chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just because I am about to leave on a trip with my Dometic fridge in the back of my FJ...

The FJ outlet (yeah just ONE in the whole vehicle) are off with the key out...

How does Ford do it?
Sponsored

OP
OP
chtucker

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Well, there’s this thing called a battery right and that thing connects to that thing and BAM....MOAR POWER.
What???
Some vehicles cut power to cigarette lighter plugs when the vehicle is off... the fridge plugs into it

Does the power point aka "cigarette plug" stay powered up in Fords with the key off?

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What???
Some vehicles cut power to cigarette lighter plugs when the vehicle is off... the fridge plugs into it

Does the power point aka "cigarette plug" stay powered up in Fords with the key off?
Ohhh, I thought you were asking how it stayed on not if it did. I have a Ram 2500 currently so I can’t answer that question. Hopefully somebody else can.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just because I am about to leave on a trip with my Dometic fridge in the back of my FJ...

The FJ outlet (yeah just ONE in the whole vehicle) are off with the key out...

How does Ford do it?
Do new cars have keys? Is it a mode you put your phone on nowadays?

Sponsored

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
On my Challenger and Gladiator and Pacifica the outlets are labeled key or hot and some you can actually configure to your liking. Granted this is all FCA but I wouldn’t be surprised if more modern cars are set up similarly. ?‍♂

JK

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will be grabbing a Dometic CX55 for my Bronco (have an old ARB), but also plan to use my Jackery 500 to power the fridge 12V while the car isn't in motion overnight while camping.

The more complex option is to go full 2 battery system, but you'll also need a power regulator (keeps power on and regulates it). Basically do some research on Redarc. There are other options and even an electrician with some talent or an engineer can/do create a homemade option.

The more robust set ups can control extra lighting, a heater (diesel or Kerosene is better, but that'll cost). I'm getting carried away here, but assuming you're looking into this for overland travel or at least 2-5 night camp trips.

The pro install route may run $400 (could go higher) for wiring and hiding the wires, but setting up your AUX equipment too, not including the cost of the fridge.

Running a Jackery 500 ($500), Goal Zero, Bluetti, etc may run up to $1000, but will have AC and DC, plus USB, USB-C, etc to power cameras, phone, tablets. Anyway, you get the idea.

Look into some options and maybe YouTube has better suggestions than mine.

Good luck Wheeler!

OP
OP
chtucker

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
What's your biggest priority? Cold storage or being able to start the motor?
Cold storage... I have a jump box... It only draws 1/2 to 1 amp. I just don't want to leave the vehicle unlocked to keep the food cool. Doing the math, the fridge could run for a full day before the vehicle wouldn't start.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's your biggest priority? Cold storage or being able to start the motor?
Newer high quality fridges have a low voltage monitor that will cut the fridge power if your car battery is low. (Yes this feature does work)

Sponsored
OP
OP
chtucker

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Newer high quality fridges have a low voltage monitor that will cut the fridge power if your car battery is low. (Yes this feature does work)
I have a Dometic CFX65 and it does have that feature (and it is adjustable)

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Dometic CFX65 and it does have that feature (and it is adjustable)
A 500 series should be able to easily run a 65 overnight. However, check out my first post here for what your options are.

OP
OP
chtucker

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
A 500 series should be able to easily run a 65 overnight. However, check out my first post here for what your options are.
Oh, I can figure out relays, timers, dual batteries, isolators, low voltage disconnects, aux circuits.. I can add a outlet if I need to... I was just curious about the rear outlet configuration. I never tested a Ford SUV.. Heck I don't remember if they even had cargo area outlets. as it came through the shop. I assume Ford will do the same in the Bronco.
Ford Bronco Power on with key out of ignition? 72476567_10220332021760330_218490372236509184_n

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh, I can figure out relays, timers, dual batteries, isolators, low voltage disconnects, aux circuits.. I can add a outlet if I need to... I was just curious about the rear outlet configuration. I never tested a Ford SUV.. Heck I don't remember if they even had cargo area outlets. as it came through the shop. I assume Ford will do the same in the Bronco.
Ford Bronco Power on with key out of ignition? 72476567_10220332021760330_218490372236509184_n
Ahh man, I wasted all that damn time typing! ? Well, maybe someone new can benefit.

Think I did see rear outlets, but I wouldn't count on them to stay juiced when the battery fully shuts down into standby mode while it monitors systems, etc.

You will definately want to use some of the knowledge you have on another solution. The Jackery or Goal Zero are your easiest pathway to get what you're looking for without the complex 2 battery system illustrated in your picture.

sbsdevil

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Toyota is famous for shutting off power when the battery is off. My other cars have always left it on. Even my cheap fridge/freezer from Costo will shut off before draining the car battery. The fridge has been one of my best purchases.
Sponsored