Sponsored

Question/Opinion: Carry a 37 spare, or keep the Spare delete?

Spare on, or Spare off?

• Total voters

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As the title says, I am debating to put my spare back on. I run a spare delete ATM, with two small roto X cans out back, but I have considered putting my 37 spare back on. To do so I would need to get a tire reinforcement. I do not do any hardcore rock crawling and such, just some trail stuff and what S. Fl can offer us.

The question or opinion is:

Is it worth carrying the spare? Or just leave it off?
Sponsored

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As the title says, I am debating to put my spare back on. I run a spare delete ATM, with two small roto X cans out back, but I have considered putting my 37 spare back on. To do so I would need to get a tire reinforcement. I do not do any hardcore rock crawling and such, just some trail stuff and what S. Fl can offer us.

It's been my experience that as soon as I take something out/off of my truck...I end up needing it shortly after. Go figure.🤣

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wildtrak, Audi RS5 B8.5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I personally like the look of the spare fitted on the back, the reinforcement bracket is a pretty straightforward thing to install imo (I did the rough country).

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don't understand why people wouldn't want a spare.

The reinforcement is simple.

cashe3

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Installed the Hammerbuilt spare support @DoYouBronco with the wife assisting last weekend. So easy we didn't have a cross word.

Sponsored

TEAMSLO

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco 2.7 4d Oxford White & 22' JLURD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The only time a spare comes into play is when dropping down off a ledge/rock. I have removed mine on the jeep when I know I'm going to be coming down off something significant. But this took a bit more $$$ to do it easily.

I have the teraflex HD carrier package when running the spare. Without the spare, I leave the hinged spare tire carrier and just remove the HD tire mount and replace with the tire delete kit. Ended up purchasing a spare camera so that way I wouldn't constantly have to swap it on out, also a 3rd brake light.

Not sure if this is something available in the bronco world, if so..... I will be doing the same on the bronco as well.

All longer distance trails away from my local area, I will run the spare, but local, when needed, ill remove it.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The only time a spare comes into play is when dropping down off a ledge/rock. I have removed mine on the jeep when I know I'm going to be coming down off something significant. But this took a bit more $$$ to do it easily.

I have the teraflex HD carrier package when running the spare. Without the spare, I leave the hinged spare tire carrier and just remove the HD tire mount and replace with the tire delete kit. Ended up purchasing a spare camera so that way I wouldn't constantly have to swap it on out, also a 3rd brake light.

Not sure if this is something available in the bronco world, if so..... I will be doing the same on the bronco as well.

All longer distance trails away from my local area, I will run the spare, but local, when needed, ill remove it.
I didn't do it at Sand Hollow, but should have, just let most of the air out of the spare so that when you do drop on it, it has a lot of give.

TEAMSLO

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I didn't do it at Sand Hollow, but should have, just let most of the air out of the spare so that when you do drop on it, it has a lot of give.
Yeah for the most part itll be fine. I run 8lbs in my spare as its mounted on a beadlock. But there are still some ledges that are a drop and I'd rather not chance getting a warped tailgate and such haha.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I carry sockets and an electric impact gun to remove my beadlock rings in the event of a flat that would be caused by a puncture. I have a super size inner tube that I would then install and put my beadlock ring back on. I carry on-board air and tire tools. This solution isn't for everybody, but it will work for me. Storing the 37" tire inside my 2-door was just not working for me, and this inner tube and tools fit well inside the rear cubby. I would have preferred to keep the spare inside vertically BUT there is only 34" between the floor and the roll cage

ws2d5qP.jpg

5OcIphk.jpg

R5Fle6e.jpg

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yeah for the most part itll be fine. I run 8lbs in my spare as its mounted on a beadlock. But there are still some ledges that are a drop and I'd rather not chance getting a warped tailgate and such haha.
And the corrollary is that I drove 1000 miles to get to Sand Hollow of Moab. I don't know if I like driving that far without a spare..Age old question with no right or wrong answer... Different solutions if you have beadlocks or not... which I do.

Sponsored

TEAMSLO

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
And the corrollary is that I drove 1000 miles to get to Sand Hollow of Moab. I don't know if I like driving that far without a spare..Age old question with no right or wrong answer... Different solutions if you have beadlocks or not... which I do.
Yeah I would not be doing a road trip without a spare haha. If there was something questionable, Id be leaving the spare in the hotel 😁

35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
I carry two spares. I'm a crazy person. I'd NEVER delete. Lost in the desert with 2 flats, which has happened, stinks. If you're fancy with a tire repair kit you might slide by with 1, but changing a tire with a full size spare on the back is so much easier.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you need a spare and don't have one, how far are you willing to walk? Do you wheel with friends? Do you wheel in remote areas not easily accessible by a tow vehicle?

I do a fair amount of off-roading in remote areas of Montana. Most areas there is no cell service. The nearest help may be several hours away. In a case like that it is foolish to leave it behind. If going to a local ORV park, I wouldn't bother with it.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would add the spare tire and re-enforced bracket. Better to be safe than sorry, plus it looks MUCH better, IMO.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

i wheel and i understand the possible benefits to a spare delete but...i keep mine like the look and like the peace of mind
Sponsored