Sponsored

Questions : 2.3L MT non-Sas BL 2dr with MGV?

motocane

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've tried searching and I'm not sure I've seen anything on point from an actual owner with some miles of experience in their Bronco (vs hearsay reports or short test drives) .

1) How is the power of the 2.3L? I've decided this will be a 2nd vehicle just for fun, not my DD, but I don't want something woefully underpowered getting onto the interstate or trying to pass at highway speeds (75+).

2) Any regrets going 2dr vs 4dr? True to original Bronco and I love the 2dr look but there is a reason Jeep sells a ton more 4dr than 2dr these days...I've got a 4dr SUV already though.

3) How are the MGV seats? Do they get super hot (compared to leather)? Ford leather seems pretty low quality so I don't see the reason to pay $2,200 for what doesn't really seem like an upgrade if MGV is nice and durable.

4) Does the 2dr hard top have the popping noise issues many have reported on the 4dr?

5) Any downside to the manual? Since it won't be my DD, I'm not concerned about a manual in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I think one pedal drive and remote start are out. Anything else?

FYI - I want the Lux package but OB/WT don't offer MGV and the non-Sas BLs is already as capable as I'd ever need (they had non-Sas BLs at the Austin Off-Roadeo handle everything just fine) so this build seems like it could be the sweet spot.

Sorry if this has been covered separately but appreciate input from one of the lucky few who has received this specific build! Apologizes in advance to the Dirt Mountain crowd who wish they could answer but are still waiting for their 2 doors.
Sponsored

BattleBornBronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4dr owner here for 7MT Badlands.

I enjoy it.

I was passing people doing 80 in the 4 door. Plenty of get up and go. In Vail Colorado I had a short uphill on-ramp to get to 75 and did so easily.

I hadn’t owned a manual for 5 years so I would say this manual is very forgiving to relearn on instantly.

Several sections of the interstate in Colorado were under construction and the stop and go shifting was not bad at all. After my first road trip, I decided this will be my daily driver since I love driving the Bronco so much.

You will miss out on trail turn which to me is the biggest loss for a 4dr on shelf roads…

For MGV, I think it would be similarly hot as black leather, but white grey or saddle leather would be cooler. Very comfy and surprisingly plush.

If you have questions feel free to message me.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm going to answer based on someone who has driven several Broncos on and off-road, but still waiting for my own. Please disregard if better answers come along.

1.)I have the 2.3L in my Ranger Tremor and its a beast of an engine. Don't think for a second it will feel underpowered. You'll experience a bit of turbo lag, but that fixed via tuning. Once you tune the 2.3L, its about on par with the 2.7L anyways, minus 50 torque's. For that split second when you have no boost (like right off the line), you're running on about 60HP. You'll feel that for about half a second until the revs hit 2K and off ya go.

2.)Purely subjective, can't help ya there. 4 door is what my Bronco is (will be here this week sometime), because I need room for gear for my expeditions. 2 Door is just too small for extended outings. I agree, it does look better though.

3.)Just fine. I recently took a Badlands out for about an hour on a day when it was about 100f. Never had any issues at all with warm seats. I actually tend to run my seat heater in the summer anyways because it feels great on the back.. so maybe I'm not the best one to answer on that.

4.)Yes. Same Badlands as the last answer.. MIC 2.0 top (supposedly) and its not quiet. Lots of squeaking when off-road. To me, it sounds like the rubber gaskets catching and slipping on the plastic of the MIC top as it flexes around. I'm going to try to 'gasket dressing' to see if it quiets it down when I get mine.

5.)I can't answer this as I ordered an 2.7L w/auto and Ford won't let you drive a manual at events if you don't have one on order.

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 4dr so I won't answer the 2 door stuff, but I second this manual is SUPER easy to drive. It adds throttle without your input up to about 1100-1200 rpm.

I've got plenty of power, I really don't know what people think they're driving. It's not a Corvette or mustang GT but it can certainly get out of its own way when you stomp it.

The shifter to me feels notchy and I think that's from the cable set up. I had mechanical linkage on my Tacoma.

I drove it home in southern California bumper to bumper (3 hours).... It was soooooo easy compare to my Tacoma. It practically drives itself in comparison. The clutch to me is super soft as well, so no left leg clutch fatigue.

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People saying the 2.3 is slow in any trim are trying to impress you with how fast their previous vehicles are/were.

It's a phenomenon that Matt Farrah first identified years ago- Internet/Youtube comment horsepower versus horsepower in the real world.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've tried searching and I'm not sure I've seen anything on point from an actual owner with some miles of experience in their Bronco (vs hearsay reports or short test drives) .

1) How is the power of the 2.3L? I've decided this will be a 2nd vehicle just for fun, not my DD, but I don't want something woefully underpowered getting onto the interstate or trying to pass at highway speeds (75+).
It has lots of power, anyone who says otherwise either hasn't driven it or was expecting a rocketship, IMO.

2) Any regrets going 2dr vs 4dr? True to original Bronco and I love the 2dr look but there is a reason Jeep sells a ton more 4dr than 2dr these days...I've got a 4dr SUV already though.
I have a 4 door, and wish I had 2, if that counts.
3) How are the MGV seats? Do they get super hot (compared to leather)? Ford leather seems pretty low quality so I don't see the reason to pay $2,200 for what doesn't really seem like an upgrade if MGV is nice and durable.
I love the MGV seats, the look like leather (ish) and are very comfortable.
5) Any downside to the manual? Since it won't be my DD, I'm not concerned about a manual in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I think one pedal drive and remote start are out. Anything else?
I was expecting the gearbox to be garbage since it's a Getrag (I think?), and actually it is a very smooth shifting box, but the throws are a bit long for my tastes, but that's more me being used to cars and not trucks.
Sponsored