Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

. . . In what type of situation is it advisable to lock the rear diff ?

right, the pages from Owner's Manual spec which Drive modes (i.e. 4A, 4H, 4L, or 2H) are available in each GOAT Mode - see highlighted pages in OP

the Front & Rear Lockers are mostly for situations where one of the wheels is spinning by itself, or when you're worried that may happen
- again you can activate them when needed - saves wear & tear

it's great you have 4A - well worth it
Sponsored

Raynfeathyr

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 1st Edition, Mazda 6, Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It's not always common sense that is the problem. I hopped in thinking I had shut off the engine and spun my dial 3 clicks for sport mode. Problem was engine was running and was already in sport mode.

Although common sense did kick in when I didn't get past 5 miles an hour before the Bronco was giving me all kinds of clues as to what was up. No problem, shifted back out and all was well. Damage is only going to occur if you are romping on it in the wrong mode for conditions.

Dcdds

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For my time at Offroadeo in Moab they kept us in 4L the entire time on the trails we just used lockers manually as needed. They taught that it's fine to go up to 40mph in 4L.. Never used any of the goat modes there.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This thread sucks. I wanted to see carnage, not just a repost of the manual.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Until the GOAT modes stay in the mode you select the next time you start your engine, they are pretty much a useless pain in the ass.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Oh wow. Very good info thank you. I had no idea that you could use normal mode and just turn on 4A. That would probably be more than capable enough for the kind of trails I go on. In what type of situation is it advisable to lock the rear diff?

When you think that "maybe I should not try to make it through", is probably a good time to consider turning on the locker... or if you get stuck.

Juicy

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Door Basesquatch, Corvette C7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

huuuuge rookie question. But with the bronco technology is it safe to change from 2 wheel drive to 4A and vice versa while moving? In other cars its done manually so you're kind of forced to stop/shift to neutral. Since its electronic and i have tried it before and allowed me to switch it while driving, is it safe for the vehicle?

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
huuuuge rookie question. But with the bronco technology is it safe to change from 2 wheel drive to 4A and vice versa while moving? In other cars its done manually so you're kind of forced to stop/shift to neutral. Since its electronic and i have tried it before and allowed me to switch it while driving, is it safe for the vehicle?
Yes. You can switch into 4H at speed as well. It's designed for that.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
While, optimally, you would not do it at speed, it has never been a problem to do so in my Bronco. I have done plenty of stupid things, but you could be going 70 MPH, and shift into or out of 2H/4A and the Bronco does not seem to care.

Do I recommend it, no. Has it caused any problems, no.

Sponsored

FordOwner

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a few
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him."
One of my all-time favorite movies!
Probably not too many people say that about 'A River Runs Through It.

I prefer to not use the GOAT modes but the changes in steering, pedal responsiveness, and shift points are sometimes worth it.

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One of my all-time favorite movies!
Probably not too many people say that about 'A River Runs Through It.

I prefer to not use the GOAT modes but the changes in steering, pedal responsiveness, and shift points are sometimes worth it.
I have a soft spot for the film as well, but my real love is reserved for the book. It is not only chock full of entertaining short stories, but Norman Maclean's writing is simply beautifully readable prose.

His non-fiction novel 'Young Men and Fire", about the 1949 Mann Gulch fire that killed 12 of 15 smokejumpers (as well as another firefighter), and his investigation into the causes of the tragedy, is also an amazing - and moving - read.
Sponsored