Sponsored

Possible Wiper Fixes - Easy / Free / Cheap!!!

Please try these fixes and report back:

• I messed with the wiper linkage and they are working now! :)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I tried smaller (15") wiper blades and NO CHANGE! :(

• I messed with the wiper linkage and NO CHANGE! :(

• Total voters

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been following the issue of the wipers very closely for sometime as it drives me crazy to the point of wanting to trade in my Bronco on something else. Lately, I have hypothesized that the issue is NOT bad or oversensitive motors, but rather too much friction on the wiper blades resulting in the motors doing what they are designed to do and slowing down.

I believe one possible issue is that the wiper arm springs are too tight, thus pressing the blade onto the glass too hard and creating too much resistance when wiping. Go lift up on the blade, then try a different vehicle and see - my wife's Pacifica wipers are much easier too lift up. So, last weekend, 3/25/23 and 3/26/23, I tried to remove the driver's side wiper arm to see if I could go find a lighter spring, or try to stretch the spring. I was not able to remove the arm, but I removed the nut and tried pulling up. Then I played with the passenger side to see if I could shim the spring coils a bit, but wasn't able to. However, the end result was me lifting the wipers several times, and pulling up on the driver side arm. Monday, 3/27 I drove home a few miles in the rain and the wipers actually worked! No slow down or intermittent!

Last Friday, 4/31/23, I lifted my wipers around noon, and left them up overnight to see if I could stretch the springs that way. The next day, 4/1/23 (I know, April Fools but I already had my fun in another thread) we got some rain. My first try was as normal where they went for 20 wipes, slowed down, then on the 25th they went intermittent. However, it wasn't really raining and I was stopped. Restarted and they lasted until I got home, and I even took a detour to extend how long it took me to get home.

Both times they worked in the above instances was not for a very long time, but certainly much longer then they had ever worked before. Oh, and a disclaimer, I use synthetic wax and put it on my windshield, but it has been over a month since my last wash.

So, why not try lifting you wipers overnight for awhile and see what happens? Its free and easy, what have you got to lose? Please report back and let us know what happens.

The second thing I recently came across is that @Ground_zero298 reported in another thread that he dropped down to 15" blades and hasn't had an issue since. This also seems to support the wiping resistance theory, as less contact area will result in less resistance. So please feel free to try this and report back.

Lastly, @E. J asked if checking the linkage for binding and adjusting might help, this might also be an area to look into.

I dropped down to 15” wiper blades. Haven’t had a issue since.

Last ride out we went through a wet snow storm. 4 of us. 2 had intermittent slow done. Mine ran fine.

Has anyone checked (or know if dealer techs are) the linkage joints for proper movement? Like being overly tightened. Could be a contributor to the problem.

1680612258772.png

drawing source
Relevant threads:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...sue-fixed-thanks-to-ford-motor-company.70071/

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/wiper-control-speed-issues-urgent-safety.31809/
Sponsored

dwfern

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think I read somewhere the wipers are designed to slow down after they "sense" less rain or no rain? But should pick back up to normal speed after more rain hits.... and if there is an issue it could be fixed via an OTA update.

I also remember being told with prior vehicles with rain sensing windshields, to not use any RainX or other applications to bead water as those products mess with the sensors causing them to not work properly.

OP
OP

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I read somewhere the wipers are designed to slow down after they "sense" less rain or no rain? But should pick back up to normal speed after more rain hits.... and if there is an issue it could be fixed via an OTA update.

I also remember being told with prior vehicles with rain sensing windshields, to not use any RainX or other applications to bead water as those products mess with the sensors causing them to not work properly.
They are not rain sensing. This is complete BS coming from the dealers trying to explain why they don't work. They are only resistance sensing to protect the motor from overload. In a way, they kind of sense rain, but they are not supposed to be rain sensing.

From the Owner's Manual:
WIPER PRECAUTIONS

The vehicle is equipped with protection features to prevent damage to the wiper motor in case of overheating, usage on dry windshields or obstructions to the wiper blade due to snow or ice accumulation on the windshield.
In such conditions, the wiper motor may restrict its speed, reduce area of cleaning or completely stop operation. System returns back to normal operation mode once conditions are resolved.

