Sponsored

PSA: Expedition One Trail Series Rear Bumper w/ Single Swing Tire Carrier System- Failure Point

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

UPDATE! I spoke with Andy and explained the situation. He said he would look into the issue & sent me out a replacement/ spare that included both the tire carrier side as well as the swing gate side (y). I think I will safety rope it for extra insurance & carry the spare on hand. As mentioned, I would keep an eye on this weld incase yours was cold welded as well 🤠

Hey guys,
Just had a near catastrophic event with my tire carrier.
While I was on a trip I was fiddling with some gear in the back of the truck my Expedition One bumper/ tire carrier separated at the dog bone that ties the carrier to the swing gate and the tire carrier swung away almost into the rear corner of the truck 😲. Fortunately, I was able to catch it in time before any real damaged as I was still trying to figure out what the heck just happened. It did rip out my 3rd brake light wires. Thankfully that is an easy fix vice a broken tail light & or crushed corner panel.

On the dog bone, there is a welded stud that threads into the tracking arm so as the door opens and shuts it shifts to allow the 2 different arcs of the swing gate and tire carrier to work without binding. Unfortunately, the weld on the stud at the swing gate side of the dog done let loose. After looking at it, it was clear that it was a cold weld, no penetration 🤨.

Keep an eye on this!

I've reached out to Expedition One and am awaiting a response. I have already had it rewelded, but will try to get a spare to keep handy for insurance. I'll update once I receive a response from Expedition One.

Edit: Arrow points to weld that failed.
Ford Bronco PSA: Expedition One Trail Series Rear Bumper w/ Single Swing Tire Carrier System- Failure Point IMG_1114

Ford Bronco PSA: Expedition One Trail Series Rear Bumper w/ Single Swing Tire Carrier System- Failure Point IMG_1113-1
Sponsored

Last edited:

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dang man, sorry that happened to you. Hopefully they take care of you and take measures to prevent it from happening on future units

Thanks for sharing with us!

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Seems like there was a better engineering opportunity there. Now Im worried about mine considering I have a 39" tire on the back. Looking forward to seeing their response

Sponsored
OP
OP
Felix808

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems like there was a better engineering opportunity there. Now Im worried about mine considering I have a 39" tire on the back. Looking forward to seeing their response
I think engineering is fine as there is not a heavy load on this area as it just holds the tire carrier to the swing gate. The main load is on the tire carrier bearings. The reason it failed is because it was a cold weld. I'm confident that the new weld will be problem free as I could see he got it right. But you want to keep an eye on this weld and any cracking take it out of service to get a good look at it & address any weld issues.

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Do you have pics of the new weld? I may just take it off now before anything happens and have a better weld done.

OP
OP
Felix808

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you have pics of the new weld? I may just take it off now before anything happens and have a better weld done.
The pictures are the new weld.

OP
OP
Felix808

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Updated ^^^ 🤠

Sponsored

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm kind of surprised to see that bushing setup. The majority of the swing bumpers I have seen use a heim joint in that situation.

OP
OP
Felix808

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is the red arrow the new weld? If so, it doesn't look great.
Yes, it is the new weld. At the time I could see the penetration through the back side of tube when he rewelded it.
I will be keeping the spare close at hand once I receive it as well as using a safety rope in the future ;).

OP
OP
Felix808

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm kind of surprised to see that bushing setup. The majority of the swing bumpers I have seen use a heim joint in that situation.
That might be a good way to go if I find it fails in the future :unsure:

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Expy-1 I had on my FJ used Heims. Two ears on the door plate and a M/F heim to connect to the carrier. It worked very well. I can see this design as a cost savings but not an improvement.

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Did you receive a response from EXP 1?