his explanation of how the components break. Seems like every scenario we’ve seen come across B6G…….
if this wasn’t a prophetic post I don’t know what is.