Do not operate the wipers on a dry windshield. This could scratch the glass or damage the wiper blades. Use the windshield washers before wiping a dry windshield.
Fully defrost the windshield before you switch the windshield wipers on.
Switch the windshield wipers off before entering a car wash.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Complete bullshit by Ford and the dealers. They know what happened over the 2.7 issues. The 7mt is about to bite them in the ass, Same with the wiper motor recall that will be coming after someone’s kids die. Ford is acting like it’s not a issue because they can’t get the parts to fix them.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had read about this but hadn't experienced it until recently. Had it at the low (non-intermittent setting) and in a steady rain. And they just stopped. I had to flip the switch to another setting to get them to work again.

I have read that some people are getting the motors replaced with apparent success.

But I'm willing to try lifting the arms overnight.

George Ellis

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 DRW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my F-350, I am able to disable the rain sensing part. I have been in love with Rain-X for at least 30 years and can't imagine a window without it. :)

dwfern

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok... whether it is rain sensing or resistance sensing... potato... potahto... still think it is designed to do this... albeit the "sensing" (rain or resistance) might be miscalibrated and the main point being missed is it should be able to be fixed via an OTA.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There are no moisture sensors on the Bronco. Let me take that back. I believe that the sensors are incorporated into some other sensor but the program is not in any of the chips and cannot be unlocked by even the best software hacker.

Most $50k+ vehicles do have rain sensing wipers but you would know if the Bronco had it as in the first position the wipers would never move until moisture was sensed.

That being said, I absolutely despise people that lift their wiper blades and leave them up overnight. The only reason they can move that much is for blade replacement. They're you lift thecarms on a daily basis the faster thd springs get weaker or possibly break.

But of course the OP wants lighter springs and occasionally bladecarms should be lifted a little to ensure they have not rusted into a fixed position that fails to wipe clean

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They are not rain sensing. This is complete BS coming from the dealers trying to explain why they don't work. They are only resistance sensing to protect the motor from overload. In a way, they kind of sense rain, but they are not supposed to be rain sensing.

From the Owner's Manual:
Yeah they sense the LACK of rain, which is the most ridiculous solution to cheap parts from shady vendors. I seriously doubt there is another vehicle on the planet (other than some other Ford) that has such bad motors that they need software to shut them down

35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
My motors were replaced just two days ago and I have tried them. They still slow down. I'm livid.

I don't know what they will do to fix it.

OP
OP

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I lifted my wipers when not in use from last Friday, 3/31 until yesterday when I forgot to put them back up. This morning I was out and about in a misty rain (Western PA) and over all my experience was positive. Twice I had no shutdown, and it was a very light rain that I would normally have on the longest intermittent setting, or even off and hit them manually every now and then. 3 times I experienced the slow down, however the rain was pretty much non existent at that point and I was really pushing it ;)

OP
OP

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok... whether it is rain sensing or resistance sensing... potato... potahto... still think it is designed to do this... albeit the "sensing" (rain or resistance) might be miscalibrated and the main point being missed is it should be able to be fixed via an OTA.
Even if it can be fixed by a software update, who knows when that will happen? I want my wipers to work NOW! ;)

MsPickles

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford has already doubled down on the wipers, releasing the SSM stating that they work as designed. But their design was listed for dry or obstructions, that they will stop. It doesn't list a wet windshield at all. Obviously they are not working as designed if they slow down and stop with any amount of rain on a wet windshield. It is not acceptable to have the wipers on the continuous setting and have them slow or stop while it is raining, either a little or a lot. That is a distraction while driving to have to fiddle to get the wipers to function again. I have seen others talking about work arounds to get their wipers to work, but that is not a fix.
Would someone pull up on their drivers window to get it to roll up, because the motor wasn't strong enough to roll up on it's own as the fix? Doubtful someone would accept that from a new vehicle and expect it to function as designed.
I have had the problem also and I have reported it, like many others, but Ford won't budge unless the numbers come in. The numbers have to come from everyone that has the wiper problem report it. If everyone on the forum who has had the issue, report it, and then get everyone they know to report it as well who are having the issue, then we may have a chance. Numbers matter. So everyone report it to the NHTSA and forward the link to everyone you know who also has the issue.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle/vehicle-information
Sponsored