Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey, all. I was a lifelong New Yorker until my wife kidnapped and brought me to the land of Brady and Belicheck. I'd never paid excise tax before. That was a revelation. Anyways...

We're purchasing our OBX from a dealer in Nashua, NH, and I was wondering if anyone here had registered a new vehicle in MA that they'd purchased out of state. The rules on the MA RMV website are...Byzantine, to say the least. Apparently MA does not recognize out of state dealer temporary plates, and my dealer is telling me they utilize a service runner, but the process can take a couple of hours.

Is there an easier way for me to do this myself? Thanks. My last resort is going to our local office and asking.
Sponsored

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '18 BMW m240i, '04 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If your dealership is willing to do it, let them. In my experience, Hell is modelled after the MA RMV.

I don't think there will be an easier way for you to personally do it over the dealership. Since it's Nashua, they should be used to registering and paying taxes on MA vehicles.

swanjonson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 2015 VW Golf SEL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree with @Shotsy

The MA RMV is also scheduling appointments for the general public days or weeks out. (This may have gotten better)

The runners know the system and working with the dealers have the correct paper work the first time in.

Not sure where you are driving from, but two trips to the dealership, one for paperwork, one to pick up after registration, would be the least of your pains if you tried to register the vehicle yourself.

Plus, I believe, may not have all the facts, that if you are financing or leasing, the dealership needs to collect and show receipt the sales tax, even though they are just then cutting a check to MA rmv.

OP
OP
RedolentSurge

RedolentSurge

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I agree with @Shotsy

The MA RMV is also scheduling appointments for the general public days or weeks out. (This may have gotten better)

The runners know the system and working with the dealers have the correct paper work the first time in.

Not sure where you are driving from, but two trips to the dealership, one for paperwork, one to pick up after registration, would be the least of your pains if you tried to register the vehicle yourself.

Plus, I believe, may not have all the facts, that if you are financing or leasing, the dealership needs to collect and show receipt the sales tax, even though they are just then cutting a check to MA rmv.
Thank you. The dealer is about 90 minutes from us. They’ve claimed we can get it all done in a day. You’re making me doubt that.

swanjonson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would say you and I could not get it done in a couple days!! The dealers do this every day and those in Southern NH know what it takes.

The runners have relationships with the RMV folks. The waiting may stink for you, but is honestly the best way to get it done...light at the end of the tunnel.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RedolentSurge

RedolentSurge

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would say you and I could not get it done in a couple days!! The dealers do this every day and those in Southern NH know what it takes.

The runners have relationships with the RMV folks. The waiting may stink for you, but is honestly the best way to get it done...light at the end of the tunnel.
The thought of meeting our Bronco only to leave him there, like a newborn in a maternity ward, is terrible.

swanjonson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know, but is there more to your story? I see you ordered Jan of 22, so it is actually like a premi, you didn't even carry to full term!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Having them register is actually the better way to do it.

Could be worse, you could pay for it and have to wait days until your self made appointment at the RMV, only to find you did not have your RMV RTA is missing something.

I know what you are questioning, but I also know the pain of our RMV. Short term pain for the gain.

OP
OP
RedolentSurge

RedolentSurge

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I know, but is there more to your story? I see you ordered Jan of 22, so it is actually like a premi, you didn't even carry to full term!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Having them register is actually the better way to do it.

Could be worse, you could pay for it and have to wait days until your self made appointment at the RMV, only to find you did not have your RMV RTA is missing something.

I know what you are questioning, but I also know the pain of our RMV. Short term pain for the gain.
Yeah, I know we're lucky. When we ordered, we anticipated an 8-12 month wait, and prepared ourselves accordingly. That scheduling email from Ford was a shock.

roofone2

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Totally worth it to let a runner go, especially from Nashua -- that's essentially Mass anyway. I'd be surprise if you had to go back to take possession.

I'm purchasing from PA, so I've just been trying to figure out the registration process myself. I was just able to make an appointment at the RMV for Monday morning.

Last edited:

swanjonson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Totally worth it to let a runner go, especially from Nashua -- that's essentially Mass anyway. I'd be surprise if you had to go back to take possession.

I'm purchasing from PA, so I've just been trying to figure out the registration process myself. I was just able to make an appointment at the RMV for Monday morning.
Who are you purchasing from? I also bought in PA, Chapman. I spoke with a couple Staties about the temp plates. They don't care, as long as your vehicle is registered. I had temp plates on for about 12 days, passed both local and state police, no issues.

I did print and keep a copy of my insurance covers sheet in the Bronco until I got MA plates.

Chapman had a title broker here that registered the Bronco, sent the plates to the, who then over nighted them to me..

Sponsored

roofone2

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Who are you purchasing from? I also bought in PA, Chapman. I spoke with a couple Staties about the temp plates. They don't care, as long as your vehicle is registered. I had temp plates on for about 12 days, passed both local and state police, no issues.

I did print and keep a copy of my insurance covers sheet in the Bronco until I got MA plates.

Chapman had a title broker here that registered the Bronco, sent the plates to the, who then over nighted them to me..
Same, Chapman.

That's good to know about temp plates (I was a little worried about being pulled over, but also wasn't sure if having out of state temp plates would invalidate my insurance).

Though I am planning on using the plates from my current car under the 7 day transfer rule anyway.

If Chapman can transfer the registration for me though, all the better.

swanjonson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same, Chapman.

That's good to know about temp plates (I was a little worried about being pulled over, but also wasn't sure if having out of state temp plates would invalidate my insurance).

Though I am planning on using the plates from my current car under the 7 day transfer rule anyway.

If Chapman can transfer the registration for me though, all the better.
I called Steve and he pulled in the finance manager ( I am forgetting his name) to explain the different scenarios.

They have been selling vehicles to Mass residents long before the Bronco so they have it down.

As for insurance, they just wanted the VIN # to insure for the ride up, and then I had 20(?) days to call them back with the MA plate #s.

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
MA is a nice place to visit but you don't want to live there, as you are discovering.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought my boat and trailer private party in NH last spring. I didn’t have any trouble getting either one registered in MA. I had to pay sales tax on the bill of sale amounts at RMV and to the marine police to register, excise tax bills came from the town a couple months later. I also transferred my 2001 Expedition from AZ to MA in November 2020 with no issues at RMV. The sales tax wasn’t charged because I owned the vehicle for a few years prior. The town sent the excise tax bill later, $80 or so. Just make sure you have the proper stamped form from insurance prior to going to the RMV for anything.

I purchased my Bronco in MA in December 2021, I received an excise bill in January for $35 for 2021 and just received the 2022 excise tax bill on my Bronco yesterday, $608. It’s not all doom and gloom here. In AZ the equivalent excise tax was collected in the registration rather than being a separate tax bill from the town, so plates were $1000+ rather than the $120 plate fee and separate excise tax in MA. With the sales tax on purchase being 6.25% vs the 9.3% in AZ, the overall cost on registration/excise is cheaper in MA until year 10. I do miss that AZ $70 one time permanent trailer plate though…and my gun rights…and the sun…and proper Mexican food…and mountains…and everything rust free…
Sponsored